Belgian Beers

http://youdontknowfootball.com/2012/05/what-im-drinking-and-why-you-should-care-5/

In case you guys are interested, I did another column focusing on Summer beers. For the Belgian heads out there I gave a big shot out to the Allagash White. What a beer!

Alligash White's been my beer of choice recently Agree with you, a great drop.

Alligash White's been my beer of choice recently Agree with you, a great drop.

Peter King's as well. Enjoyed it the handful of times I've had it. 

Thanks for the responses guys....and for taking the time to read them. I only review the brews I've had, and I try to keep the beers I talk about American. It's ridiculous how fast American craft beer has gotten this good. A decade ago there were just a handful of good American breweries, now there are literally more than 100 breweries doing great work.

http://youdontknowfootball.com/2012/05/what-im-drinking-and-why-you-should-care-5/

In case you guys are interested, I did another column focusing on Summer beers. For the Belgian heads out there I gave a big shot out to the Allagash White. What a beer!

Great article. I'll pick some of these up, especially the Allagash White given your comments. I'm a big fan of Sierra Nevada, but not so much they're Summer brew. I like Sam Adams much better.

Slightly off topic since it's not a Summer beer, but have you tried Otter Creek's Black IPA? It's from a brewery in Vermont, 6% alcohol and is really good when you're in the mood for an IPA.

Great article. I'll pick some of these up, especially the Allagash White given your comments. I'm a big fan of Sierra Nevada, but not so much they're Summer brew. I like Sam Adams much better.

Slightly off topic since it's not a Summer beer, but have you tried Otter Creek's Black IPA? It's from a brewery in Vermont, 6%
alcohol and is really good when you're in the mood for an IPA.

Otter Creek is excellent.
As a 40 year New England resident, best I've had is Ipswich.
And I've drank a ton of beer while up here.

Slightly off topic since it's not a Summer beer, but have you tried Otter Creek's Black IPA? It's from a brewery in Vermont, 6%

Weihenstephaner from Bavaria beats all Belgians. Oldest brewery in the world.

Slightly off topic since it's not a Summer beer, but have you tried Otter Creek's Black IPA? It's from a brewery in Vermont, 6% alcohol and is really good when you're in the mood for an IPA.

Not my personal favorite, but I've had the black IPA and theit 20th Anniversary Ale, which I know is more than 10%. You want a good American black IPA? Heavy Seas black cannon is one of the best I've had and its 7.2%. The 21st Amendment Back in Black is a pretty good black IPA, too.
If you're a fan of dark beer, which I'm assuming, you should try the Southern Tier 2X stout. It's freaking fantastic. Might be a little old by this time of the year, but if you can still find it, get it.  

Weihenstephaner from Bavaria beats all Belgians. Oldest brewery in the world.

hahah...funny you should mention Weihenstephaner...http://youdontknowfootball.com/2011/12/what-im-drinking-and-why-you-should-care-2/
I've done 5 "columns" now and this was my second, back around New Year's. It's actually my only non-American beer piece, so that goes to show what I think of this brewery. 

For those of you that want to check...
the first was a Winter beer review (Black Seas and 21st Amendment)
second was all Weihenstephaner bier
third was dedicated to the Founders brewery
fourth was a homage to California and ales in general (Lagunitas, Speakeasy, Green Flash)
this one was all Summer brews.
I try to keep what I'm writing about seasonal. I don't even like Summer beers to be honest, but I'm just trying to make suggestions on what I know I like and what I think you might.
Cheers to anyone who's taking the time to read them, I really appreciate it. I *burp* certainly enjoy writing them.

Weihenstephaners are fantastic.

My new favorite beer that I discovered over the winter is Kasteel Donker - one of the most dangerous brews ever made: a Belgian dark that is as smooth as silk, sweet even. Only when you discover yourself lying on the floor, will you realize it packs a whopping 11% abv.  

Weihenstephaners are fantastic.

My new favorite beer that I discovered over the winter is Kasteel Donker - one of the most dangerous brews ever made: a Belgian dark that is as smooth as silk, sweet even. Only when you discover yourself lying on the floor, will you realize it packs a whopping 11% abv.  

Sounds like something I would like. I definitely like that 11% number.
The last time I was at Radegast I had a bottle of the Hofstetten Granitbock. Not as strong, maybe 7 or 8%, and Austrian, not German, but very, very smooth. Next time I go back I'm getting it again.
My favorite biers from Germany right now are the Aecht Schlenkerla brand, in particular the Marzen, the Helles Bock, and the Eiche. All smoked, all freakin' great.

Just while up there? ; )

Back