What Could Have Been - Newsday April 9, 2024

SJU85

2023 $upporter 2022 $upporter
What could have been

Daniss Jenkins, at event in Queens on Monday night, said, “We’d have played to at least the Sweet 16.”

What could have been​

St. John’s players believe they had deep run in them
By ROGER RUBIN

Selection Sunday brought only disappointment and frustration for the St. John’s basketball team. Three weeks and 66 NCAA Tournament games later, there was resignation early on Monday evening, but those initial feelings hadn’t gone away. The Red Storm players believe that, given the way they were playing at season’s end, they would have played deep into this tourney.
“I honestly believe we’d have played to at least the Sweet 16,” Daniss Jenkins said. “The way that we play isn’t the way most teams in the tournament play. We played fast. We were deep. And we weren’t scared of anyone. Look at how we were playing at the end: We scored 90 on UConn. Who’s done that?”

Even after UConn won the national championship on Monday night by defeating Purdue, 75-60, no one had since the Red Storm. And St. John’s was the last team that made Connecticut sweat to the end, falling 95-90 in a Big East Tournament semifinal.

“The physicality and caliber of play in the Big East has shown in how UConn, Marquette and Creighton played in the tournament,” Nahiem Alleyne said, referring to all three reaching the Sweet 16. “We’d have made a run just like those teams did. Just didn’t get the opportunity.”

The St. John’s players were gathered Monday night at Applebee’s in Fresh Meadows, Queens, to sign autographs and take photographs with Red Storm fans and patrons gathering at the restaurant to watch the title game. But as Chris Ledlum said, “We’d have liked for them to be able to see us play a couple more games . . . If we’d been selected, I have no doubt we’d have done damage.”

St. John’s not only wasn’t selected, it wasn’t viewed as one of the last four pared from the 68-team field. Even with 11 Big East wins and a NET ranking of 32, St. John’s couldn’t overcome early-season non-conference losses to teams such as Boston College and Michigan. And that made it feel that much worse.

“It hurt to see that with us playing so well at the end of the season, that this team with all this talent didn’t get to play again,” Alleyne said. “That they saw us as coming up short.”
St. John’s won six straight games, including an upset of nationally ranked Creighton, before the loss to UConn that proved to be its last game of the season.

“I’m going to be as honest as I can be: Watching the tournament, I’ve been kind of disappointed,” Simeon Wilcher said. “No disrespect to any teams, but it’s clear we were supposed to be out there. I’ve rewatched our games and then watched these . . . We’re not letting this happen next year.”
“Things will be different, be better for us next season,” Brady Dunlap said. “And the way [the selection committee] saw the Big East? The disrespect was insane, especially when you watch teams going out and just getting pummeled. We hung with UConn twice and Seton Hall beat them.”

For Joel Soriano, the last three weeks haven’t been easy.

“I was pretty upset we weren’t selected and I don’t mean for like a couple days — it was like a week and a half,” said Soriano, who played his final college game. “The losses we took in the beginning of the season took a toll and . . . when you play like we did at the end, it leaves you with a lot of ‘what-ifs.’ I’ve thought about what we could have done in this tournament a lot.”

Jordan Dingle, who transferred from Harvard, said Selection Sunday hurt, but he has found an easier way to frame it. “At Harvard, Selection Sunday never meant anything to me,” he said. “I got to have the experience of having it mean something and be a part of the experience. I’m grateful I got that this season.”

Great article and totally agree we were one of the hottest teams in the country scoring tons of points we would have made noise in the tourney. It is a slap in the face to the big East that we only got 3 teams there’s no excuse for seton hall and us to have been left out. Glad big east went out and won both tourneys to prove that point!

Time to stop mourning, get some solid players and go to war next season. We have said our piece on getting short end of Dance stick, let’s not whine and get the job done. Pitino seems to be doing that. Year after year we dig big hole for ourselves like losing 8 of 10 BE games this year. Time to change that.

I woke up pissed off. This article didn't help.

Tired of being on the outside looking in.
"I woke up pissed off. This article didn't help."

Sorry to add to your bad mood.

it used to be that among the factors used by the selection committee were how you were playing down the stetch. they looked for hot teams rather than those with great november/december results. that was when you had a committee that understood basketball and did not rely on analytics

For the selection experts of which we have many who are very knowledgeable about how the process works
It is obvious now that the tournament is over the SJU big east loss to Conn should have been considered a plus in securing a bid. Yet it seems it was simply added to the Quad one losses which was a reason given for not inviting SJU.
Is there any difference between getting blown out by a top team or giving them a very competitive game or are both considered simply a Quad one loss?

For the selection experts of which we have many who are very knowledgeable about how the process works
It is obvious now that the tournament is over the SJU big east loss to Conn should have been considered a plus in securing a bid. Yet it seems it was simply added to the Quad one losses which was a reason given for not inviting SJU.
Is there any difference between getting blown out by a top team or giving them a very competitive game or are both considered simply a Quad one loss?
No and I don’t even think the quads mattered much either. I think it basically came down to KPI (and SOR to a lesser extent) and ours wasn’t good. Beating UConn would’ve helped, but also beating some low majors with good records would’ve been just as important. Essentially you just have to beat teams with good records (irrespective of their SOS and how good they are). KPI looks a lot like the old RPI and it’s crazy that it’s the main metric that matters but it is.

an Irish adage “old men talk about the past; young men talk about the future”.

Time for the grey hairs and the no hairs on Redfan to move forward.

We're all sick of getting dissed and missing out on the Dance, and I think we would have inflicted some damage this year as well which makes for more hair-pulling. (Personally taken care of years ago so no worries there. Lol.)

But it's time to put it in the books and move on.

The guy's returning will be hungry with a chip on their shoulders and Rick & Staff are deep in cobbling together a tough and deep roster for 2024-25.

Things are looking up for Johnny Nation.

Lots of work ahead for the staff. I like the group that we have returning, but don't think we have the nucleus of an NCAA team. Which means CRP needs to bring in much more than a group of complementary players. That's the bad news. The good news is that with only 1 player who played any real minutes the season before, we were a few missed jumpers away from an invite. I'm used to watching the other schools celebrate. Not happy about it, but just used to it. I feel bad for our guys missing out. They dealt with injuries and trying to mesh a new roster while playing a tough schedule. They finally figured it out. Just a little too late.

The big difference i see is that unlike the prior 3 ncaa bids where the teams were happy just to be there and played without any bullets to their pistols, this team was ready to compete and win some games.

It's the only season in all the decades I've had tickets that I felt we were preoared to do some damage in the tourney but had that opportunity taken from us.

Back