Belgian Beers

MainMan

2023 $upporter
 I've been enjoying a few popular Belgian ales over the holidays in particular Chimay Blue (and Red) and Pawel Kwak. Really some of the best tasting beer I've ever had. They go down easy but pack a punch.

Any fans out there? Any recommendations? 

I've been enjoying a few popular Belgian ales over the holidays in particular Chimay Blue (and Red) and Pawel Kwak. They go down easy but pack a punch.

Any fans out there? Any recommendations?

Duval, Chimay White, Rochfort 10, any Limbac's

Don't know where you live, but if you want to sample, Waterzooi on Long island has over 130 Belgian beers on menu. Lots of good ones. Begin beers have a lot of complexity and flavor. Very different than ales from other countries.

I'm going to Radegast (sp?) in Williamsburg in 2 Saturdays to celebrate my 35th. I'll let you know how it is. It's a Belgian place, with some German beers. It's a tented beer garden with the heat lamps, so I hear. I'm pretty excited about it,

I'm not the biggest Belgian fan, and the Kwak is great, but I'm more of a Gulden Draak guy. 10 percent, nice and dark,,,,,hmmmmmmmm...... 
A lot of people swear by Corsendonk, but I really have to be in the mood to drink that type of beer. The Delirium Tremens, I believe, is Belgian, is pretty good, not quite as unfinished as most Belgian beers.

I've had 2 corked Chimays in my fridge for over a year now...I'm waiting for a special occassion to drink them. 

You can't go wrong with any of the beer produced by the various monasteries. There's one called delirium tremens, don't know the abbey offhand, but they also produce a darker beer. Both are outstanding. 

Don't know where you live, but if you want to sample, Waterzooi on Long island has over 130 Belgian beers on menu. Lots of good ones. Begin beers have a lot of complexity and flavor. Very different than ales from other countries.

Great place and great beer :)

Good place. Got drunk there watching USA/Ghana last summer while my wife was having her bridal shower next door at Novita (another good spot).

Thanks guys, didn't know so many of you have such good taste in beer.

The Trappists produce some of the best I've ever had. Makes the monastic life seem strangely appealing.

Well, today's the day....going to Radegast in Brooklyn to celebrate number 35. For you local beer snobs out there, and the German and Belgian beer fans, I'll give my thoughts tomorrow. I'm looking forward to it, not only for the beer, but they have an excellent sounding Saturday brunch with a (YES!!) cucumber bloody mary. Can't wait to try that.

Well, today's the day....going to Radegast in Brooklyn to celebrate number 35. For you local beer snobs out there, and the German and Belgian beer fans, I'll give my thoughts tomorrow. I'm looking forward to it, not only for the beer, but they have an excellent sounding Saturday brunch with a (YES!!) cucumber bloody mary. Can't wait to try that.

We're all assuming you're still too hungover to give us a report.

hahah....no....i've just been away from the computer for the last couple of days. I saw this post on my cell phone to be honest.
In short....the place is fantastic. Very family friendly. We brought my daughter, who's now 11 months, and I swear to God, she wasn't the youngest one there. Lots of kids. My brunch...Brisket hash and eggs, WOW! Cucumber bloody mary...so good, the in-laws got me a bottle of organic cucumber vodka for the birthday, and the beer....God Damn! 2 Weihenstephaner Vitus', a Kostrizer black lager in a 32 oz. mug, Aecht Schrlenker Rauch (that's smoked lager for you Westerners), we drank everything under the sun. Gotta dude smoking all sorts of tubed meats in the back of the place.....just perfect. Can't wait to go back. They had the "Pis Boy" on tap, which is a great Belgian white on tap.
Funny enough, I'm off day....drinking Delerium Tremens mixed with Framboise as I write this. All Belgian tonight. hahah....for the record....I was feeling very crappy yesterday morning, the Johnnies game blew. Loved seeing Moe kill it while he was playing, thought. Came home around 5 pm. on Saturday and watched the tape delay of the Spurs/Wolves game on FSC, and somehow put 8 Sierra Nevadas down after hanging in the BK. Yeah...not happy about that result, and then sleeping by halftime of the Den/NE game.
I've been writing a beer column (only 2 entries so far) for a web-site if anyone's interested. I don't want to come off like I'm promoting another site, but if it's cool and anyone's interested I'll put the links up.....One's a craft article and the other's a German article.   

hahah....no....i've just been away from the computer for the last couple of days. I saw this post on my cell phone to be honest.
In short....the place is fantastic. Very family friendly. We brought my daughter, who's now 11 months, and I swear to God, she wasn't the youngest one there. Lots of kids. My brunch...Brisket hash and eggs, WOW! Cucumber bloody mary...so good, the in-laws got me a bottle of organic cucumber vodka for the birthday, and the beer....God Damn! 2 Weihenstephaner Vitus', a Kostrizer black lager in a 32 oz. mug, Aecht Schrlenker Rauch (that's smoked lager for you Westerners), we drank everything under the sun. Gotta dude smoking all sorts of tubed meats in the back of the place.....just perfect. Can't wait to go back. They had the "Pis Boy" on tap, which is a great Belgian white on tap.
Funny enough, I'm off day....drinking Delerium Tremens mixed with Framboise as I write this. All Belgian tonight. hahah....for the record....I was feeling very crappy yesterday morning, the Johnnies game blew. Loved seeing Moe kill it while he was playing, thought. Came home around 5 pm. on Saturday and watched the tape delay of the Spurs/Wolves game on FSC, and somehow put 8 Sierra Nevadas down after hanging in the BK. Yeah...not happy about that result, and then sleeping by halftime of the Den/NE game.
I've been writing a beer column (only 2 entries so far) for a web-site if anyone's interested. I don't want to come off like I'm promoting another site, but if it's cool and anyone's interested I'll put the links up.....One's a craft article and the other's a German article.   

Glad you enjoyed it although I didn't understand about half the words in this post. Then again I'm still a high end beer nOOb.

Good place. Got drunk there watching USA/Ghana last summer while my wife was having her bridal shower next door at Novita (another good spot).

Same owners. Zooi is good but I like Novita better since the bar is bigger.

I literally work right across the street from there

I work 2 blocks from Waterzooi

2 blocks south right ? Will have to meet up there after work one night

Enjoyed some Three Philosophers - a Beligian-style quad made in Cooperstown, NY - last night.

2 blocks south right ? Will have to meet up there after work one night

Cool, I'd be up for that.

Back