Did they give up?

I saw the same poor attitude and lack of effort last night and couldn't understand it. After learning about Stith I realized it WAS about him. The team was in shock and disbelief. They were so distracted by this "punch in the gut" they couldn't focus on the game. Let's not forget that the newbies all respected and looked up to him. They even gave him the respected nickname "Pops". They loved their teammate and are grieving from this loss. 

To me last night was more about a group of kids that expected to win again over Cincy just because they beat them on the road two weeks ago. They didn't understand that it's damn hard for any team to sweep a conference opponent...let alone a group of freshman. They know now.

The only quitting has come from most of our fanbase. It's absurd.

Sith quits and everyone tries hard to see the ship sinking instead of something positive. I've heard Branch is an absolute stud. Why is it more probable that something bad is going to happend then Lavin adding another recruit this week? Riddle me that?

Good point Marillac. I posted about this being about Stith's departure, and to a degree I think it is. But I think you make a good point about a bunch of Freshmen being overconfident against a team they already beat on the road.

The good news is I don't think they'll be overconfident on Sat, and the staff has to do a little repair work on their psyche.

P.S. This program is in the best shape it's been ... since forever, because this program never had winning a national championship as it's real goal. Or a coach or staff who committed to it.

They gave up in last nights game, it was a blowout from start to finish looked like a Norm Roberts coached team out there, bad shot selection, no offense, I felt they played better against Cuse(at least offensively).

They were in a mental fog, Stith could have waited till the end of the season to leave.

A solid goal right now would be to finish the year at .500, let's stop the thinking " let's wait till more recruits come in, or coach gets better". This team needs to get better now, they need to show the effort they gave against Duke on the road or against WVA at home.

Lavin needs to give them the riot act today in practice.....Stop babying this team.

2x is a pattern. Anyone who thinks that that hasn't had a toll on the team is kidding themselves. Its hurting the team. Its demoralizing and has impacted their effort. Especially once they get down by double digits (again). We all know that Dunlap is a fantastic X and O guy. But there is reason no one has given him a shot to run a D-1 team on his own permanently. I really dont think the kids relate to him. He's too old school and too much of a dictator.

Please repsond with your red glasses and confirm that SJU is still the best team in the world and nothing is wrong.

Thanks, 

I don't own red glasses but please confirm where you got your ability to dissect so profoundly a group dynamic when you probably haven't shared a word of conversation with any of them. You guys react to the ebb and flow of a season like an FBI profiler studying a serial killer. These guys are going through a set of circumstances no other team has ever confronted and all you "fans" can do is wonder if they are quitters. They are anything but....Me, I saw a team that got a lot of great looks in the game that wouldn't go down; obviously we are not a great shooting team; when shots don't go down teams look bad. No one quit and there is nothing wrong with the program, except for the unusual circumstances left by Roberts and the unusual circumstances preventing Lavin from coaching.

If the games were free you might even have a point for a change. Unfortunately however, people are paying a lot of money for entertainment which, over the past couple of games, they haven't been getting. We just got destroyed by a team we beat earlier in the year on the road. It happens. What you don't usually see in BE games though is the unmolested layups on your home court etc. that we saw in abumdance last night. We couldn't stop the Little Sisters of the Poor in that game and you don't have to be an FBI profiler to see that there's something wrong with this picture. I see low morale, lack of effort, fatigue and disillusionment all at the same time. There have been too many positives to call them quitters however. That would be tantamount to calling Lavin a quitter. Clearly though, the madness has to stop soon before long term damage results. I remember the effect Willis Reed dragging his leg onto the court had and I really hope Lavin finds it within himself to put in an appearance before long. Beyond that we,ve got about as much to look forward to as we did under Norm Roberts at this point. The blind faith thing just doesn't cut it for me unless we can find a way to have our opponents buy in. Well, they aren't and neither is the team right now.

You know what, don't pay the money if that is what it is about for you. But then again, where would you get the material for the fairy tales you are so fond of spinning?

