Biggest Positive

Marillac

Stats don't really show it, but I was so impressed with Garrett. He's getting better every game and he's going to be a KILLER on the offensive glass for us...I mean a back-breaker rebounding like that from the SF position when we get a few more 6'8+ guys on the court.

His ability to drive the lane at 6'6 is awesome...I wish we saw him for the whole season. He's still not where he will be this season. Garrett also made some nice dishes.

Hard to see after tonight, but the future is very bright.

Stats don't really show it, but I was so impressed with Garrett. He's getting better every game and he's going to be a KILLER on the offensive glass for us...I mean a back-breaker rebounding like that from the SF position when we get a few more 6'8+ guys on the court.

His ability to drive the lane at 6'6 is awesome...I wish we saw him for the whole season. He's still not where he will be this season. Garrett also made some nice dishes.

five players in double figures.

If Garrett plays baseball I´m not very sure if he´ll have time to practice well in summer.

I too am impressed with the continued progression of the player most likely to end his STJ career in a few weeks.  

Can you please pass me whatever it was that you were smoking during the game last night -- because it must be some great stuff. There were absolutely no positives that could be taken out of the game last night. Everybody used to criticize Roberts for saying that we didn't have "Big East" players on the team. Well, irrespective of the ratings, to date this team has two Big East players -- Mo and D-Lo. I love the energy that Garrett and Pointer bring and they are only Freshman, but nothing in last night's game suggests to me that they will be big time contributors next year. Unfortunately, it's far from certain that Garrett will return next year and highly unlikely that he will be playing basketball every day during the summer.

Things can change and the future is far from definite, but face the facts man -- the future is not bright. Here are the facts:

(1) The team is 10-16;

(2) The team lost by 30 to a very average Seton Hall team;

(3) We have six scholarship players (I don't count Jamal White) who came here to play for Lavin and win games;

(4) Lavin is not coaching and his future is uncertain. (How can even the greatest optimist amongst us say with "certainty" that Lavin is coming back at this point;

(5) Three players were declared ineligible this year (one of whom returned);

(6) Three players have quit the program in the last year;

(7) We have one recruit in Jamal Branch and he is out first semester next year;

(8) Three of our major targets appear to be going elsewhere (Wood, Gathers and Sampson) and, by all accounts Lavin has turned to Plan B or C;

(9) There have been rumors that Moe will leave for the NBA after this year (of course he's not ready, but that is no guarantee. If he can get drafted in the first round on pure potential, he may go. See, e.g. Stephenson, Lance);

(10) There is a distinct possibility that Amir decides to play baseball full time after this year (not a "certainty", but a real possibility); and

(11) Past history sugests that there is a real possibility of transfers; and

12) A senior member of the AD is being investigating for scalping tickets.

But hey, look on the bright side -- Amir Garrett grabbed a few boards in a 30 point loss last night and I slept at a Holiday Inn.

Can you please pass me whatever it was that you were smoking during the game last night -- because it must be some great stuff. There were absolutely no positives that could be taken out of the game last night. Everybody used to criticize Roberts for saying that we didn't have "Big East" players on the team. Well, irrespective of the ratings, to date this team has two Big East players -- Mo and D-Lo. I love the energy that Garrett and Pointer bring and they are only Freshman, but nothing in last night's game suggests to me that they will be big time contributors next year. Unfortunately, it's far from certain that Garrett will return next year and highly unlikely that he will be playing basketball every day during the summer.

Things can change and the future is far from definite, but face the facts man -- the future is not bright. Here are the facts:

(1) The team is 10-16;

(3) We have six scholarship players (I don't count Jamal White) who came here to play for Lavin and win games;

(4) Lavin is not coaching and his future is uncertain. (How can even the greatest optimist amongst us say with "certainty" that Lavin is coming back at this point;

(8) Three of our major targets appear to be going elsewhere (Wood, Gathers and Sampson) and, by all accounts Lavin has turned to Plan B or C;

(9) There have been rumors that Moe will leave for the NBA after this year (of course he's not ready, but that is no guarantee. If he can get drafted in the first round on pure potential, he may go. See, e.g. Stephenson, Lance);

(10) There is a distinct possibility that Amir decides to play baseball full time after this year (not a "certainty", but a real possibility); and

But hey, look on the bright side -- Amir Garrett grabbed a few boards in a 30 point loss last night and I slept at a Holiday Inn.

