Best Transfers all time(non juco)

Kenny Mac
Billy Laswrence
Reggie carter
Bernard Rencher
Ron Rowan  

Where did Kenny Mac transfer from? He was a three year starter, so he must have transferred after freshman year.

Billy Lawrence wasn't a transfer either, he just dropped out because of grades.

Curtis Redding, K. State

Yeah, he was a real riot. While he was at KSt. the KU fans tossed hot dogs at him for obvious reasons. He couldn't handle the fact the Billy Goodwin got PT ahead of him and he quit the team. 

Kenny Mac
Billy Laswrence
Reggie carter
Bernard Rencher
Ron Rowan  

Where did Kenny Mac transfer from? He was a three year starter, so he must have transferred after freshman year.

I was surprised to see Kenny Mac's name as well, Section9, since I know he played all three years of eligibility at St. John's. The poster who mentioned him said he transferred from UNC, which was news to me.

If he did, in fact, transfer to St. John's during or after his freshman year, then my top three would be Kenny Mac, Reggie Carter and Kevin Loughery, and I think all three deserve to have their jerseys hanging from the CA rafters.

As for Billy Lawrence, he was my freshman year's equivalent of the mystery recruit -- except there was no mystery, just a widespread rumor on campus that Billy Lawrence would be joining the team. But, as you noted, he never did. 

Redken , I posted it and my memory of so long ago is that Kenny Mac was at UNC, suffered a wrist injury, and transferred. I posted before that the 62/63 team with Donny Burks and mostly role players was one of my favorites at STJ because Coach Lapchick's dignity and standing by his depleted team was like a beacon of the right way to approach a competitive sport.

I was at NYU then as an undergrad and pr director of the student organization for sports.

Ed Searcy, a star at Power Memorial. Transferred from Duquesne (spelling ??). 

Wow, great memory.
Great HS team he played on with Len Elmore and Jap Trimble up front.
Anyone remeber the backcourt.
I'm blank on both kids, 2 small white guys is my only recollection.
jpm, where are you?

Redken , I posted it and my memory of so long ago is that Kenny Mac was at UNC, suffered a wrist injury, and transferred. I posted before that the 62/63 team with Donny Burks and mostly role players was one of my favorites at STJ because Coach Lapchick's dignity and standing by his depleted team was like a beacon of the right way to approach a competitive sport.

I was at NYU then as an undergrad and pr director of the student organization for sports.

Had never heard that before about Kenny Mac, so it comes as a complete surprise.

My first game at almost new Alumni Hall (which I was awed by; Rose Hill was the only other college gym I'd been in) was that year. Went to see eventual national champs Loyola of Chicago, and did they ever roll over that undermanned Redmen squad. (I've mentioned this is the past, but I remember our center, a lanky 6'-5" at best, played with one arm in a cast.) Possibly the worst team in St. John's history. Donnie Burks, as you probably know, when on to a successful career as an actor. Was in the original Broadway cast of "Hair."

(Apologies to the younger posters for yet another trip down Memory Lane.)

Kenny Mac
Billy Laswrence
Reggie carter
Bernard Rencher
Ron Rowan  

I was surprised to see Kenny Mac's name as well, Section9, since I know he played all three years of eligibility at St. John's. The poster who mentioned him said he transferred from UNC, which was news to me.

If he did, in fact, transfer to St. John's during or after his freshman year, then my top three would be Kenny Mac, Reggie Carter and Kevin Loughery, and I think all three deserve to have their jerseys hanging from the CA rafters.

As for Billy Lawrence, he was my freshman year's equivalent of the mystery recruit -- except there was no mystery, just a widespread rumor on campus that Billy Lawrence would be joining the team. But, as you noted, he never did. 

Actually lawrence did play 17 games in '63-'64, averaged 11.8, third behind the McIntyre brothers, and then failed to qualify for the following year. Too bad, he could shoot. 

Watching the Marquette game, just thought about Al McGuire's brother, an all time great at St. John's and with the Knicks, Dick McGuire who transferred from Dartmouth. 

Back