You're Blocked

When you look at the SJU statistics for the two the blocks per 40 minutes were the following. Owens averaged 4.2 per 40 for SJU, Obekpa 5.5. Higher for sure, yes, and I didn't dispute that - I would expect his raw block numbers to be higher. In fact, I knew they would be and didn't say they wouldn't be. I brought up goaltending.

The difference to me was one guy tried to block everything and didn't use his head which led to too many goaltending calls and the other guy did not. Every goaltend is two points for the other team and a real negative. But if goaltending is listed as a statistic in player profiles, I can't find it, so I won't fight the crowd on this, having no data to support what I have said. Sure felt to me like Owens was way more efficient at it, but memories can be faulty, which means I can't now be sure I'm correct.
It’s a good point. In terms of ability to block shots, obekpa was a league of his own. But sometimes going for a block is fools gold.

Obekpa was the best shot blocker I’ve ever seen, but he was a terrible positional defender. He went for the block at all costs and that not only led to goal tending calls, but him being badly out of position — like a fighter after missing a haymaker.

His missed blocks led to a ton of dunks and layups.
I don't think any fundamentals were taught at OSNA.

Obekpa was the best shot blocker I’ve ever seen, but he was a terrible positional defender. He went for the block at all costs and that not only led to goal tending calls, but him being badly out of position — like a fighter after missing a haymaker.

His missed blocks led to a ton of dunks and layups.
This. His timing and natural instincts on blocking shots was insane. As good as I’ve seen at the college level. But as a defense overall he had holes.

Remember they say we recruited Cockburn ? Time to change the thread to cock blocked which is every member here who doesn’t go with their wives to the games and I can make an argument after losses they are cock blocked also

Back