Dingle/Ledlum court case

Ledlum, Dingle, Kadary, Omier??

Shocked Oprah Winfrey GIF

I recall Fordham provided examples of cases where NCAA denied similar requests by former Ivy League athletes. Not sure that those decisions were challenged in court like this. One thing for sure, the craziness we are seeing this year with exorbitant NIL agreements makes the claim(s) of irreparable harm by denying them the ability to earn NIL may be pretty persuasive to a court looking at this case.

Will be very interesting to see how this plays out.

From Zach, re this court case:

Spoke to a sports attorney, Mit Winter, on lawsuit filed by Jordan Dingle and Chris Ledlum.

"I definitely don't think it's a slam dunk case by any means. On the antitrust issue, I think there's a valid argument that it's a responsible restraint of trade to limit the number of years, especially in this instance. But I could see a court also saying it's not responsible, that it was arbitrary in this instance when everyone else got to play five years and these guys got to play four."

From Zach, re this court case:

Spoke to a sports attorney, Mit Winter, on lawsuit filed by Jordan Dingle and Chris Ledlum.

"I definitely don't think it's a slam dunk case by any means. On the antitrust issue, I think there's a valid argument that it's a responsible restraint of trade to limit the number of years, especially in this instance. But I could see a court also saying it's not responsible, that it was arbitrary in this instance when everyone else got to play five years and these guys got to play four."
Jackson Lewis is a very well respected firm in the area of employment law (and immigration, not relevant here). My company used to use them quite a bit.
The question in my mind is whether the NCAA will have the appetite to litigate a case that is not a slam dunk where lost opportunity for NIL will be front and center. We'll see.

What if we have 2 spots left, and we're still unsue of Ledum and Dingle but we could definitely get Smith.and the Miami kid. We'd have to just get those 2, right?

Not a law wizard by any stretch but don't these type of things usually take a while to be resolved in the court system? Don't both of them have to decide whether or not they are entering the draft or retaining their college eligibility (if they win the court case) before a certain date that may arrive before this is resolved in court?
The ruling that did not allow the NCAA to enforce their rule requiring non-graduate transfer students sit out a year if they had already transferred once was ruled on within months of filing. Of course that was in a different jurisdiction.

Send my big buddy Sal to Indianapolis to “chat 😇

Reminds me of the poster who use to keep posting a picture of Lamont Hamilton with a “Free Lamont” caption below it after he was suspended for the Pittsburgh incident.

I hope they win because they should have the fifth year whether they play it here or not.

If the case looks murky I would not begrudge the other of them for putting their name in the portal just in case the roster make up changes significantly. Just as I wouldn’t begrudge our coaching staff for recruiting as if those scholarships will be available.

If the case looks murky I would not begrudge the other of them for putting their name in the portal just in case the roster make up changes significantly. Just as I wouldn’t begrudge our coaching staff for recruiting as if those scholarships will be available.
This brings up an interesting point. If it's not resolved by May 1, would they even be allowed to?

Spots mean nothing anymore as long as you float a kid the cost of tuition, room, and board on top of the NIL that he would have gotten.
What was the quote I used yesterday about Irish families..."There's always room for one more..."

Rick will make it work. SJU had 14 players on 13 scholarships this past year...

He's going after UCONN. he's not going after 5th place.

What was the quote I used yesterday about Irish families..."There's always room for one more..."

Rick will make it work. SJU had 14 players on 13 scholarships this past year...

He's going after UCONN. he's not going after 5th place.
I get that. But last year had Conway, Davis, Ayo, Traore and a Freshman Brady. This year everybody on the team minus Ayo is going to want and expect minutes

These two obviousky were large contributors to a team that did not make the tournament. Am i the only one that doesn’t really want ledlum back?

We won 20 games with them. The metrics were good enough. Not making the tournament was more of the committee and bid stealers doing .I would take them back in a heartbeat.
Completely agree. Even if they were part of second unit they’d be great. Could see Dingle as kind of a Vin Johnson (dating myself) off the bench.

Back