Did they give up?

In his last years at UVa Pete Gillen had a 6'6" designated shooter (slow white guy whose name I cannot remember) who would come in with all of his super athletes and stand outside and pop 3's. Super athletes had a lot more room to work as you couldn't leave him alone. If jamal White can play a drop of D and stand outside making space for our high D1 talent, things might actually be a bit interesting until Lavin brings in reinforcements. 

Good point but so far we haven't looked at or signed even one recruit who isn't a so called "top 100 guy." Lavin has steadfastly ignored roster filler type players and that's why we have a half a team out there. The funny thing though is how many second tier kids have hurt us over the years. Hey, it's easy enough to get rid of players when you need space and Lavin has shown no reluctance to do it so I really don't see the wisdom of shorting ourselves and overworking the starters when things don't pan out.
  Good point. Ive always said not every recruit has to be a 4 star player. We need depth. so far we are lucky re: injuries, but the transfers have killed us. Always have to be prepared for transfers, injuries and foul trouble, and even the possibility that we may not get that many of our targeted recruits. A 3 star big body off the bench is always good to have. The 4 and 5 positions are more prone to fouling and we have had to play more timid because we have no backups at those positions.

In his last years at UVa Pete Gillen had a 6'6" designated shooter (slow white guy whose name I cannot remember) who would come in with all of his super athletes and stand outside and pop 3's. Super athletes had a lot more room to work as you couldn't leave him alone. If jamal White can play a drop of D and stand outside making space for our high D1 talent, things might actually be a bit interesting until Lavin brings in reinforcements. 

Good point but so far we haven't looked at or signed even one recruit who isn't a so called "top 100 guy." Lavin has steadfastly ignored roster filler type players and that's why we have a half a team out there. The funny thing though is how many second tier kids have hurt us over the years. Hey, it's easy enough to get rid of players when you need space and Lavin has shown no reluctance to do it so I really don't see the wisdom of shorting ourselves and overworking the starters when things don't pan out.

Along these lines I just took a look at Ron Roberts' numbers for St Joseph's this year. He's shooting .611 from the floor and averaging 11.2 ppg with 6 boards per game. Yeah we could never have used a guy like that. Just another brilliant decision by the infallible staff we have. Oh but I'm delusional etc., etc......

Delusional? No. Monomaniacal or intergalactic? We will have to do further tests. :silly:

Along these lines I just took a look at Ron Roberts' numbers for St Joseph's this year. He's shooting .611 from the floor and averaging 11.2 ppg with 6 boards per game. Yeah we could never have used a guy like that. Just another brilliant decision by the infallible staff we have. Oh but I'm delusional etc., etc......

Delusional? No. Monomaniacal or intergalactic? We will have to do further tests. :silly:

Do me a favor test Lavin too. He's been a little intergalactic this year as well.

Basketball at St. John's was DEAD. He needed to make a big splash to get it going again. We'll start seeing one filler kid a year in about two years, but we're not winning a championship with a roster full of them, which is what at times you seem to want. Norm's whole roster was filler -- did you like those results?

Ron Roberts didn't fit the staff's high-flying style. Would he have helped now? Of course, but every one of the guys on our recruiting board right now is a better high school player than Roberts.

Man, I hate St. John's fans!

Guess you hate yourself too then huh? Maybe when things start going well again the boards will brighten once again with only flowery posts. :cheer:

2x is a pattern. Anyone who thinks that that hasn't had a toll on the team is kidding themselves. Its hurting the team. Its demoralizing and has impacted their effort. Especially once they get down by double digits (again). We all know that Dunlap is a fantastic X and O guy. But there is reason no one has given him a shot to run a D-1 team on his own permanently. I really dont think the kids relate to him. He's too old school and too much of a dictator.

Please repsond with your red glasses and confirm that SJU is still the best team in the world and nothing is wrong.

Thanks, 

I don't own red glasses but please confirm where you got your ability to dissect so profoundly a group dynamic when you probably haven't shared a word of conversation with any of them. You guys react to the ebb and flow of a season like an FBI profiler studying a serial killer. These guys are going through a set of circumstances no other team has ever confronted and all you "fans" can do is wonder if they are quitters. They are anything but....Me, I saw a team that got a lot of great looks in the game that wouldn't go down; obviously we are not a great shooting team; when shots don't go down teams look bad. No one quit and there is nothing wrong with the program, except for the unusual circumstances left by Roberts and the unusual circumstances preventing Lavin from coaching.