2x is a pattern. Anyone who thinks that that hasn't had a toll on the team is kidding themselves. Its hurting the team. Its demoralizing and has impacted their effort. Especially once they get down by double digits (again). We all know that Dunlap is a fantastic X and O guy. But there is reason no one has given him a shot to run a D-1 team on his own permanently. I really dont think the kids relate to him. He's too old school and too much of a dictator.

Please repsond with your red glasses and confirm that SJU is still the best team in the world and nothing is wrong.

Thanks, 

I don't own red glasses but please confirm where you got your ability to dissect so profoundly a group dynamic when you probably haven't shared a word of conversation with any of them. You guys react to the ebb and flow of a season like an FBI profiler studying a serial killer. These guys are going through a set of circumstances no other team has ever confronted and all you "fans" can do is wonder if they are quitters. They are anything but....Me, I saw a team that got a lot of great looks in the game that wouldn't go down; obviously we are not a great shooting team; when shots don't go down teams look bad. No one quit and there is nothing wrong with the program, except for the unusual circumstances left by Roberts and the unusual circumstances preventing Lavin from coaching.

If the games were free you might even have a point for a change. Unfortunately however, people are paying a lot of money for entertainment which, over the past couple of games, they haven't been getting. We just got destroyed by a team we beat earlier in the year on the road. It happens. What you don't usually see in BE games though is the unmolested layups on your home court etc. that we saw in abumdance last night. We couldn't stop the Little Sisters of the Poor in that game and you don't have to be an FBI profiler to see that there's something wrong with this picture. I see low morale, lack of effort, fatigue and disillusionment all at the same time. There have been too many positives to call them quitters however. That would be tantamount to calling Lavin a quitter. Clearly though, the madness has to stop soon before long term damage results. I remember the effect Willis Reed dragging his leg onto the court had and I really hope Lavin finds it within himself to put in an appearance before long. Beyond that we,ve got about as much to look forward to as we did under Norm Roberts at this point. The blind faith thing just doesn't cut it for me unless we can find a way to have our opponents buy in. Well, they aren't and neither is the team right now.

You know what, don't pay the money if that is what it is about for you. But then again, where would you get the material for the fairy tales you are so fond of spinning?

I agree. If you don't like it, don't spend the money. I've held my season's tickets for the last 15 years and paid for many single games for 20 years prior to that (thus prompting the season's tickets). I paid for sitting through the regimes of Jarvis and Roberts and still come back. Why? Because I really enjoy the successes we've had. Yes there were some terribe games (like last night), but I always tell myself after a particular win (mostly UCONN and Cuse, then Duke) that that one game was worth everything I spent on the tickets. I'm a true fan. I'll be back every year untill I die. (and no wisecracks about hoping that's soon, please) lol.

Thanks, 

I agree. If you don't like it, don't spend the money. I've held my season's tickets for the last 15 years and paid for many single games for 20 years prior to that (thus prompting the season's tickets). I paid for sitting through the regimes of Jarvis and Roberts and still come back. Why? Because I really enjoy the successes we've had. Yes there were some terribe games (like last night), but I always tell myself after a particular win (mostly UCONN and Cuse, then Duke) that that one game was worth everything I spent on the tickets. I'm a true fan. I'll be back every year untill I die. (and no wisecracks about hoping that's soon, please) lol.

I've had seasons more than twice as long as you and put up with all the bad times as well as the good. What I take exception to is guys like Logen who act like there's nothing wrong when the record clearly indicates otherwise. Lavin has been here less than 2 years and gets so many passes from everyone it's ridiculous. I want a winning team and a stable program. Is that really too much to ask? Does that require a great performance? I don't think so. A little objectivity would go a long way here.

Thanks, 

Great post

Crazy thread. Harkless couldn't throw the ball into the ocean. Harrison couldn't drive to the hoop without losing the ball and falling down. Pointer shooting from 3 and all over the court as he did is the first half is an adventure. Garrett eats the ball against big front lines when he double pumps. We were slow to the ball all night, and when Cincy missed someone was quicker to the ball for putbacks.

