College Football / Jason Gay / Wall Street Journal

Committee trying to avoid another 65-7 laugher. Hence no FSU.

Fair enough, 30-3.
Still not buying it. Iowa’s defense, which is very good, but not as good as FSU’s, held Michigan to 215 years and one of their TD’s was set up by a special teams return to the five.

Michigan is not scoring 30 on FSU.

Still not buying it. Iowa’s defense, which is very good, but not as good as FSU’s, held Michigan to 215 years and one of their TD’s was set up by a special teams return to the five.

Michigan is not scoring 30 on FSU.
Boston College scored 29 on FSU

Outlier.

I feel a bit strange defending a monster state school like FSU by the way.

Especially since they will go to a bigger conference and not give once ounce of crap to a school like SJU.
Point is, yes FSU was deserving of a top 4 spot. But the fear of not having your starting QB and a banged up backup caused the committee to look elsewhere. They do not want viewers turning the channel with the advertising $ being spent.

Point is, yes FSU was deserving of a top 4 spot. But the fear of not having your starting QB and a banged up backup caused the committee to look elsewhere. They do not want viewers turning the channel with the advertising $ being spent.
I understand the business side of it. That is why I doubt if that happened to an SEC or Big 10 school the committee would do the same, because those conferences are the power brokers.

I was strictly going by record.

Last edited:
Also, as tge FSU coach pointed out….. since the reason that FSU didn’t get invited cause their QB went down “are we supposed to tell our players to give up and stop playing due to a key injury? This sends a terrible messsge to the rest of college sports that your performance in the field means nothing if a more desirable team is left out”. I can understand Alabama fans being happy about a “back door” selection but if they were true fans of college football they should at least acknowledge this outrageous miscarriage of justice.

Also, as tge FSU coach pointed out….. since the reason that FSU didn’t get invited cause their QB went down “are we supposed to tell our players to give up and stop playing due to a key injury? This sends a terrible messsge to the rest of college sports that your performance in the field means nothing if a more desirable team is left out”. I can understand Alabama fans being happy about a “back door” selection but if they were true fans of college football they should at least acknowledge this outrageous miscarriage of justice.
Back door selections don’t beat the top team in the country the night before the playoff brackets are announced.

Cincy was dropped from No. 1 seed after Kenyon Martin broke his leg, right? It happens. It sucks, but there is sort of precedent. If situations were swapped though, I think an undefeated Bama with a third string QB doesn't get bumped.

Still think a huge playoff with every conference champ and a few at-larges would have saved conferences and kept them a normal size too.

Cincy was dropped from No. 1 seed after Kenyon Martin broke his leg, right? It happens. It sucks, but there is sort of precedent. If situations were swapped though, I think an undefeated Bama with a third string QB doesn't get bumped.

Still think a huge playoff with every conference champ and a few at-larges would have saved conferences and kept them a normal size too.
True, but next season starts the 12 team playoff which does all of that, yet these schools cannot wait to move. The whole system is broken.

An undefeated Ohio State made the playoffs several years ago after their 3rd string QB started and won the Big 12 Championship (IIRV, the first string QB went down for the season in one of the first few games, second string went down in the last season game vs Michigan). The difference, the 3rd stringer lead Ohio State to a 59-0 win in the Big 12 Championship game.

You can argue one way or the other but someone (FSU, Bama or Texas) was going to get screwed. They chose the path of “How can you have the playoffs with two one loss teams and one of them not being from the SEC.” The college football fan in me would have went with FSU but see the other side also.

A couple of precedents were set this year, one being the first time an undefeated Big 5 Champion not being invited to the playoffs the second one being the team that was No.1 team going into the final weekend and losing (Georgia) not being invited to the playoffs.

For those spouting this is the end of the ACC, that will depend on a lot of litigation due to the contracts each ACC member has signed. FSU has been on the forefront of trying to get out and would still be trying to do so even if they had been selected for the playoffs. This by no means will start a movement to leave the ACC as it has already been under way for over a year (FSU, UNC, Clemson, UVa., Miami).

Agree regarding Bama doesn’t get bumped if undefeated with third string QB. In this case however, FSUs 2nd string QB will be ready to play in the playoffs.

And….. no undefeated power 5 team has ever been left out, this is unprecedented. .

But a key difference is that Cincy lost to St. Louis in the first round of the conference tournament (which is when the injury happened). A closer example would've been if Cincy won their conference tournament without Kenyon Martin, would you still give them the #1 seed?

An undefeated Ohio State made the playoffs several years ago after their 3rd string QB started and won the Big 12 Championship (IIRV, the first string QB went down for the season in one of the first few games, second string went down in the last season game vs Michigan). The difference, the 3rd stringer lead Ohio State to a 59-0 win in the Big 12 Championship game.

You can argue one way or the other but someone (FSU, Bama or Texas) was going to get screwed. They chose the path of “How can you have the playoffs with two one loss teams and one of them not being from the SEC.” The college football fan in me would have went with FSU but see the other side also.

A couple of precedents were set this year, one being the first time an undefeated Big 5 Champion not being invited to the playoffs the second one being the team that was No.1 team going into the final weekend and losing (Georgia) not being invited to the playoffs.

For those spouting this is the end of the ACC, that will depend on a lot of litigation due to the contracts each ACC member has signed. FSU has been on the forefront of trying to get out and would still be trying to do so even if they had been selected for the playoffs. This by no means will start a movement to leave the ACC as it has already been under way for over a year (FSU, UNC, Clemson, UVa., Miami).
This entire process was to appease Alabama and that’s the reality. Technically FSU was more deserving than Texas and actually had at least a comparable if not harder schedule but to justify putting Bama in, they had to put Texas in. And why has everyone forgot that ………

Bama beat a mediocre Auburn team on a last second prayer and……

FSU beat LSU by 21, while Bama beat LSU by 14. Certainly a fair measure for comparison.
I will not change my stance on this as would 95% of the football fans in the country. Or as Shannon Sharpe would say….

.WELCOME TO THE BAMA PLAYOFFS

This entire process was to appease Alabama and that’s the reality. Technically FSU was more deserving than Texas and actually had at least a comparable if not harder schedule but to justify putting Bama in, they had to put Texas in. And why has everyone forgot that ………

Bama beat a mediocre Auburn team on a last second prayer and……

FSU beat LSU by 21, while Bama beat LSU by 14. Certainly a fair measure for comparison.
I will not change my stance on this as would 95% of the football fans in the country. Or as Shannon Sharpe would say….

.WELCOME TO THE BAMA PLAYOFFS
As I said earlier in this and possibly another thread, you can't have Bama in and not have Texas considering Texas beat Bama at Bama and was ranked one spot ahead. So one way or the other, Texas was in, period either as the third or fourth team. The exercise wound up being how do we justify leaping Bama over FSU. If Georgia had done their job and won, FSU is in.

Wait until players can transfer for the second semester and become eligible. Hey, maybe FSU can get a QB in the portal for their playoff game and…
Ohio State Oklahoma and JMU are other schools who's starting QB's have entered the Portal prior to their upcoming Bowl games and will be starting back-ups.

Check this out…… not surprising

Not A Great Look​

This is probably some wild coincidence but it sure isn’t a great look. Fans and analysts have accused heavy SEC bias and the fact that ESPN has a deal with the SEC makes things worse. It is a really sticky situation because there are a lot of people who benefit from Alabama being in rather than the Seminoles. It will be interesting to see what the fallout of all of this is. While the playoff expands soon, there will always be teams that feel like they got left out.

Back