Depaul game thread

Breakout game for Amir (one rebound short of a double-double) ... although I wish I didn't have to suffer through the trauma of beating a team like DePaul. ... Have a good feeling about Notre Dame.  

ND is going to be real tough on saturday but we have a shot.

If we can win that game all the sudden we have a little end of season momentum. Hopefully helps with recruiting 

Nice game after 2 days rest. Harrison was a monster. Over 20 points,something like 5 assists,5 rebounds and 0 TOs. Another great team effort. Amir really stepped up.. Love watching this core. I really hope Lavin gets some quality reenforcements, because I think they can be VG next year.

Ragged win... great effectiveness by Garrett. He can definitely be a DJ Kennedy type of player. He has a good handle with both hands.

Preface this by saying that he does not have a consistent outside shot (yet) -- but I thik his form is excellent and he has the potential to develop as a shooter...

Dom is coming ito hs own...needs to work on the tear drop when he drives...uses too much wrist and has too finesse it too much..

All in all...I see more offensive options developing...

If we can win that game all the sudden we have a little end of season momentum. Hopefully helps with recruiting 

They ae vulnerable on the road and against athletic teams...gives us a puncher's chance 

Ragged win... great effectiveness by Garrett. He can definitely be a DJ Kennedy type of player. He has a good handle with both hands.

Preface this by saying that he does not have a consistent outside shot (yet) -- but I thik his form is excellent and he has the potential to develop as a shooter...

Dom is coming ito hs own...needs to work on the tear drop when he drives...uses too much wrist and has too finesse it too much..

All in all...I see more offensive options developing...

In regards to Amir I agree with you.

He's starting to develop a sweet stroke and has a nice tough around the boards. He has awesome court vision and knows generally when to make the right decision. He can blow around someone and use his quickness to go to the hoop like he did fouling out their guy at the end.

He has a nose for the ball and can rebound real well and the long arms can give guys with the ball fits.

He really has all the intangibles. If he can work over the summer aside from baseball he is definitely our 3rd option next year. He just needs to tighten his handle a little

Pointer has been good the last 2 games (I thought he was the difference on Saturday), and Garrett is getting better every week. If those 2 continue to play at this level, and we get the necessary reinforcements, next year can be very exciting around here. If they still improve, but we don't get anybody of impact, then 2 years from now (with Lavin back, I don't think we stike out in 2013, and we may not in 2012).

Just got back. A few thoughts:

1). Mo certainly hasn't had his best two games, but we won both regardless. It says something about how we're coking along. Moe is still grabbing tons of boards and staying involved though. Great to see us win even when he isn't on fire.

2). Harrison is an absolute killer and maybe the most poised freshman I've ever seen at SJU. His game is waaaay beyond the average freshman, he's by far our most consistent player and I just love the kid's attitude and game. He's 21 points away from setting SJU's freshman scoring record. He'll certainly get it if he's on the court next 2 games. Gotta love him.

3). Amir Garrett was absolutely fantastic tonight. His stroke is improving. most of all he's using a very quick first step to blow by defenders and attack the hoop. This kid has a really high ceiling andis progressing faster than anybody. He's also a good passer, rebounder and just knows where to be. I truly hope he continues to play bball and keeps his baseball career on the burner for a few seasons. I really want to see him at SJU developing. I think he can be really good and help our team get places.

4). Phil and Dom were solid as usual. Our 5 freshmen are really all excellent players. Gift is the only guy for whom the game seems a bit fast for. Hes really not adjusting well and seems to have regressed a bit. Hes still a nice player, but we desperately need several more guys heading into next year. Moe needs help up front badly and we can be really good if we add a few good players.

Back form the game also. Garrett was a difference maker and the D was good overall. DePaul stayed in the game with the three but died with it late when it counted. Harrison made some beautiful passes that were misplayed by Garret and Gift otherwise they would be easy shots under the basket. Cleveland Melvin is a real good player for DePaul , who may actually play too many players, They loose continuity.  An enjoyable game overall. Student crowd was very supportive. Shout out for DJ Kennedy. Bernard Rencher, Mel Utley and Mel Davis were announced in the crowd also.
Nice applause also for Kim Barnes Arico and team when acknowledged.

The win puts SJU alone in 11th place in the BE standings. Just amazing considering the lack of bodies.

And ahead of Pitt and Nova is even more amazing.

They ae vulnerable on the road and against athletic teams...gives us a puncher's chance 

ND can go down on th road, but I am really think our "6th man..." ie the crowd at MSG will be small and quite thus not much help to our new young team.

ND can go down on th road, but I am really think our "6th man..." ie the crowd at MSG will be small and quite thus not much help to our new young team.

Our crowd better show up. Last regular season home game of the year and a saturday against ND. Our kids could have packed it in after the Seton Hall fiasco but they battled back. Our kids don't quit. Our fans shouldn't either on saturday

If we can win that can it will be tough but it's not impossible to win out over the 2 games after that

Went to game.
Overall a real nice win. In fact a BIG win for us!
The 5 played well. Amir played really well. Harrison is just awesome. Moe struggled a little but he grabbed some big rebounds. What is going on with God's Gift? He may be worn down after battling all the big men this year.
Overall as the season has progressed, these 5 freshman are a fantastic foundation to build on!  

Great win!! When w share the ball we are a completely different squad!! Harkless shows zero emotion, once that dude learns how to turn it on and stop playing like a 2 guard he will be unstoppable!! Would love a commit this week as well

Great win!! When w share the ball we are a completely different squad!! Harkless shows zero emotion, once that dude learns how to turn it on and stop playing like a 2 guard he will be unstoppable!! Would love a commit this week as well

You're right. Harkless is a 3. Unfortunately, he is being asked to play the 4/5. He has a very calm demeanor, that's not gonna change. You have a better shot of seeing D'angelo become more laid back than seeing Moe become overly excitable. That doesn't mean he isn't playing hard.

Half way decent crowd. Nice to see. We made a bunch of dumb mistakes but there was no doubt who was the better team. We could have put them away several times but our sloppiness got in the way. Fun seeing DJ. He hung out quite awhile afterward posing for pictures etc. I would have loved seeing Lavin sitting next to Louie for this one. Oh well.

The win puts SJU alone in 11th place in the BE standings. Just amazing considering the lack of bodies.

And ahead of Pitt and Nova is even more amazing.

Greetings from Aruba
Have not seen the last two games but every win is big - and I am very positive and appreciative of this team and the program but to tell the truth (I think I posted this once before) I didn't think we would get two more wins this season.

the only game my son and I attended this year was Villanova - can't cry over that game but "what if" we had that in the W column etc.

good to notice Garrett having a scoring game

all the best

I hate to be negative when things are looking a little better, but Dom needs to stop dribbling so much. He just leaves the ball out so far....

BS foul right there.

Dom went to the Sean Evans school of ballhandling. I think he'd sit a lot more if we had subs. A ferocious defender though. Two years from now he'll be so much better.

I hate to be negative when things are looking a little better, but Dom needs to stop dribbling so much. He just leaves the ball out so far....

BS foul right there.

Dom went to the Sean Evans school of ballhandling. I think he'd sit a lot more if we had subs. A ferocious defender though. Two years from now he'll be so much better.

Others on this board know more than I but he reminds me of WIllie Glass, no?

Back