Good Luck Glenn Taylor

Would have gladly welcomed him back, but our big man target isn't someone who will put up big points, so we really needed a guy at GT's spot who was going to be more aggressive offensively.

In the words of the immortal Al Arbour, "I can teach a player to check. I can't teach him to score goals."

Exactly the kind of kid who Pitino really should have tried to keep. Heart, continuity, someone we can relate to and watch develop. He’ll be replaced by someone we don’t know, will be gone before we do, and may or may not live up to expectations. The whole thing sucks. Time to give up season tickets and get a subscription to the opera…

Exactly the kind of kid who Pitino really should have tried to keep. Heart, continuity, someone we can relate to and watch develop. He’ll be replaced by someone we don’t know, will be gone before we do, and may or may not live up to expectations. The whole thing sucks. Time to give up season tickets and get a subscription to the opera…
How does he keep a kid who wanted more minutes than he was going to ever get here?

Glenn was the only newcomer who exceeded my expectations. Clearly a high character kid with a nice two way game. Was looking forward to seeing his development.

We better have RJ locked up
Sorry for sounding ignorant, but it seemed Taylor and RJ filled similar roles on the team, but RJ was just better at being the disrupter/athletic play maker than Taylor. If it was a choice between the two for minutes next year, RJ is the better option, imo. Really loved Taylor's hustle and attitude, and I hope he kills it on his next team....in the Mountain West Conference.

Sorry for sounding ignorant, but it seemed Taylor and RJ filled similar roles on the team, but RJ was just better at being the disrupter/athletic play maker than Taylor. If it was a choice between the two for minutes next year, RJ is the better option, imo. Really loved Taylor's hustle and attitude, and I hope he kills it on his next team....in the Mountain West Conference.
RJ is the much better offensive player, Taylor the much better defender.

I don’t think it came down to just Luis…Taylor probably felt squeezed by Dunlap, Glover, and a high level transfer wing we will likely land.

Dunlap, in particular, could REALLY emerge next season.

Heard from excellent source that Dunlap has already moved up the team chart to second worst dancer. Sky is the limit by next fall
Greek people have rhythm so it's not the other white guy. 😁

I guess my vote goes to Maker being way too gangly to look smooth.

Glenn was a hard worker who seemed to sacrifice bis offensive game for the good of the team. His departure doesn’t surprise me with the emergence of Luis, the addition of Glover and the potential of Dunlap. Also it seems that Pitino, as the season progressed, put more emphasis on offense with such comments like “I told the team to score as many points as they could” which if true, would not seem to fit into Taylor’s strength.

I don’t think it came down to just Luis…Taylor probably felt squeezed by Dunlap, Glover, and a high level transfer wing we will likely land.

Dunlap, in particular, could REALLY emerge next season.
Hopefully Dunlap will improve, but suggesting Taylor felt squeezed by Dunlap and a freshman whose never played a game at the college level is pretty silly.

Last edited:
Glenn was a hard worker who seemed to sacrifice bis offensive game for the good of the team. His departure doesn’t surprise me with the emergence of Luis, the addition of Glover and the potential of Dunlap. Also it seems that Pitino, as the season progressed, put more emphasis on offense with such comments like “I told the team to score as many points as they could” which if true, would not seem to fit into Taylor’s strength.
Pitino is not abandoning defense for offense. Quite the opposite. The comments you reference were specific to this year’s team bc while the team was proficient offensively, it had significant defensive weaknesses. Pitino understood the best way for that team to win was to be aggressive offensively. Those comments in no way suggest that Pitino is devaluing defensive minded players going forward.

Taylor’s statement suggests a return is possible. Would be great to see him on the team next year

Pitino is not abandoning defense for offense. Quite the opposite. The comments you reference were specific to this year’s team bc while the team was proficient offensively, it had significant defensive weaknesses. Pitino understood the best way for that team to win was to be aggressive offensively. Those comments in no way suggest that Pitino is devaluing defensive minded players going forward.
I have a different take on that. Perhaps, now that coach sees the caliper of player he’s bringing on board in the transfer portal (high scoring upper class men set in their ways), his philosophy is changing. While not abandoning a defensive philosophy all together, he will be building upon their strengths which is obviously on the offensive end and make a high scoring offense the priority.

Taylor’s statement suggests a return is possible. Would be great to see him on the team next year
I think we will move forward without him. I liked his effort last season, but he will be a senior next season, and will he be a senior-skilled player considering his offensive limits.

I have a different take on that. Perhaps, now that coach sees the caliper of player he’s bringing on board in the transfer portal (high scoring upper class men set in their ways), his philosophy is changing. While not abandoning a defensive philosophy all together, he will be building upon their strengths which is obviously on the offensive end and make a high scoring offense the priority.
Taylor was a valuable player for us . He was a good defender , relentless in his pursuit of the guy he was guarding and a sneaky rebounder .
As for his offense , it wasn’t that he didn’t have that game but , with Jenkins ,Dingle , Ledlum , Soriano being the focus of the offense , he didn’t get get the ball much . When he did , he didn’t hog it .

Luis on the other hand , got the ball and the other 4 guys had to watch mostly . Not downplaying RJ but , that’s who he is .

Taylor is a great teammate and hope he enjoyed his time at St John’s as I know most fans liked watching him play . We will miss you Glenn.
If there is a little chance you stay , think about it .

Back