Coach Jack Kaiser

I actually met Jack Kaiser in Syracuse , NY back in 79 or 80 . I was attending the Orange - G’Town BB game in Manley . The final game there , which the Hoyas won on 2 foul shots by Sleepy Floyd . Jack and Carmine Calzonnetti were there scouting both teams . After the game , I went to a Saloon called Scratch Daniels . Jack and Carmine were there and I introduced myself . They asked us to join them and we did . We talked for over a hour and when it came time for the Check , Jack got it before I could . I protested mildly . He said, “ you’re a Alum , it’s my Check .” Jack is certainly there with all the Icons of St John ‘s . He’s probably getting the athletic programs upstairs sorted out and organized . What a Guy !

RIP Mr Kaiser.
He was my dads freshman baseball coach in the early fifties and always a kind gentleman to me when we spoke over the years. I remember a great conversation after beating Ohio State in the Silverdome in 91. He was as fired up as I was !

I was fortunate to see Mr Kaiser on campus a number of times as a student and even after graduating at basketball practices that were actually open to watch. He was always willing to talk, whether it be about the schedule, the next team up, the stating time of a game, etc. I sat behind him at a game and heared him get on the refs as the opposition was pushing our guys around. His love for the teams, students, and fans was endless. A true treasure of our University, he will be missed.

QUEENS, N.Y. (May 31, 2022)
– In celebration of a life dedicated in service to St. John’s University, Mayor Eric Adams has proclaimed that June 1 will be “Jack Kaiser Day” in New York City.

Kaiser passed away on Wednesday, May 25, at the age of 95 after dedicating parts of nine different decades to his beloved alma mater. After attending St. John’s Prep as a youth in Brooklyn, Kaiser was a three-sport star at the University before signing on as a coach and later becoming the school’s athletic director, a post he occupied for 22 years. Following his retirement in 1995, Kaiser stayed on as the University’s athletic director emeritus until his passing.

The first person to appear in the College World Series as both a player (1949) and a coach (1960, 1966, 1968), Kaiser was one of the seven founding administrators of the BIG EAST Conference, a league that has gone on to shape the landscape of college sports since its founding in 1979.

The baseball stadium at St. John’s was renamed in Kaiser’s honor in 2007.

A funeral mass for Kaiser will be held on Wednesday morning at 10:30 a.m. at St. Thomas More Church on the Queens campus. A live stream of the service will be available at www.stjohns.edu/church for those that are unable to attend.

Back