Daniss Jenkins

Jenkins has looked fantastic the last few games. As long he takes care of the ball, takes good shots & distributes the ball like he has been. We are in good shape. I also heard during a broadcast i think that NBA scouts think he is an NBA player. If Pitino does as well I’m going with them.

Plus, I love how he gets in everybody’s ear during the game. To either encourage them or an offensive/defensive assignment Would love to see him have a 20+ pts, 11 assists, 5 rebs. 4 steals, 3 turnover game. Whether it’s today or two weeks from now it’s comin imo. Regardless. I would take 12 pts, 6 assists, and a victory also. Kid is a leader we are lucky to have him.

I don’t want to go off on the Posh advocates here but , I must add a few comments .

Posh , with his on court hustle and competitiveness , was our fan favorite while here .He did decline a bit in his last season with CMA . For whatever reasons .

But , it was surprising to hear that so many people were just waiting for the Butler - ST John’s contest and what Posh was going to do to Jenkins .

Posh was going to steal Jenkins blind , hold him scoreless , and in general outplay Daniss completely .
It didn’t happen . Jenkins is the better player and proved it .
Posh’s time here was good and his fandom applauded him, as we all did . Last season excluded .

So , after the Win over Butler and the win over Nova , the Posh crowd has quieted down .

Yet , there are a few that still remain unfazed and can’t deal with Jenkins being the key piece in our team . Pitino knows it and that’s all that matters .

Its so bizarre. Daniss is one of the best players on our team. Kid is stuffing the stat sheet every night.

Posh is a dime a dozen ok college basketball player.

Danis is such a massive upgrade over posh its not even a conversation.

Someone made mention of this on the game thread and it was spot on. You need a lead guard with an irrational confidence level. Jenkins has that in abundance.

Hofstra had 2 players of that ilk and every time we needed a bucket Jenkins was the one who answered.

Nova went under a ballscreen early in the contest yesterday. Without hesitation Jenkins made them pay.

He may not be the most efficient, but he keeps the defense honest and can do it all.

There is no comparison between this kid and Posh. They aren’t the same player and I think at this point maybe 2% of the fan base would take Posh over DJ. Posh was/is extremely limited. Jenkins is unlimited in what he can do (including a few terrible shots, turnovers!).

Daniss is a No-No-YES! Player. Sometimes you’ll like what he does and other times it’s WTF was he doing.

Bottom line is the Coach likes his game. He’s on OUR team so I am pulling like hell for it to work out. Of course, people have the right to dislike parts of his game etcetera. I get he is polarizing. For me I’ll just ride with the Coach on this one. Hopefully, he can continue to reel him in and make him a better player. Anything we say isn’t going to change a thing.

Was a big supprter of Posh when he was here, after all he is a Brooklyn guy. I always thought he was a bit overweight but he was still good. In his last year, I felt he regressed. Was it Curbello effect; who knows. Ponds had the "body fat" issue when the pros were trying him out and I would think Posh will have the same issues. If he stayed, he would have been behind Daniss, as knew what Coach wanted and DJ is definitely a step quicker.

Last edited:
@NYPost_Brazille

“Over the last 12 games after intensive counseling from his spiritual guru, Dr. Milton Marillac, St. John's Daniss Jenkins is averaging 12.6 points, 6.3 assists, 4.8 rebounds and only 1.6 turnovers. Elite point guard play. #sjubb”

one of my favorite stats is plus,minus- how team does when player is on the court.
#s thru prov game, obviously total minutes big effect.
takeaway- Joel, Daniss & RJ, best +-, wilcher has Worst by far
dingle, Ledlum, Taylor & Alleyne all similar factoring tot minutes played

Jenkins +144
soriano. +121
dingle. +98
ledlum. +81
taylor. +83
alleyne. +73
luis. +53 ( would be #1 if played all year)
dunlap +41
zuby. +24
conway. +8
wilcher. -23
traore, Davis, Ayo ??

Last edited:
one of my favorite stats is plus,minus- how team does when player is on the court.

Jenkins +144
soriano. +121
dingle. +98
ledlum. +81
taylor. +83
alleyne. +73
dunlap +41
zuby. +24
conway. +8
wilcher. -23
traore, Davis, Ayo ??
With Luis, like Jenkins, you have to take the bad with the good, because overall they are net positives when they are on the court. Meanwhile, we have seen Jenkins's refine his game(better decisions,etc) over the course of the season, and I'm still hoping to see Luis do the same. In fairness, Luis got a late start due to the injury so he gets cut more slack.

If these players and this team put it all together and stay relatively injury free, we are not just going to make some noise come March, we are going to make a lot of noise.

Jenkins +144
soriano. +121
dingle. +98
ledlum. +81
taylor. +83
alleyne. +73
dunlap +41
zuby. +24
conway. +8
wilcher. -23
traore, Davis, Ayo ??
A huge pet peeve of mine is that all stats/numbers, be it sports, business, anything, are sterile without context and analysis. PERFECT example is Conway vs. Providence, some posters screaming he should never play again after his time on the court, others citing his +5 plus/minus. Another one I would cite is your assumption Luis would project out best had he played all year, an assumption based on nothing but your personal opinion. Projections, especially in sports, are random and chaotic, not linear. A perfect sample of that is Bamba’s performance against SJU, as opposed to leading up to our game. Just my 2 cents, I understand and totally respect you, and others, look at it differently.

A huge pet peeve of mine is that all stats/numbers, be it sports, business, anything, are sterile without context and analysis. PERFECT example is Conway vs. Providence, some posters screaming he should never play again after his time on the court, others citing his +5 plus/minus. Another one I would cite is your assumption Luis would project out best had he played all year, an assumption based on nothing but your personal opinion. Projections, especially in sports, are random and chaotic, not linear. A perfect sample of that is Bamba’s performance against SJU, as opposed to leading up to our game. Just my 2 cents, I understand and totally respect you, and others, look at it differently.
9D605F5C-58C9-4909-B50F-2A3B76A2BF5D.jpeg
One of my favorite quotes of all time

Jenkins +144
soriano. +121
dingle. +98
ledlum. +81
taylor. +83
alleyne. +73
dunlap +41
zuby. +24
conway. +8
wilcher. -23
traore, Davis, Ayo ??
The plus/minus in basketball is a fairly new phenomenon that I am not a big fan. It makes sense in hockey, where there are short shifts and goals are not easy to come by.

But applying that concept in basketball can skew reality. Bench guys usually come in at the end of blowouts, and are told to back off and just let the clock run out. The losing team meanwhile is making meaningless shots and results in those players getting an undeserved plus/minus in both directions.

I still rely on the old fashioned scouting with a player passing the eyeball test.

This just seems as if all these stats that overwhelm the actual game is the revenge of MIT math geeks who were always shunned as kids because they were horrible at sports.

Back