Best of Luck to all in Florida

So glad it’s over. The surge came halfway up my driveway. The worst part was losing power for three days. Just put about $200 worth of meat and fish in the dumpster. I wouldn’t want to be the trash guy in a couple of days.
My bizarre fantasy life includes everyone in the no power for refrigeration circumstance combining for a neighborhood grill off. Sorry you got stuck.

Pre-hurricane I was looking into getting a propane power whole-house generator. The price was in the $18K-$22K area, including burying the tank. More than what I wanted to spend, considering you hope you never use it, and the local area has been fairly unaffected in most years past.

Naples was really not hit hard, but lost power for two days. Frustration was after it was restored it was lost again and we were notified it won’t return until Tuesday night. We are certainly lucky in big picture, but nonetheless aggravated by all this on and off “stuff”

Pre-hurricane I was looking into getting a propane power whole-house generator. The price was in the $18K-$22K area, including burying the tank. More than what I wanted to spend, considering you hope you never use it, and the local area has been fairly unaffected in most years past.
I have Natural Gas and have been considering a whole house NG generator. I keep talking myself out of it based on the fact we very seldom lose power (we were part of the 10% on LI who did not lose power at all during Sandy) and on the rare over do, we get it back quickly.

Naples was really not hit hard, but lost power for two days. Frustration was after it was restored it was lost again and we were notified it won’t return until Tuesday night. We are certainly lucky in big picture, but nonetheless aggravated by all this on and off “stuff”
Im in Naples. Depends where you are. Most of my family did not lose power. Our building has been out since storm. Since a high rise generator is not an option for owners. Our office manager lives in Fort Myers and from Ian fid not have power until recently and still not back in their homes. If I had a home would spend for it and raise it as high as i could. It's like an insurance policy IMO.

*** just got an email. Power on

Last edited:
Have a Honda generator on wheels. Can handle gas, propane and natural gas. A golf buddy has a plumbing business and showed me this set up. Had to get an electrican to set up outside juice (special sized plug) and set up my panel, and have a guy that checks the generator in July. I'm set up for natural gas. Wheel it out of garage, plug it in (electric), connect hose to NG bib, turn off electrical panel. Can run the whole house (2,100 sq ft) with the only consideration being can't use dishwasher, dryer when the AC is running. Have used about 5 times in 17 years, once for 2/3 days, other times less then a day.

Im in Naples. Depends where you are. Most of my family did not lose power. Our building has been out since storm. Since a high rise generator is not an option for owners. Our office manager lives in Fort Myers and from Ian fid not have power until recently and still not back in their homes. If I had a home would spend for it and raise it as high as i could. It's like an insurance policy IMO.

*** just got an email. Power on
Have solar electric roof and battery storage.

Back