Ballers vs. Students????

There is nothing racial about it unless you make it racial. The hood is not a nice place to grow up. The hood usually spells terrible education. The hood usually spells lots of crime and bad influences. Just when I think the most basic things are assumed, people on this forum prove me wrong. Do I have to start with teaching the alphabet? The sky is blue, gold is valuable, and if you are a baller from the hood chances are very high you don't give a crap about school or give a crap and do bad anyway given the limited resources. That is not up for debate. Why do you guys always talk about exceptions instead of the rule?

Here's your new paragraph. Calling a spade a spade was in reference to the fact that most major DI athletes are not students in the sense of really trying academically and committing to their GPA. I don't have to be from the hood to know facts. Do you have to be born in the ocean to know water is wet?

My point is that we all know deep down that MOST (that means not all for the slow ones) major athletes in power conferences care 100x more about getting to the NBA than getting that degree and maintaining a good GPA. These kids grow up idolizing rappers and guys like MJ...not Albert Einstein or Stephen Hawking. Bottom line is that it's stupid to hold them as mini gods on campus giving them so much power as an athlete then expect them to be academics by the same token. They are missing tests and countless classes for practice and games, not vice versa. If you don't think athletics are more important than academics these days to athletes especially in places like Michigan, Ohio State, UMiami, Texas, etc. then you are just fooling yourselves.

Instead of whining about my posts like little high school girls in a clique, how about being a man and just responding maturely with a well-formed rebuttal? I never knew older men could be so catty.

They need a 2.0. I mean St Johns classes (besides science majors) are easy as hell and they get a tutor. All I'm saying is if they can't make the grade they shouldn't be in the NCAA. Sorry but, half these kids do it to themselves and the schools let them so they aren't any better but, if you don't draw the line someone the lack of education will get worse and worse. Why not let them do what they gotta do.

We have 13 scholarships on this team and the future looks bright. Your Negativity is bring me down man. :( 

Joe3

Apparently you are not familiar with the changes made at UMiami during the past decade.

Miami is a top academic school as witnessed by is ever improving US News ranking #39 of all National Universities for undergrad studies.

Miami is no longer "Suntan U".

The hood usually spells lots of crime and bad influences. Just when I think the most basic things are assumed, people on this forum prove me wrong. Do I have to start with teaching the alphabet?

A as in Apple
B as in Biatch
C as in Couldn't Resist
D as in Dook
E as in Einstein
F as in F*ck
G as in Google
H as in Hilton
I as in Indigo
J as in Jack
K as in Karen
L as in LOL
M as in Medium Tee Shirt

:):):) .........  

BTW no one really knows what it's like in the hood unless you grew up on the mean streets of Glen Cove and had to walk to dairy barn at the age of 16 to buy your beer at 10pm in december and drink those same beers outside.

Those were some tough times but they built character  

Joe I think you're inherently wrong by generalizing urban kids in poorer neighborhoods. I've heard this arguement countless times but in the end the only definitive wrong thing is to say "most kids". Every kid is different, and we should not look down upon kids for following their dream through academic channels. It helps them accomplish their goals and become better men. I know plenty of white kids who never went to class in college and were busy smoking weed and doing coke on weekends... They never get scrutinized.

If you do not see a HUGE difference in quality of life and education in the inner city vs. suburbs then I don't know what else to tell you other than facts are facts. People and things CAN be generalized despite the PC culture we live in always talking about how everyone is the same. Not true. Italians are very family oriented, and live to eat. Black people love air jordans and hip hop. Asians are generally smart and docile. These are all generalizations, but they are true. I don't understand why it's so hard to admit these things. Stereotypes don't become stereotypes in the first place unless they are partially or mostly true. The problem is not white kids in the suburbs...it's black and latino kids in Harlem and East New York in terms of education levels and crime. Love it or hate it.

