2012 U.S. News Rankings - St. John's # 152

http://www.usnews.com/education/best-colleges/the-short-list-college/articles/2011/10/06/10-colleges-that-receive-the-most-applications

School name (state)

Applications received

U.S. News rank & category

University of California—Los Angeles

25, National Universities

St. John’s University (NY)

152, National Universities

University of California—Berkeley

21, National Universities

Drexel University (PA)

88, National Universities

University of California—San Diego

37, National Universities

California State University—Long Beach

26, Regional Universities (West)

University of California—Santa Barbara

42, National Universities

University of California—Irvine

45, National Universities

San Diego State University

164, National Universities

Tulane University (LA)

50, National Universities

72 - -

I don't want to confuse you with facts but the statements I make regarding our beloved St. John's academics and admissions are from information obtained from USNews and The College Board  which are a tad bit more authoritative than your antidotal generalizations and experiences. Please note however - - I do find your post and opinions entertaining.

ps. I notice that you duck any response to JerseyShoreJonny's reference to the morality of having a St.John's liberal arts undergrad from a low income family saddled with $32,886 undergrad debt. Stated another way; an equal number graduate with debt greater than $32,886 in debt.

Hello 72,

Before reacting to my posts you may want to read them first.

As I have EXPLICITLY said many times (most recently yesterday) "people can do what they want with their own hard earned money"

I wouldn't recommend it but heck if someone wants to do it, it's on them. I think if one does want to go to C.W. Post or Rider or whatever private school (for whatever reason) they may want to consider a community college first for the initial 2 years.

Second, I NEVER stated (or implied, for that matter) that we should do away with most private colleges as you cited. I just never want to hear somebody complain that they are X number of dollars in student loan debt and they can't find a job. No one forced then to go into debt or major in something where the employment options are non existent.

Again, to re-echo a previous comment: If these kids are going to go into debt, the university has a responsibility to provide them with a rigorous education and not let them slide through with a bunch of Mickey Mouse courses. They should make certain that their math, reading and writing skills are worthy of consideration in the marketplace once they graduate. St. John's should set the bar high and do everything they can to help these students who do not come equipped with strong academic skill sets when they arrive on campus. These kids should be challenged and encouraged to become intellectually curious. Now that would be be impressive.

Let me share 2 examples with you that are true and yet, as I'm sure you would agree, are beyond belief.

In the first instance I remember reading the Asbury Park Prees, the local Shore paper, and on the front page one Sunday was a story about a father complaining that his son had accumulated a significant amount of student loan debt from Monmout U. and couldn't find a job. Wow !! Was it a surprise that the debt came due ?? Did the father expect him to land a job at Goldman or J.P. Morgan paying $100,000 a year?? Perhaps they should have had a conversation BEFORE he matriculated at MU. Just a thought.

The second example, also true, involves a relative of my niece's husband. Seems that the kid went to a private school and accumulated $100K (not $10K, BUT $100K) in student loan debt and somehow he and his parents were shocked when the loan was due and he had a "mortgage" payment to pay every month.

If someone (from a family with an AGI of below $50K, which comprises about a third of all St. John's undergrads) wants to go $50K into debt (your BMW) for a St. John's education, be my guest. They are free to do so and God Bless them !  

!  

MY problem is that I am one of the few on this BASKETBALL forum that reads yours and OTIS's views on how God awful a St. John's education has or is becoming! Put your posts on the "other" community discussion board on this site in the future when it does not pertain to our team. As far as your implications You should re-read your comments! Here is an example:
"
I cannot figure out why anyone who lives in NJ would go to Seton Hall, or Monmouth or Rider, or fill in the blank (with the exception of Princeton) when they could go to Rutgers and pay less than $15K a yr. in tuition. "

Heck, maybe I am reading too much into your double talk but that sure sounds like it is either Princeton or a State institution to me! You see, I did fill in the blanks with other private colleges but you keep coming back to Rutgers, John Jay, Oneonta Community College and (fill in the blanks) because you are of the opinion that it is not worth going into a college loan debt.......but maybe it is ok to finance your kids desire for a BMW, Lexus or any other luxury car before he lands a job!
Peace brother![/quote]

Despite our differences I'm sure we would like each other !!

That said, these posts are NOT on the Redmen.Com BASKETBALL section. They are on the section that use to be called OPEN DISCUSSION and is now named PLAYERS LOUNGE.

The issue is NOT, (your words) HOW HORRIBLE A ST. JOHN'S EDUCATION HAS BECOME OR IS BECOMING (which I never stated) but is the education worth the amount of student loan debt one has to saddle themselves with. Unfortunately for many, this is not discussed until the bill comes due.

There are many programs at St. John's that I think are worth the money (i.e student loan debt), to a degree. Once again, as I have mentioned in other posts, they include such courses of study as those offered in The College of Pharmacy and the Allied Health Professions, The College of Business: Accounting, Finance, Computer Science, and The College of Arts and Sciences: Math, Chemistry, Biology and Physics, to name the most prominent. I'm sure others could add to that list.

