Best of Luck to all in Florida

Just left my place in Delray Beach on Monday, hope no trees land on me.

Tried to get Mama Nice to evacuate her place in The Villages, was told "I'm staying, my friends and I are going to support each other". I asked if any of her supportive friends have a chainsaw or a generator. Have not yet received a response. Sigh. Old people and their houses man.

Stay safe all.

Just left my place in Delray Beach on Monday, hope no trees land on me.

Tried to get Mama Nice to evacuate her place in The Villages, was told "I'm staying, my friends and I are going to support each other". I asked if any of her supportive friends have a chainsaw or a generator. Have not yet received a response. Sigh. Old people and their houses man.

Stay safe all.
There’s been some tornadoes in the area, just west of DRB. No news of damage or injuries.

My father-in-law is making the journey back to Punta Gorda today. He is estimating 3-4 feet of water in his house. Thankfully they had already gutted the house and cut the Sheetrock up about 4 feet after Helene.

Florida Johnnies - anyone ride out the storm? how bad was it? seeing that the eye broke before landfall?

There was seemingly no pattern to where the hurricane and tornadoes hit. In Florida

We are snowbirds on North Hutchinson Island ( 8 and 4months with Schroon Lake NY). The ocean is in front of the condo, with the Indian River in the back of the property. Our property went pretty much unscathed but we are still without electric power which is a minor inconvenience in the scheme of things.

I thought that the open spaces with the river and ocean would cause more damage to the Island than Vero mainland but to my surprise Vero mainland got hammered. The tornados raced through mainland downtown and decimated properties including Pickleball University where we geriatrics hang out. Below is a photo of Pickleball U.

we are a-ok in venice
saturday - 10;45am - wifi, therefore internet, tv, landline
friday - 5pm - electric power to the house
friday - 4pm - flag waving for a particular office seeker.
friday - 1pm - took a "shower" in the pool, water warmer than in house
wednesday - 7:30pm - lost power
wednesday - 7pm - lost wifi

ground zero was siesta key in nw sarasota county
winds came in at 120 mph, surge at 10 feet.
drove to downtown sarasota this morning.
the sarasota marina area got hit real hard.
saw a huge boat on the sidewalk.
maybe one in ten gas stations are open.
the 2 gas stations that i saw open had lines at least 1/2 mile long.
this was worse than helene but way less than ian.
it certainly was not a once in 100 year storm.

venice - surge at 7 feet, i had 6 inches of rain.
lost 3 lanai screens. no other damage.
I probably had the least damage of my 5 nearby neighbors.
green debris everywhere. filled 11 garbage cans already.
probably going to fill 11 more.
one in my 100 unit hood lost their roof.
only one of our 2 cell phones was sometimes working. nothing else,
the worst part of the storm for me - missing the last 2 yankee wins.

Glad to hear it appears (unless ai missed post) you are all okay with some of you having some but not massive damage.

Basically the same for my family and friends in Florida except for one who evacuated to Alabama. His cameras are out and has no idea how his house fared.

Back