What are the effects of "twitter" on sports?

otis

Staff member
2022 $upporter Moderator
 My daughter has a college project examining the effects of "twitter" on sports - all sports: high school, college, pro, etc.

I would appreciate any opinions you have concerning your experiences and thoughts regarding twitter and how you see the twitter trend moving.

Thanks.

It has become the most essential form of ingesting breaking news(hard, sports, live events etc) mankind has had access to. It isnt the medium for context, but not many places are any more. If a reporter of news isn't dedicating time to tweeting, they should find another profession.

Can you think of the role Twitter would have played on 9/11?

My daughter has a college project examining the effects of "twitter" on sports - all sports: high school, college, pro, etc.

I would appreciate any opinions you have concerning your experiences and thoughts regarding twitter and how you see the twitter trend moving.

Thanks.

There was an article on ESPN awhile back about how college coaches were using twitter to contact recruits. Some criticism that it was an end-around NCAA laws. But one coach was quoted as saying something like "It's a huge part of my recruiting strategy", or something like that.

I'll see if I can find a link to it, might help your daughter.

Here's the article I was talking about, with several coaches on the record talking about how they use twitter.
"If you are not using it, you will fall way behind." - Stanford assistant FB coach

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/r...id/7510010/social-media-makes-mark-recruiting

Also came back with two other stories related to the topic.

Facebook, Twitter Taking Over -http://espn.go.com/college-sports/r...id/7695901/twitter-confusing-issue-recruiting

Twitter Enters Recruiting Fold - http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=4168518 

Last night, Joel Ward who is Black, scored the winning goal for Washington against the Bruins. Following that, there were so many racist twits using the N word and other curse words, that it was just disgusting to read. Twitter gives some people the opportunity to express their ignorance. 

Last night, Joel Ward who is Black, scored the winning goal for Washington against the Bruins. Following that, there were so many racist twits using the N word and other curse words, that it was just disgusting to read. Twitter gives some people the opportunity to express their ignorance. 

There is a very good article about this in USA Today. Also, You can just GOOGLE Joel Ward.

Thanks for the responses this far.

How many people use Twitter to follow a coach, team or player?

Thanks.

There is a very good article about this in USA Today. Also, You can just GOOGLE Joel Ward.

What a disgrace!

I can't think of any real benefit of twitter. Most of it is nonsense. Any real news is now reported instantaneously on ligit news channels.  Young people like it to express views with no consequences. I have no statistics but it probably does more harm than good like the Bruins situaution.

Back