Biggest Positive

I just wonder if people understand that you can't be a successful BE team with only 1 big on the roster. Especially when that big is 6'6". Say all you want about the game being too quick for Gift but he's given great effort. If he was 6'10" it wouldn't be a problem but as they say "if me Auntie had balls she'd be me uncle". Losing Norvel was the single biggest loss this team had this season. They were going to be undermanned up front no matter what but Norvel was key because he was going to be the only true big big on the roster. Jakarr was going to be the second tallest player on the team, if like Mo not a true big.

Yes the team needs another shooter but I'll take 3 bigs and give up on the shooter. They're getting out rebounded by 10-12 a game. There's no post presence to attract attention and give shooters that extra time to set and toss. There's no easy put backs. And of course there's no one to defend the post as well. I thought a bunch of frosh would be turning it over and that would lead to most of the losses but the team has, besides the first half of Depaul, showed they value the ball since the awful loss at Nova. The team needs some size/inside presence. Two stars can carry a team to a decent level of success but you still need to field an entire team.

I just wonder if people understand that you can't be a successful BE team with only 1 big on the roster. Especially when that big is 6'6". Say all you want about the game being too quick for Gift but he's given great effort. If he was 6'10" it wouldn't be a problem but as they say "if me Auntie had balls she'd be me uncle". Losing Norvel was the single biggest loss this team had this season. They were going to be undermanned up front no matter what but Norvel was key because he was going to be the only true big big on the roster. Jakarr was going to be the second tallest player on the team, if like Mo not a true big.

Yes the team needs another shooter but I'll take 3 bigs and give up on the shooter. They're getting out rebounded by 10-12 a game. There's no post presence to attract attention and give shooters that extra time to set and toss. There's no easy put backs. And of course there's no one to defend the post as well. I thought a bunch of frosh would be turning it over and that would lead to most of the losses but the team has, besides the first half of Depaul, showed they value the ball since the awful loss at Nova. The team needs some size/inside presence. Two stars can carry a team to a decent level of success but you still need to field an entire team.

I agree completely..., yet I continue to worry because none of our recruiting targets are an upgrade over Moe/Gift in the height department. I'm waiting to judge the class in May, not February, but I would feel a lot better if we were involved with a Center, not just combo forwards.

Losing Norvel was the single biggest loss this team had this season.

I agree. Not only did we lose a 6'10" kid, but we lost out on an ultra-athletic post guy. I wasn't particularly counting on him to score much, but I was looking for him to man our zone by blocking and altering shots, and snaring caroms. He's long, quick and has a great motor. He could've been that guy that got us putbacks, as well.

I, too thought he was the biggest loss of the season. 

I agree completely..., yet I continue to worry because none of our recruiting targets are an upgrade over Moe/Gift in the height department. I'm waiting to judge the class in May, not February, but I would feel a lot better if we were involved with a Center, not just combo forwards.

Despite not being 6'10" Obekpa is considered a true center based on style of play which is more important than true height. Sounds like that Juco Young is also a true post player. Jakarr is taller than both Mo and Gift and an excellent rebounder. Sheppard is supposed to be taller than them as well. Don't know enough about Zena to say. Mo is tall but he's a SF but with a nose for the ball off the boards. If he was getting quality minutes at SF with Jakarr or Norvel and Gift on the court this year the team would not be in the rebounding hole it is every game and not have to cheat down on defense every time the opponents send the ball to post. This would hopefully eliminate a fair portion of the open 3's that the opponents always seem to hit at 70% when facing the Redmen. ; )

Despite not being 6'10" Obekpa is considered a true center based on style of play which is more important than true height. Sounds like that Juco Young is also a true post player. Jakarr is taller than both Mo and Gift and an excellent rebounder. Sheppard is supposed to be taller than them as well. Don't know enough about Zena to say. Mo is tall but he's a SF but with a nose for the ball off the boards. If he was getting quality minutes at SF with Jakarr or Norvel and Gift on the court this year the team would not be in the rebounding hole it is every game and not have to cheat down on defense every time the opponents send the ball to post. This would hopefully eliminate a fair portion of the open 3's that the opponents always seem to hit at 70% when facing the Redmen. ; )

I agree about Obekpa. He plays the 5, and plays above his height in terms of blocking shots. But I still think that leaves us very very vulnerable. If we don't land Chris O. the other guys are more or less combo forwards. I don't agree that either Sheppard or Jakarr are taller than Moe. Neither looked it when they were on tv and the services indicate their not.

A inch here and there doens't matter if you can make up for it with other intangibles. But generally I'm agreeing with your initial post that Pelle was the biggest lost for us this year and it's very difficult to win in the BE without a 6'10 guy. (at least one) 

We did last year[ Not counting Coker,who was on the bench most of the time] Look how good Mo rebounds. The key is to have gift as a bench player and get 2 of the 4 star bigs we are after. Remember if Mo plays the 3 he is big for that position and our overall height would be good. Talent is more important than height, IE Coker, but I would like our bigs to be at least 6 8.

We did last year[ Not counting Coker,who was on the bench most of the time] Look how good Mo rebounds. The key is to have gift as a bench player and get 2 of the 4 star bigs we are after. Remember if Mo plays the 3 he is big for that position and our overall height would be good. Talent is more important than height, IE Coker, but I would like our bigs to be at least 6 8.

We did do it last year... except when we ran into a big man in the NCAAs we had no answer for him.
And that was with Burrell, Bronwlee, Evans, and Coker. We had depth, just no size. And that's what it looks like we'll have again.

