Way to early Top 25

You believe that ESPN does not even have us in the Top 25!

If we win some games early on in the Bahamas, we will be worthy of such a ranking. Perhaps they remember last season when we had the 6th rated transfer class, had many talking top 25 and then had a 2-8 stretch in the Big East. Rick Pitino or not, a programs perception does not change over night, the respect must be earned.

I don’t think you will see us ranked by any non-big east media outlets until we prove we can beat ranked opponents. The early 5 game stretch where we play New Mexico, two games in the Baha Mar, Georgia and Kansas State will be key. IMHO we need to come out of that with a 4-1 record or we will not be taken serious by the ranking pundits. 3-2 might not cut it given our recent history.

If we win some games early on in the Bahamas, we will be worthy of such a ranking. Perhaps they remember last season when we had the 6th rated transfer class, had many talking top 25 and then had a 2-8 stretch in the Big East. Rick Pitino or not, a programs perception does not change over night, the respect must be earned.
I think we suffered from too much hype last year. Some media personalities had us ranked in the top 25 based solely on the Pitino hire. Heck, John Fanta (and don't get me wrong I love when he announces big east games) had us ranked 20th preseason! And of course we had a soft non-conference schedule that we didn't do too well in and struggled against (to say the least) the top of the big east. AND still with all that we were on the bubble. A crazy big step up from the 18-15 the year before. Unfortunately, what should have been an upbeat year for all of us it ended in the usual disappointment. That has to be due partly to our expectations.

Looking back on it, the team did a lot of great things. 3 of our starters were taking tremendous step up in competition. Our sole returning player had found himself being phased out of the line up and not even Nostradamus could have guessed who was going to be starting until the last week in February. And even with all that we finished solo fifth in the big east. It was impressive. I was the first to call DJ a chucker and worried out loud that the jump from Ivy League to the big east wouldn't translate. As it turns out it did translate. Not to three 1st round draft picks (Yes Rick called DJ a 1st rounder preseason), but to an all big east 2nd teamer and two big east starters. That is nothing to sneeze at.

....Looking back on it, the team did a lot of great things. 3 of our starters were taking tremendous step up in competition. Our sole returning player had found himself being phased out of the line up....
think this is a good perspective and outlook... I think 99% of us here expect us to perform better this season... which should result in an NCAA bid.

Looking at the who were 'expected' to be key contributors coming into Last Season... Dingle/Jenkins/Ledlum.... 2 Ivys/ MAAC player.... we certainly have improved on that with:
-Known BE 1st teamer in Kadary
-Seemingly special Talent in Smith coming from what was* a Power Conf (Conf of Champions anyone?)
-Scott/Vince - certainly seem capable albeit not so much proven with Vince.
-natural progression of those that stayed...

Recognize a Pre-season number isnt needed... but it certainly helps bring attention...

I don’t have a problem with this. We always want this more than most fanbases because we are desperate for any signs of hope.

I think this team will be wildly different from what we saw last year since we have the physical talent to play the way Pitino needs…but let’s prove it on the court. I think a lot of people are writing off the Pitino mystique after the weak team we fielded last season. That’s a mistake.

The top half of the Big East will be very strong. We could see 4 teams in the second weekend of the tournament.

I’m not worried about this upcoming season at all. We got Pitino and we got dudes!!

Back