Instead of whining about my posts like little high school girls in a clique, how about being a man and just responding maturely with a well-formed rebuttal? I never knew older men could be so catty.

Hey Joe, if you went to Marist word in the hood is you like older men. As for a well-formed rebuttal young blood (or Cript), put this in your graduate school algorithm --- there are 4,000 division one basketball players. 98.5% will never, never, never play in the NBA. Your viewpoint is great---- for the 1.5% that make it to the NBA draft and the 1 per cent that are still playing in the NBA 5 years later. For the other 99%, they best be attending their classes.
Oh, and don't mention high school girls here without posting a picture of your girlfriend:)

Joe3

Apparently you are not familiar with the changes made at UMiami during the past decade.

Miami is a top academic school as witnessed by is ever improving US News ranking #39 of all National Universities for undergrad studies.

Miami is no longer "Suntan U".

You can't be serious. Yes of course it's a VERY tough school to get into...ACADEMICALLY! No crap. My argument is that the dumb jock types get into these very schools on the regular. You really think some random recruit from the inner city at terrible schools has the grades to get in without a football scholarship just as a student? Maybe a very slim percentage. Very rare though. I remember a basketball player living next door to me freshmen year at Marist and he could barely tie his shoes. For everyone else, it was 3.5+ GPA or bye bye...good luck getting in. There are different standards. You really think all the players on the Notre Dame football team are near Ivy League material grades wise? Must be joking. These are athletes not mathletes so why treat them as such?

If you do not see a HUGE difference in quality of life and education in the inner city vs. suburbs then I don't know what else to tell you other than facts are facts. People and things CAN be generalized despite the PC culture we live in always talking about how everyone is the same. Not true. Italians are very family oriented, and live to eat. Black people love air jordans and hip hop. Asians are generally smart and docile. These are all generalizations, but they are true. I don't understand why it's so hard to admit these things. Stereotypes don't become stereotypes in the first place unless they are partially or mostly true. The problem is not white kids in the suburbs...it's black and latino kids in Harlem and East New York in terms of education levels and crime. Love it or hate it.

Joey, Joey, Joey! What is next out that crazy Marist mind of yours? That Irish are drunks (sorry MJ), that Italians are winos (sorry Maven), that attorneys are degenerates (sorry FUN), that blacks cannot swim, that Mexicans love mowing lawn, that Greeks only own diners, that Jews secretly crave lobster, that Polish people cannot screw in a lightbulb, that Marist students smoke joints down by the boathouse, that all Muslims are terrorists????

What's the old saying, keep quite and let people wonder if you're an idiot rather than take to the keyboard and eliminate any doubt (or something like that). I gotta say reading Joe3 just keeps getting funnier and funnier, and yet sadder and sadder at the same time.

What's the old saying, keep quite and let people wonder if you're an idiot rather than take to the keyboard and eliminate any doubt (or something like that). I gotta say reading Joe3 just keeps getting funnier and funnier, and yet sadder and sadder at the same time.

And he's only 22 or something like that. He literally has decades to get even dumber.

Sorry I have had no time to reply to this amazing discourse in world cultures and race, because I have been too busy sitting in my urban manhattan apartment with my family, eating eggplant, prosciutto, mozzarella, and roasted peppers of course.

Is that anything like going to the Eastern European Butcher and Deli on Broadway in Astoria where the two Ecuadorean guys who work behind the counter both speak Romanian?

Maybe something got lost in the back and forth, but what's the problem you speak of?

Not to side with anyone in particular on this thread, except to say I agree with Arthur Ashe, who was very vocal in his objection to lowering the bar for African American student athletes in order for them to gain admission to universities and play D1 sports.

Many D1 athletes are already severely ill equipped for the rigors of college academics, no less have to carry the burden of playing a two semester sport like basketball, which includes 30-40 games, heavy travel, and a demanding practice regimen. Only the most disciplined student athletes, a kid lke GG, a Charles Minlend, a Rudy Wright, or a Frank Gilroy ever take their studies seriously. I observed Gilroy first hand, coming into the acdemic computing lab several times a week during the semester to complete assignments on his own.