There will be plenty of games we can play small and win... but to be consistent, aka NCAA runs, or BE tournament runs, beyond a game or two... we need that option of playing a bigger lineup, or matching up with an opposing big man for 10 minutes a half when necessary.

Stats don't really show it, but I was so impressed with Garrett. He's getting better every game and he's going to be a KILLER on the offensive glass for us...I mean a back-breaker rebounding like that from the SF position when we get a few more 6'8+ guys on the court.

His ability to drive the lane at 6'6 is awesome...I wish we saw him for the whole season. He's still not where he will be this season. Garrett also made some nice dishes.

Hard to see after tonight, but the future is very bright.

Are the doom and gloomers ready to give this kid some respect? His offensive rebounding is incredible. I can't believe he only got credited for two on the offensive glass. He had a trio of others go against him, one after a made putback on a ver close shot clock violation, another where a foul was called before, and a tip that I thought should have counted as a board.

I love the way he goes after loose balls, and I love the way he attacks the offensive glass. He's a taller Paris Horne, with a great knack for taking the ball to the hoop. All five of our guys will be able to do that well next year and that will be so tough to defend.

Stats don't really show it, but I was so impressed with Garrett. He's getting better every game and he's going to be a KILLER on the offensive glass for us...I mean a back-breaker rebounding like that from the SF position when we get a few more 6'8+ guys on the court.

His ability to drive the lane at 6'6 is awesome...I wish we saw him for the whole season. He's still not where he will be this season. Garrett also made some nice dishes.

Are the doom and gloomers ready to give this kid some respect? His offensive rebounding is incredible. I can't believe he only got credited for two on the offensive glass. He had a trio of others go against him, one after a made putback on a ver close shot clock violation, another where a foul was called before, and a tip that I thought should have counted as a board.

I love the way he goes after loose balls, and I love the way he attacks the offensive glass. He's a taller Paris Horne, with a great knack for taking the ball to the hoop. All five of our guys will be able to do that well next year and that will be so tough to defend.

Good call on Garrett, played great last night

Garrett will gain enormous confidence from last night's performance. A terrific game for him.

I continue to be impressed by Harrison's court smarts and his unrelenting will to win. 

I love almost everything Harrison does. He has incredible vision. Our guys cost him a double-double with assists last night. I saw 3'Angelo get upset with his team for the first time...I didn't like that coming from the captain.

He is such an incredibly intelligent basketball player. He does it all. He NEEDS to touch the ball every single possession.

I love almost everything Harrison does. He has incredible vision. Our guys cost him a double-double with assists last night. I saw 3'Angelo get upset with his team for the first time...I didn't like that coming from the captain.

He is such an incredibly intelligent basketball player. He does it all. He NEEDS to touch the ball every single possession.

I remember him hitting GG for what should have been an easy lay up- but Gift blew it somehow

He has perfected that quick pump-fake to create space. D'Angelo is a thrilling player to watch. Other teams can try to stop him, but they're largely ineffective because he can just use his midrange game. A killer...

Tim Welsh picked Harkless as his Freshmen of the year last night. Sorry but he isnt even the best freshman on his team. That honor goes to Harrison.

Tim Welsh picked Harkless as his Freshmen of the year last night. Sorry but he isnt even the best freshman on his team. That honor goes to Harrison.

Agree, Harrison is the guy. He's been our most consistent player, always plays at 100% and will be our all time freshman scoring leader. This is no knock on Moe, who is an amazing NBA prospect and has the tools and numbers to win the award. Harrison just has been the most consistently excellent and the team leader.

Agree, Harrison is the guy. He's been our most consistent player, always plays at 100% and will be our all time freshman scoring leader. This is no knock on Moe, who is an amazing NBA prospect and has the tools and numbers to win the award. Harrison just has been the most consistently excellent and the team leader.

I don't know about that. Harkless has to be one of the smallest centers in the country and has played remarkably well.
His rebounding, shot blocking and post defense, especially considering the size of some of the front lines we've faced, has been very impressive.

I don't know about that. Harkless has to be one of the smallest centers in the country and has played remarkably well.
His rebounding, shot blocking and post defense, especially considering the size of some of the front lines we've faced, has been very impressive.

Could make an argument for either guy certainly. I wouldn't trade either guy for any others out there. They just both need help next season.

Could make an argument for either guy certainly. I wouldn't trade either guy for any others out there. They just both need help next season.

With what's left recruiting wise Marcus, I don't see any way Harkless isn't the center again.

With what's left recruiting wise Marcus, I don't see any way Harkless isn't the center again.

I don't know Tom. Obekpa could change that. So could Jakarr, Edosomwan or Young. I don't want to be presumptive because I don't know what Lavs is looking at now. Maybe some guys we don't know about still. He says he's bringing in 4-5 yet. We'll see...

Geez, anyone, ANYONE, who would put these players and Lavin in the same sentence as Roberts and the guys he brought in completely lacks any credibility. I was saying last night that each of the players we have out there as frosh are better than just about anyone that NR brought in (or Jarvis for that matter). These guys are FRESHMEN and playing at a higher level than those players played at for most of their careers (except, notably, as senior under LAVIN).

This team is a few players and a few months of seasoning away from being a top 20 team. The progress has been slowed (particularly on the recruiting front) by Lavin's illness, but GEEZ, to start comparing these guys to those guys, c'mon. That's just plain stupid.

Shame on Boo Hoo Harvey (obviosly an apologist for the past regime) and Bobre. 

Back