We sucked - period. Whenever nothing is going right on offense, a lot of teams lose heart. Playing in a morgue didn't help I'm sure either. Our fans gave up before the team did.

Thanks, 

I've had seasons more than twice as long as you and put up with all the bad times as well as the good. What I take exception to is guys like Logen who act like there's nothing wrong when the record clearly indicates otherwise. Lavin has been here less than 2 years and gets so many passes from everyone it's ridiculous. I want a winning team and a stable program. Is that really too much to ask? Does that require a great performance? I don't think so. A little objectivity would go a long way here.

Question: How many coaches inherited a 6-12 in conference team and 9 years of despair, 10 pending vacant roster slots, and filled all the spots with quality recruits? I would say probaby no one. Lavin knew he had 3 risky recruits, but went for the best players available. I'd say the job he has done so far is nothing short of amazing. Would you rather a roster loaded with mid major players like Sean Evans? 

Thanks, 

Great post

Thanks, 

The record indicates nothing because Lavin has simply not been here long enough to judge. Objectivity?? You wouldn't know what that was if it came up and hit you broadside. Lavin put together a monster staff, turned Norm's recruits into a team to be reckoned with on the national level and with much less than ONE full recruiting cycle he brought in arguably the best class in the history of the school. Those are strong positive facts. On the other hand he lost three players to academics and had two transfer, those are negative facts. I never said there are no problems but unlike you and the rest of the whiners brigade, I weigh all sides and I understand and it takes time to build/re-build a program at this level. I am not someone who goes off half-cocked crying because things get tough, because everything doesn't break the way I would like it to. Objectivity? You don't have an objective bone in your body when it cames to this board, you criticize and criticize and then criticize some more. All we heard last year even when they were winning was how they would have won so much more if your beloved had only played more. It's a wonder to me you haven't convinced your NBA contacts that the only thing standing between their team and an NBA title is signing the greatest player to ever get jerked around in the history of college basketball.

Thanks, 

The record indicates nothing because Lavin has simply not been here long enough to judge. Objectivity?? You wouldn't know what that was if it came up and hit you broadside. Lavin put together a monster staff, turned Norm's recruits into a team to be reckoned with on the national level and with much less than ONE full recruiting cycle he brought in arguably the best class in the history of the school. Those are strong positive facts. On the other hand he lost three players to academics and had two transfer, those are negative facts. I never said there are no problems but unlike you and the rest of the whiners brigade, I weigh all sides and I understand and it takes time to build/re-build a program at this level. I am not someone who goes off half-cocked crying because things get tough, because everything doesn't break the way I would like it to. Objectivity? You don't have an objective bone in your body when it cames to this board, you criticize and criticize and then criticize some more. All we heard last year even when they were winning was how they would have won so much more if your beloved had only played more. It's a wonder to me you haven't convinced your NBA contacts that the only thing standing between their team and an NBA title is signing the greatest player to ever get jerked around in the history of college basketball.

Yeah the record means nothing and all the roster losses mean nothing. Oh it takes time blah blah blah. Well it didn't take much time last year and the "mid major player" Lavin had sitting out is playing pro ball for more money than you probably earn. I don't whine. I ask questions that should be asked instead of sitting on my hands looking for excuses to explain the unexplainable. You contribute nothing to the Saint John's cause with your attitude. Norm Roberts would still be here if you were calling the shots. This is a business and It's not running particularly well at the moment. If it was a public offering there would be plenty of pissed off stockholders. In our case it's pissed off fans and ticket holders. The school paid a lot of money for this change and right now they aren't getting what they paid for whether you think so or not.

I think bobre brings a real good point, and there are reasons to be concerned. Some posters have blind faith in Lavin and that is fine. Some people can't see that optimism and I am starting to be one of them. I love Lavin, Dunlap etal. but losing 2 players during the season is a pretty bad trend. Hard to understand for me.