Again, as I have pointed out to the point of ad nauseum, I don't think it is worth the money to go into heavy debt for many so-called soft majors. That is my personal opinion. If you think and/or others think it is worth the money, God Bless You. It's your money (or loan debt) and if you feel OK with that, so be it. It's no big deal to me. I'm not going to be the one paying it down.

Regarding the double talk comment, as far as I am concerned, it is MY OPINION that most kids would be better off going to a community college and then transferring to a 4 yr. school. Preferably this would be a state school, but if someone goes to a private school, at least they will not be burdened with the amount of debt thye would have accumulated if they went there as a freshman.

In addition, the only way I am financing a BMW, Jaguar, or Lexus is if it for myself!

If a kid comes from a family of financial means they will not suffer the same consequences (obviously) as ayoung man or woman who comes from a family that is struggling financially and has saddled himself/herself with an unreasonable amount of student loan debt.

It is the latter that I am concerned about in particular, not the former.

Peace and have a Great Weekend !!

I graduatedrom the College of Pharmacy in 08 which means I was there from fall 02-spring 08. I just need to say, its amazing the number of students who you knew freshman year who magically disappeared for sophomore year. I'm sorry, I understand the argument of diversity and giving back but why can't you do it while still having academic standards? I knew plenty of people who didn't deserve to be there from families who had no financial troubles. I felt like there was such a gap between the different colleges and majors it was disgusting. IMO a lot of the kids who didn't deserve to be there fell into a few select majors.

The reason the giving number is so low is probably due to the number of student who are from low income families who are just trying to hack it. Percentages don't always tell the whole story...especially since the univeristy's endowment is quite healthy the last time I checked!

I'm not saying change the mission...but maybe be a bit more selective. And in addition, try to close the gap between the different programs. But most importantly, BE PROACTIVE. Maybe start a school of engineering or technological sciences with something unique to offer that a lot of schools don't. It's clear Harrington can't do this but hopefully the next president can.

72 - -

I don't want to confuse you with facts but the statements I make regarding our beloved St. John's academics and admissions are from information obtained from USNews and The College Board  which are a tad bit more authoritative than your antidotal generalizations and experiences. Please note however - - I do find your post and opinions entertaining.

ps. I notice that you duck any response to JerseyShoreJonny's reference to the morality of having a St.John's liberal arts undergrad from a low income family saddled with $32,886 undergrad debt. Stated another way; an equal number graduate with debt greater than $32,886 in debt.

Hey OTIS, I find you and posts amusing also!! Be assured you have never confused me with your facts that you claim to obtain from USN and TCB. LOL!

As for anecdotal generalizations, here's one for you:
"The academic profile of incoming undergraduate students and you will find that the school attracts students with mediocre academic credentials from low income students that upon graduation are saddled with massive debt needed to churn the cash registers at St. John's."

I am sure your quote above was not a "generalization" but a fact you obtained from USNWR. The fact (see collegedata.com) that over 1,100 SJ freshmen share the same academic profile as 1,100 Villanova freshmen does not impress you. You want to focus on comparing the bottom third and attack SJ on "moral" grounds because, as is the case for most non-wealthy students, they must incur debt to pay for their educational services.

As for not responding to JSJ I thought you got my drift that if a consumer, a student in our case study, makes a conscious decision to purchase an educational service, that he/she made freely, if they choose to incur a debt to reach a goal, it is nobody's business but theirs and God bless! Such is the free market society we send working-class soldiers to die for in Iraq and Kabul. Now there is a real "moral" dilemma for you and JSJ!

To imply that minority student's with AGI of

http://www.usnews.com/education/best-colleges/the-short-list-college/articles/2011/10/06/10-colleges-that-receive-the-most-applications

School name (state)

Applications received

U.S. News rank & category

University of California—Los Angeles

25, National Universities

St. John’s University (NY)

152, National Universities

University of California—Berkeley

21, National Universities

Drexel University (PA)

88, National Universities

University of California—San Diego

37, National Universities

California State University—Long Beach

26, Regional Universities (West)

University of California—Santa Barbara

42, National Universities

University of California—Irvine

45, National Universities

San Diego State University

164, National Universities

Tulane University (LA)

50, National Universities

I'm sure cr would be interested in knowing that USC is ranked #23 on this list and UCLA is ranked #25. :evil:

The current discussion on efficiency (cost per unit of outcome) as a measure of the value of a St. John's education seems to me to miss the point. Go back to the Vincentian mission and ask about the input (the students); how many students are the first in their family to go to college? For how many of them is their role as family educational pioneers facilitated by symbols of their faith making their step in to college life seem less unfamiliar? For how many is the accessability of campus and even the symbol of the basketball team as something family members can support, an asset in what is a difficult transition? My doctoral work in education was at STJ and while there I was introduced to the book Realms of Meaning by Phillip Phenix. It has stayed with me (for more than 35 years) as a way to step back and look at multiple value sources when deciding whether something is "worth it".