If the games were free you might even have a point for a change. Unfortunately however, people are paying a lot of money for entertainment which, over the past couple of games, they haven't been getting. We just got destroyed by a team we beat earlier in the year on the road. It happens. What you don't usually see in BE games though is the unmolested layups on your home court etc. that we saw in abumdance last night. We couldn't stop the Little Sisters of the Poor in that game and you don't have to be an FBI profiler to see that there's something wrong with this picture. I see low morale, lack of effort, fatigue and disillusionment all at the same time. There have been too many positives to call them quitters however. That would be tantamount to calling Lavin a quitter. Clearly though, the madness has to stop soon before long term damage results. I remember the effect Willis Reed dragging his leg onto the court had and I really hope Lavin finds it within himself to put in an appearance before long. Beyond that we,ve got about as much to look forward to as we did under Norm Roberts at this point. The blind faith thing just doesn't cut it for me unless we can find a way to have our opponents buy in. Well, they aren't and neither is the team right now.

Great post
When you work for a corporation and they are paying you over a million a yr ( do not know exactly what coach makes) .If your producing you keep your job If not you know what happens. Its up a schools adm to set what they
.feel are success goals IMO think caoch and staff will bring us back to glory days. Some are not as patient and want success and.gratification.immediately..Think we must wait but can see their frustration.

Basketball at St. John's was DEAD. He needed to make a big splash to get it going again. We'll start seeing one filler kid a year in about two years, but we're not winning a championship with a roster full of them, which is what at times you seem to want. Norm's whole roster was filler -- did you like those results?

Ron Roberts didn't fit the staff's high-flying style. Would he have helped now? Of course, but every one of the guys on our recruiting board right now is a better high school player than Roberts.

Hate to say it but very many of Norm's recruits wound up playing pro ball as we speak. He just couldn't coach. Surely you're not going to say that the year with Lavin caused that? Please don't embarass yourself like that. As for your analysis of Roberts his frosh season has been the equal of all but Moe and Harrison. If he keeps it up he will be the next Roberts recruit that winds up playing pro ball. The guy is 6'8", shoots for a super high percentage and rebounds. And he wouldn't have been a tremendous asset? Cmon get real!

Hate to say it but very many of Norm's recruits wound up playing pro ball as we speak. He just couldn't coach. Surely you're not going to say that the year with Lavin caused that? Please don't embarass yourself like that. As for your analysis of Roberts his frosh season has been the equal of all but Moe and Harrison. If he keeps it up he will be the next Roberts recruit that winds up playing pro ball. The guy is 6'8", shoots for a super high percentage and rebounds. And he wouldn't have been a tremendous asset? Cmon get real!

The ultimate goal is to play in the NBA. Not every professional league around the world is worth the salt to play in. Believe it or not, there are some shoddy leagues out there. Recruits like to hear "National Basketball Association." Not playing abroad. Of course, all of 'em aren't gonna make it there, but that is one of the better selling points for recruits.

Yeah, there are some many good stories about guys making a very, good living by playing professionally overseas, and I like to hear about the guys from last season playing professional ball. But, the NBA reigns supreme in the eyes of these kids (as, well as it should be).

Bobre- Ron Roberts is a soph and his fr season was in no way the equal of Mo or Dlo. 

to get back on topic-- I thought they played hard and with heart today against Georgetown

to get back on topic-- I thought they played hard and with heart today against Georgetown
That's not on topic-thread is in regard to the Cincy game not the G'town game. :)  

I'm not sure everyone from last year's team playing pro right now is a pro if Norm stayed. Winning attracted a lot of attention, and Norm would not have won with those kids.

And I guess it's plausible that Ron Roberts has grown two inches since he was committed here, but he was not 6'8"at the time.

Ron Roberts:

Freshman year -- 6.4 points, 4.7 rebounds, less than a block, assist and steal per game. (St. Joes was 11-22)
Sophomore year -- 11.3 points, 6.1 rebounds., less than a block, assist and steal per game. (St. Joes is 16-10)

Career barely 50 percent from the FT line. (Shot 47 percent as frosh).

Harkless so far as a freshman, in a tougher conference -- 16 point, 8.4 reb, 1.5 blocks, 1.5 assists, 1.5 steals.
Shooting 67 percent from the line.

Back