So we will see what Lavin is made of, I for one am praying that he pulls it off. But I do have my doubts.

I think that, once Lavin does get back on the sidelines, we will be in good shape going forward.

If that's not until next year however, then the 2012-2013 season is probably in the tank, too (and might be already, although I still hold out hope). 

ok, we lost nurideen lindsey and replaced him with a top 50 player....we lost a division 2 player (stith) and can replace him with another d2 player in jamal "the 3 point machine" white....fans hated having stith in the lineup because he couldn't keep up with our players. now all of a sudden all up in arms that he left the team... jamal white can do just as well as anything stith did. you could even look at their high school numbers and actually see that jamal put up better stats than malik. it's a wash is my point....so what have we really lost??everything else is speculation by all the negative people on this board...i'm not a blind faith fan, i just dont see the concern right now. i will be pissed come may we still have 6 scolly players and coach lavin still not knowing the date of his return, however that's 3 months away....why cant people just sit back and let everything unfold, whether good or bad....if the illwills and boo's are right come june, then i personally will never post on this board again after giving them their recognition...however i'm betting lavin will be on the sideline within 2 weeks, and you will see a few commitments right about the same time...i just dont understand the beating of a dead horse.....how a certain few posters can keep regurgitating their negative swill over and over again with nothing to back it up but speculation.....cheers to the realists and their whining and complaining....geez i cant imagine what theyre like IRL...

In his last years at UVa Pete Gillen had a 6'6" designated shooter (slow white guy whose name I cannot remember) who would come in with all of his super athletes and stand outside and pop 3's. Super athletes had a lot more room to work as you couldn't leave him alone. If jamal White can play a drop of D and stand outside making space for our high D1 talent, things might actually be a bit interesting until Lavin brings in reinforcements. 

When I look at jeremy Lin of the Knicks and how putting a point guard in the lineup changed things, I have to feel good about having Branch next year

As far as I'm concerned the team wasn't going to the NCAAs from day 1, and the key 6 guys are getting a ton of minutes and experience they wouldn't get on a 10 man deep roster. As sophomores they will each be better off for all the minutes and responsibilities that first year players usually don't get. 

As far as I'm concerned the team wasn't going to the NCAAs from day 1, and the key 6 guys are getting a ton of minutes and experience they wouldn't get on a 10 man deep roster. As sophomores they will each be better off for all the minutes and responsibilities that first year players usually don't get. 
  You are absolutely correct, lets hope no one else transfers and Lavin brings in a couble of bigs.

In his last years at UVa Pete Gillen had a 6'6" designated shooter (slow white guy whose name I cannot remember) who would come in with all of his super athletes and stand outside and pop 3's. Super athletes had a lot more room to work as you couldn't leave him alone. If jamal White can play a drop of D and stand outside making space for our high D1 talent, things might actually be a bit interesting until Lavin brings in reinforcements. 

Good point but so far we haven't looked at or signed even one recruit who isn't a so called "top 100 guy." Lavin has steadfastly ignored roster filler type players and that's why we have a half a team out there. The funny thing though is how many second tier kids have hurt us over the years. Hey, it's easy enough to get rid of players when you need space and Lavin has shown no reluctance to do it so I really don't see the wisdom of shorting ourselves and overworking the starters when things don't pan out.

Good point but so far we haven't looked at or signed even one recruit who isn't a so called "top 100 guy." Lavin has steadfastly ignored roster filler type players and that's why we have a half a team out there. The funny thing though is how many second tier kids have hurt us over the years. Hey, it's easy enough to get rid of players when you need space and Lavin has shown no reluctance to do it so I really don't see the wisdom of shorting ourselves and overworking the starters when things don't pan out.

Along these lines I just took a look at Ron Roberts' numbers for St Joseph's this year. He's shooting .611 from the floor and averaging 11.2 ppg with 6 boards per game. Yeah we could never have used a guy like that. Just another brilliant decision by the infallible staff we have. Oh but I'm delusional etc., etc......

Back