But, but, but in Lavin we trust........

(1) The team is 10-16;

It's heart warming to see bobre finally find his redmen.com soul mate in boo harvey.

(1) The team is 10-16;

If number 4 resolves itself and Lavin comes back everyone will settle down I think. The longer it takes of course the more damage could take place short term regarding recruting and the current players getting frustrated and contemplating other options. Long term Lavin comes back and we will be fine.

(1) The team is 10-16;

If number 4 resolves itself and Lavin comes back everyone will settle down I think. The longer it takes of course the more damage could take place short term regarding recruting and the current players getting frustrated and contemplating other options. Long term Lavin comes back and we will be fine.

I hope you're right. The fear that I have is that even if Lavin comes back, we have lost significant momentam with recruiting. I think somebody else posted this yesterday (I don't recall who), but I very much agree. Lavin came here with a great staff and there was a real buzz around the program. The buzz is now completely gone. If Lavin signs a bunch of role players or diamonds in the rough in the Spring and we struggle next year (and that is a distrinct possibility that we will), it could really hurt recruiting going forward. No doubt that Lavin is a great recuriter but, unfortunately, SJU is a tougher sell than UCLA, particularly in the new Big East. I agree that getting Lavin back would be a great first step, but short of a major recruiting coup by Lavin in the Spring, I think the chances of us being a top tier team in the next two years are pretty slim.

I see a wing that can only go left, with a below average jumper, that seems to have a good feel for the game. If this kid can really throw a 96 mph heater ( which I have to question) then obviously his future is on the mound. Honestly he really hasn't impressed me too much

(1) The team is 10-16;

I hope you're right. The fear that I have is that even if Lavin comes back, we have lost significant momentam with recruiting. I think somebody else posted this yesterday (I don't recall who), but I very much agree. Lavin came here with a great staff and there was a real buzz around the program. The buzz is now completely gone. If Lavin signs a bunch of role players or diamonds in the rough in the Spring and we struggle next year (and that is a distrinct possibility that we will), it could really hurt recruiting going forward. No doubt that Lavin is a great recuriter but, unfortunately, SJU is a tougher sell than UCLA, particularly in the new Big East. I agree that getting Lavin back would be a great first step, but short of a major recruiting coup by Lavin in the Spring, I think the chances of us being a top tier team in the next two years are pretty slim.

There is nothing wrong with signing a couple of role players. Everybody can't be stars. There is always a balanced roster of good teams. We just need a couple of decent bigs; a shooter or two and possibly, an interchangeable guy. We already have a PG in waiting. If May rolls around and those things aren't in place, then I'll be concerned. Otherwise, I feel confident some pieces will fall into place.

I don't think the "new Big East" will be that much of a deterrent, if any, for recruits. It's still the Big East, and Memphis is on board, with the possibility of Temple joining 'em. Not to mention, Lavin is still one of the top 5 best recruiters in college hoops, IMO.

What if Lavin brings in a top 20 recruiting haul?  

(1) The team is 10-16;

There is nothing wrong with signing a couple of role players. Everybody can't be stars. There is always a balanced roster of good teams. We just need a couple of decent bigs; a shooter or two and possibly, an interchangeable guy. We already have a PG in waiting. If May rolls around and those things aren't in place, then I'll be concerned. Otherwise, I feel confident some pieces will fall into place.

I don't think the "new Big East" will be that much of a deterrent, if any, for recruits. It's still the Big East, and Memphis is on board, with the possibility of Temple joining 'em. Not to mention, Lavin is still one of the top 5 best recruiters in college hoops, IMO.

