Great New St. John's Merch

Merchandise looks lame in my opinion. Support the program, buy the real stuff.

The athletic department continues to be an abject failure on the merchandising end. You walk into the school store and they don't even sell a basketball jersey. By comparison, I can tell you that the Hofstra school store sells both home AND away jerseys in their store year-round. I am not going to support the half-assed efforts.

Yeah it's kind of sad, the gear that team wears, such as the batman inspired gotham city warm up, and the jerseys and warm-ups incorporating the map of queens, are never made available to us. The team has some really cool gear but UA doesn't sell it to us. That said the crown shirt was a huge step in the right direction.

I would be very surprised if they don't hear from the school or under armour pretty quickly.

Likely won't. Its a pimple on UA's ass and the school is lost in this area.

I'm not sure. It's a logo that the school discarded because they found it racially insensitive. Now a third party has resurrected this logo for commercial gain. I agree that SJU is clueless in this area but if they become aware they'd probably send a cease and desist, and forbid the sale of those items with the threat of legal action.

what kind of legal action ? They have no claim on that logo anymore and they don't call themselves the redmen

Legal rights do not mean much if the school chose to fight this in court. They have greater monetary resources, and if they argue that they do not want even the nickname of the team associated with a racially insensitive image, the courts could side with them on that basis.

My comments have nothing to do with Johnny Jungle pro or con. For the record, I take no issue with the image itself, and felt the school did nothing for the plight of Native Americans by changing the team name. Had they gone the extra mile of providing some assistance to local Native American tribes, or offered some courses in Native American history, I'd havbe been more impressed.

Thanks for this was thrilled they still had the crown tee on the bookstore website, was looking for it for a while but didn't think of the book store after I struck out with the redstorm shop and the UA site.

I would be very surprised if they don't hear from the school or under armour pretty quickly.

Likely won't. Its a pimple on UA's ass and the school is lost in this area.

I'm not sure. It's a logo that the school discarded because they found it racially insensitive. Now a third party has resurrected this logo for commercial gain. I agree that SJU is clueless in this area but if they become aware they'd probably send a cease and desist, and forbid the sale of those items with the threat of legal action.

what kind of legal action ? They have no claim on that logo anymore and they don't call themselves the redmen

Legal rights do not mean much if the school chose to fight this in court. They have greater monetary resources, and if they argue that they do not want even the nickname of the team associated with a racially insensitive image, the courts could side with them on that basis.

My comments have nothing to do with Johnny Jungle pro or con. For the record, I take no issue with the image itself, and felt the school did nothing for the plight of Native Americans by changing the team name. Had they gone the extra mile of providing some assistance to local Native American tribes, or offered some courses in Native American history, I'd havbe been more impressed.

It seems to be kind of a legal grey area (I'm not a legal expert). The school went to lengths to remove themselves from all things Redmen, and now a company is reproducing the logo and once again forcing St. John's to be associated with the nickname again.

It's ironic you're so concerned with 'Redmen' on a shirt yet you have no problem typing it into your computer everyday.

I'm more than open to suggestions if there is something else you'd like to see.

It's ironic you're so concerned with 'Redmen' on a shirt yet you have no problem typing it into your computer everyday.

I type "busty Filipinas" into my browser several times a week, but I wouldn't wear it on a T-shirt. :lol:

I'm more than open to suggestions if there is something else you'd like to see.

Dave, I really don't care about the name Redmen, but was questioning whether SJU would challenge the use of an old logo of a caricature of an Indian that they probably wish they never had. I've seen SJU jackets with an image of an Indian chief that I do not think anyone could take exception to. Some native American organization ran an ad some years ago that took various races, ethnicities and religions and created stereotypical caricatures about Jews, blacks, Latinos, and other groups subject to prejudice to illustrate how offensive it would be to caricature those groups.

You may be safe if the image is declared to be in the public domain, but perhaps somewhere is the artist who created it who might want his cut - after all, you are profiting from this stuff I suppose. I don't think anyone could care about the use of the name redmen, but the image may cause you problems.

Most of the merch is terrible. SJU has been so mom and pop for so long, they don't even know what to do re: branding and marketing. If Mullins teams take off, I have no doubt they will be behind when it comes to capitalizing. Perfect example was them letting the "SJU" copyright expire. Amateurs!

Most of the merch is terrible. SJU has been so mom and pop for so long, they don't even know what to do re: branding and marketing. If Mullins teams take off, I have no doubt they will be behind when it comes to capitalizing. Perfect example was them letting the "SJU" copyright expire. Amateurs!

Wrong info as far as I know. I think the problem was that St. Joseph's University registered the domain name sju.edu before st. john's did. Rather than purchase it or try to, the dilemna was that by continuing to try to use the brand SJU, they feared it would drive potential students to St. Joseph's website. So they tried STJ on merchandise. As far as I know, that was the issue, not a copyright expiration.

Wrong info as far as I know. I think the problem was that St. Joseph's University registered the domain name sju.edu before st. john's did. Rather than purchase it or try to, the dilemna was that by continuing to try to use the brand SJU, they feared it would drive potential students to St. Joseph's website. So they tried STJ on merchandise. As far as I know, that was the issue, not a copyright expiration.

this would make sence because the other st johns (Minn) uses an sju logo.

Back