Best Transfers all time(non juco)

Watching the Marquette game, just thought about Al McGuire's brother, an all time great at St. John's and with the Knicks, Dick McGuire who transferred from Dartmouth. 

that's an amazing find. I knew Searcy, but didn't know Dick McGuire.

Cecil Rellford was also a transfer, no? 

What about Billy Goodwin?

Watching the Marquette game, just thought about Al McGuire's brother, an all time great at St. John's and with the Knicks, Dick McGuire who transferred from Dartmouth. 

Think Goodwin was JC

Think Goodwin was JC

The San Jacinto pipeline along with The Truth, Porter and Boo. Anyone else from San Jacinto?

Curtis Redding, K. State

Yeah, he was a real riot. While he was at KSt. the KU fans tossed hot dogs at him for obvious reasons. He couldn't handle the fact the Billy Goodwin got PT ahead of him and he quit the team. 

He was something else. Came to SJ with so much promise but couldnt shoot and never realy recovered from a knee injury...I remember during one game (I think Rutgers) at Alumni Hall, he got so ticked when Louie put him on the bench that he started cheering for the other team...It was incredible

If Dick McGuire was a transfer -- and like Kenny McIntyre, reading this thread is the first time I've learned of it -- then he's hands-down the best all-time transfer in St. John's history -- no ifs, ands, or buts about it! And happily he was deservedly honored as a "legacy" player while he was still with us. (Hint, hint to our Athletic Department about other greats who may be running out of time.)

Spears was also a juco transfer, so we luckily won't have to see his name in this thread again.

The player with the cast on his hand was Bill o'sullivan . If memory serves me right , he got into a fight in the manhattan game and I believe that caused the SJU - Manhattan rivalry to take a hiatus .

Spears was also a juco transfer, so we luckily won't have to see his name in this thread again.

Spears transferred from Illinois where he was recruited by Norm. He never played up to his hype, but he occupied guys under the boards so others could get the bounds.

http://donnieburks.com/home.html

Thanks, MainMain. Donnie had a great, full life (I had forgotten that he was one of the grapes in the Fruit of the Loom commercials!), albeit much too brief. 

Spears transferred from Illinois where he was recruited by Norm. He never played up to his hype, but he occupied guys under the boards so others could get the bounds.

He started at Illinois, but came to us from a juco that he went to after Illinois.

If Dick McGuire was a transfer -- and like Kenny McIntyre, reading this thread is the first time I've learned of it -- then he's hands-down the best all-time transfer in St. John's history -- no ifs, ands, or buts about it! And happily he was deservedly honored as a "legacy" player while he was still with us. (Hint, hint to our Athletic Department about other greats who may be running out of time.)

http://www.hickoksports.com/biograph/mcguiredick.shtml 

I guess we can debate if 5 games really count but he did play for another school before he returned to St. John's after WW2.

To be fair, it appears that he took courses for the U.S. Navy and not Dartmouth.

The reason I posted it, is that I remember seeing it in a very old NY Knick Year Book that I owned. Under college attended it was stated Dartmouth and St. John's. 

Dick McGuire is our best transfer but he gets an asterisk for war time eduction at Dartmouth. Kenny Mac, a dear friend for years, did transfer from NC and he produced one of our most unlikely and treasured championships in '65; he could shoot foul shots with Mullin any day when the game was on the line.  Brust was a NC transfer and, without a doubt, our most courageous and tough player ever. He had no skin on him by mid season and was one of the biggest fan favorites ever. Kevin Loughery was from BC and really changed the way we played; he was an almost unheard of, for the time, 6'4" guard (sometimes forward) from Cardinal Hayes in the Bronx and a very long term coach in the pros afterward. Ron Rowan has to be mentioned from ND because of "the shot" in '86 for the championship against Syracuse in the BE.
As far as transfers out, Rashon McCloud was the best and won championships for his team. I don't recall any others coming back to bite us or anyone who made an important winning difference where they went .
As an aside re: Holy Cross, Bob Cousey would have been right up there in transfers to StJ had Coach Lapchick not strongly advised him to stay with Doggie Julian, Coach's friend. Cousy , from St.Albans , Queens lost interest in the Cross after his freshman year and sought out Mr. Lapchick. Coach took the high road, as did Coach Lou after regarding prospective transfers, and, in this case Cousy stayed at home. He did pretty well in his pro career as well as with the Cross.

Back