WVU Men Host St. John`s in Soccer Opener Friday

Red.Fans

Administrator
Staff member
bluegoldsports.com

On the eve of WVU football`s toughest season opener in program history. The WVU men’s soccer team takes on a familiar foe from last season St. John`s, at 5:30pm at dick dlesk soccer stadium. The Red Storm finished the 2013 campaign with a trip to the second round of the NCAA tournament and an 11-7-2 regular season record. WVU became very familiar with St. John`s in 2013. Senior, Andy Bevin led the team last year with nine goals and six assists and he hopes 2014 brings a different result. “We’ve had two shots at them, and we’ve lost both times. I definitely feel like it`s time to get some revenge. I feel like those two games we have, we’ve probably got the better of them and we’ve come out on the wrong side, so this time we`d like to come out on the right side.” WVU was picked to finish second in the Mid-American Conference. The squad is made up of 16 letter winners and nine returning starters. Head Coach Marlon Leblanc is looking forward to getting off on the right foot. LeBlanc says, “Were healthy and coming off of a good result. Its preseason, results don’t really matter, but its still a good result. I think were starting to find our chemistry, I like where we`re at.”

WVU does have to replace the likes of Named Osman and Craig Stephens who accounted for nine goals and 12 assists. They hope to do that with the likes of freshman Joey Piatczyc. He says, “I`m kinda everywhere in the midfield. I’ve played three out of the four midfield roles, usually starting in the attacking one, and depending on where he needs me, I’ll find my way to the defensive.” The Red Storm`s goalkeeper Rafael Diaz posts a .80 goals against average over his career, so they will need the depth of experience to gel with the new young talent and figure out that right combination of players to go up again st this tough St. John`s team. A junior trying to come back from his third acl tear, Nick Raskasky says, “They’re going to be tough, but I think our group has got what it takes.”

The Red Storm do return a trio of starters in Sean Sepe, Jimmy Mulligan, and Daniel Herrera who combined for 13 goals and seven assists. St. John`s was picked to finish fourth in the Big East this year. Senior defender Tim Parker has started 61 of 62 games in career and has helped lead a defense to 28 shutouts the past three seasons.

Back