John Thompson argued for lowering academic standards to account for the poor education systems poor African American students came from. Ashe thought this was without merit, and felt strongly that if you held African Americans up to a standard, and kids wanted to play a college sport, they would work harder all the way through to get an education. The late Mr. Ashe felt to do anything but hold African American athletes up to the same academic standard was racially biased by setting lower expectations. Ashe reasoned that lowered standards basically are telling those kids they aren't capable intellectually, when Ashe was fervent in his belief of intellectual equality.

Joe3 makes a valid point. Our NCAA D1 system is a huge profit center for colleges, and many student athletes use it as an audition for the pros, not taking advantage of the educational opportunity they are offered. Again, the rigors of playing a major college sport often requires that academics is secondary to the sport. When was the last time you heard of a St. John's player (or any player for that matter) missing a game to study for his math test. An absurd thought. However, i'd venture a guess that many an exam (and classes) were missed by student athletes too busy with travel or games to be on campus. Quite frankly, the system sucks, and is not designed for compromised student athletes to succeed in the classroom 

"Joe3 makes a valid point. Our NCAA D1 system is a huge profit center for colleges, and many student athletes use it as an audition for the pros, not taking advantage of the educational opportunity they are offered. Again, the rigors of playing a major college sport often requires that academics is secondary to the sport. When was the last time you heard of a St. John's player (or any player for that matter) missing a game to study for his math test. An absurd thought. However, i'd venture a guess that many an exam (and classes) were missed by student athletes too busy with travel or games to be on campus. Quite frankly, the system sucks, and is not designed for compromised student athletes to succeed in the classroom "

Thanks, but agreeing with me even when I make valid points is social suicide on this board. They won't let you sit at their lunch table now!

... When was the last time you heard of a St. John's player (or any player for that matter) missing a game to study for his math test. An absurd thought. However, i'd venture a guess that many an exam (and classes) were missed by student athletes too busy with travel or games to be on campus. Quite frankly, the system sucks, and is not designed for compromised student athletes to succeed in the classroom 

A few years ago (at the renaming of Alumni Hall to CA) I had the pleasure of speaking with former Redmen standout Ralph Abraham, who told me that he once missed a practice to study for a math exam, and that Looie -- hardly a Tarkanian, Sutton, or Calipari type -- was all over him, telling him to never do it again. The pressures of success -- be it the school's, the coach's, or the individual athlete's -- really do make the system suck for athletes looking to balance athletics and academics, whether they're from a model two-parent, white middle-class family or from a single-parent home in the 'hood.

"Joe3 makes a valid point. Our NCAA D1 system is a huge profit center for colleges, and many student athletes use it as an audition for the pros, not taking advantage of the educational opportunity they are offered. Again, the rigors of playing a major college sport often requires that academics is secondary to the sport. When was the last time you heard of a St. John's player (or any player for that matter) missing a game to study for his math test. An absurd thought. However, i'd venture a guess that many an exam (and classes) were missed by student athletes too busy with travel or games to be on campus. Quite frankly, the system sucks, and is not designed for compromised student athletes to succeed in the classroom "

Thanks, but agreeing with me even when I make valid points is social suicide on this board. They won't let you sit at their lunch table now!

If that was indeed your point then as usual it was very poorly communicated at first and then totally muddied with your ridiculous ethnic stereotyping. But I don't think that was your point at all.

And regarding the system that Beast and others are bemoaning Div atheletes have a a better, more comprehensive support system than regular students including academic advisers who work with professors to manage schedules and studying, tutors, etc... I could have used those when I was in school I think, it's so long ago I hardly remember. Now if your talking about the kids not getting a traditional campus/student lifestyle, well if they want that stop playing ball and give up the scholarship.

Back