If Lavin brings in a legitimate to 20 recuriting haul that would be amazing. How many top recruits are still on the board at this point? More importantly, even if we bring in a top 20 recruiting class, that is no guarantee that we will be a good team next year. We have two players at this point. To be an NCAA team next year, we would need guys who can step in immediately, be productive and blend in to a cohesive unit. That typically doesn't happen with first year players.

(1) The team is 10-16;

If Lavin brings in a legitimate to 20 recuriting haul that would be amazing. How many top recruits are still on the board at this point? More importantly, even if we bring in a top 20 recruiting class, that is no guarantee that we will be a good team next year. We have two players at this point. To be an NCAA team next year, we would need guys who can step in immediately, be productive and blend in to a cohesive unit. That typically doesn't happen with first year players.

There are enough good kids out there, and we happen to be on a handful of 'em. No, it's not a guarantee that a top 20 recruiting class will enable us to be a good team next year. But, it also doesn't mean we won't or can't be a good team next season.

We may land a couple of guys who are capable of stepping in and being productive. Things can change rapidly and suddenly within a season. I've seen it numerous times. 

If you count Branch (which I kjnow the services won't but that's immaterial, he's a new player) then if Lav signs two of the four top 100 bigs being targeted it's the equivalent to a top 20 class and addresses the most pressing needs of the team. Since Lav is on record as saying he wants to sign 5 then you add a Juco C type and a shooter like Parga or similar and the team would be close to what they envisioned for this year before all the troubles. Deep, diverse and actually able to compete on the boards (and at practice).

My hopes are for Obekpa, one of the PF's (more than one would be gravy), the JC Young and a shooter (don't forget Darrick Woods said STJ is still his favorite in just the last two weeks). If so the depth chart looks like this:

PG: Branch, Greene
SG: Harrison, new shooter
SF: Harkless, Garrett, Pointer
PF: new PF, Gift,
C: Obekpa, Young

Greene would also get minutes at the two with the new shooter being a situational player, Small lineup could move Harkless to the 4. Yes, team is starting an all frosh front line but besides that I think that's a pretty good team with lots of flexibility. Is it Kentucky? No, but it's certainly able to compete for top 1/4 of the BE. The key is getting the bigs to sign and you'll have to be patient with that as there's no advantage to them signing now rather than waiting for April 11. 

At this point I'd settle for 11 or 12 reasonably warm bodies and a fighting chance which we haven't had this year. Nobody thought last year's bunch was capable of what they did so you never know when the roster is full and well coached.

then if Lav signs two of the four top 100 bigs being targeted it's the equivalent to a top 20 class and addresses the most pressing needs of the team.

Who's the 4th top 100 big? Sampson, Obekpa, Shepard... ?

Edosomwan? Didn't think he was that highly regarded.

then if Lav signs two of the four top 100 bigs being targeted it's the equivalent to a top 20 class and addresses the most pressing needs of the team.

I use Scout because it's easy. They have him at 4star, in the top 100, and ranked above Obekpa as well as Savon.

I use Scout because it's easy. They have him at 4star, in the top 100, and ranked above Obekpa as well as Savon.

Really? Ok. Yea, I wasn't doubting you, I was legitimately interested to see if other services thought highly of him. That's encouraging to hear.

The biggest positive is we played almost all freshmen and 6 new players ANDS won 4 games in the Big East with our coach out.
I would ask Boo Hoo and Bobre and a few other bright lights on this board in comparing two very young Big East programs, Providence and St. John's, who had better Big East games to date?
Now considering 5 of the Friars top 6 scorers are either sophs or juniors, did they regress? Are top recruits still looking at the Friars?
What about the year the Villanova Wildcats are having with veterans? Are they still signing recruits? Is the end near for them?
What about Uconn, once a top 10 team a few short weeks ago with talent on the Kentucky, UNC, Syracuse and Duke level. Have they disappointed the Boos and BoBres of their fan world?

Our redmen were 3 players short of having a very good year, even with young talent.
As the folk song said.......Clouds got in the way.
Tomorrow will be sunnier. 

Back