Also, even longer ago I had a discussion about affirmative action with a friend who was a militant Afro-American community organizer and leader. We agreed that for some folks the leg up given by preferential hiring was in fact teaching a second message that they (who had received the preferential treatment) could not compete. He noted that the trade-off around this issue was that for the next generation, the role the person had obtained with a "raced-based boost" would seem entirely within the realm of the possible and the boost would not be remembered. I suspect that similar intergenerational effects devolve from many people who obtain their degrees at St. John's.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111903791504576587233723982822.html

Found your observations very interesting (above is a column written by Ward Conerly that I thought you might like to read. It appeared in the Oct. 4 Wall Street Journal).

That said, I think they hold more weight 35 or 40 yrs. ago than they do in 2011. A lot has changed in the last 4 decades (not the leas tof which was the election of President Obama) and I don't believe the need for Affirmative Action is needed to the same degree it once, arguably, was in the past. Obviously some will not agree, and that is to be expected.

When it comes to educational affirmative action, I think most associate it with elite undergrad or professional schools.

It would appear that there is no need to have an affirmative action policy at St. John's (the law school may be an exception since their admission criteria is more rigorous than the undergrad component of the university) since it is not a very difficult college to be admitted. There is no need for a race based boost at St. John's as there might be at an Ivy League School or an elite state university, for example.

I don't know about others but does anyone know anyone who has ever been rejected by the St. John's Undergraduate Admissions Dept. ?

Yes, I know that the acceptance rate is about 45%, but it's hard to believe there are 55% of applicants that are rejected. All kidding aside, who are these kids ?

With all due respect, I think some have missed my point (by the way, I am also the first in my family to attend and graduate from college) which is that a kid doesn't have to saddle themselves with out-sized student loan debt in their quest to be "educational pioneers" (as you make mention) and make college a realistic goal for those that come after them. He/she can go to a CUNY with the same results you justifiably point out.

One can accomplish all your "goals" without going putting themselves in a precarious financial position upon graduation (and let's not forget that a fair number of these young men and women never graduate for a variety of reasons, which is the worst of two worlds: student loan debt and no degree).

I think you are very well intentioned, sincere, and make some good points, but I would tend to disagree with you in some regard as the aforementioned details.

JerseyShorejohnny.........bashes St. John's again! The man who gives SO MUCH to alma mater is also its worst ctitic:
"I don't know about others but does anyone know anyone who has ever been rejected by the St. John's Undergraduate Admissions Dept. ?

Yes, I know that the acceptance rate is about 45%, but it's hard to believe there are 55% of applicants that are rejected. All kidding aside, who are these kids ?"

I would imagine some of those kids had to settle on some State Institutions ranked below SJU in your US News Bible?
Texas Tech
University of Rhode Island
San Diego State
West Virginia
Utah State
University of Colorado........OR
Most of the New York SUNY or NYC CUNY system!

While no one is arguing that the average student debt of $33,000 is high it is the average for private tuition-based schools whether they are ranked 25 or 250.

What irks me about you and your concern about student indebtedness upon graduation is that you skirt the entire issue of who covers the difference in the cost of public education.

I have never sent children to public colleges and neither have any of my relatives. Other than St. John's their kids attend or have attended NYU, Fordham, Villanova, Marist, Fairfield and Boston College.
Yet, we have all paid, via some of the highest taxes in America, for the SUNY and CUNY system.

I am not familiar with New Jersey or how extensive its public education system is but I can tell you that in New York there are some truly pitiful colleges that charge in-State residents around $25,000 to live in places like Plattsburgh, Potsdam, Oswego, and other remote cheap real-estate outposts and they resemble Russian campuses with their institutional brick buildings. Some may as well be called Campus #1, Campus #2, etc.

Now here is what gets my blood boiling......Even though these are State schools, students average debt is around $24,000!!!! Yes, only $9,000 less than a private education at St. John's!

As a tax payer I am more pissed that my tax dollars go to support these "average" colleges and kids come out with a pretty large debt to boot!!

Quite ironic isn't it? To attend a public college, paid by taxpayers, and still graduate with a large debt?

As for knowing someone not admitted to St. John's and who still went on to a four year college, I have known plenty!
They went to SUNY-Potsdam, CW Post, LIU, SUNY Westbury, the College of Staten Island, Iona, to name a few.

You would be surprised on the number of high school students who manage to graduate with a 2.5 GPA and cannot score more than 450 on the SAT sections! Thousands of those underachievers still want to attend college and in the case of New York City, every single one is guaranteed a seat in one of the CUNY schools!!! MOST of the rejected SJ students actually end up at CUNY schools!!!

Back