USA/FRANCE

[quote="Tom in Salem" post=287958]Tim Parker starting.
For you non soccer fans, this is IMMENSE.
Has to be a first for a SJU soccer player.[/quote]
He's good, will start for years.
BTW we're up 1-0 at the half !

[quote="41ndone" post=287969][quote="Tom in Salem" post=287958]Tim Parker starting.
For you non soccer fans, this is IMMENSE.
Has to be a first for a SJU soccer player.[/quote]
He's good, will start for years.
BTW we're up 1-0 at the half ![/quote]

Close to 2 goals, but offsides.
He loves playing at home, but I think he'll get some serious overseas offers this summer.
He's been sensational today.

The Americans are young and will only get better which makes me look forward to the next world cup.
Considering the squad was without Christian Pulisic who could not train with squad likely because of his Borussia Dortmund commitment, the future looks bright.

These kids plus Pulisic would have qualified for the world cup. Frustrating.

My concern with the national team moving forward is the USSF. While moving on from Gulati was long overdue, his replacement, Carlos Cordeiro is from the same staid, unimaginative club of US soccer hierarchy.

Things must change. The USSF, MLS, and Soccer United Marketing (SUM), the powerful marketing arm of MLS and USSF, are incestuous organizations who weild too much -- if not all -- power in this country's scoocer decision making.

It is time for relegation, and easing up on the communist-style MLS centralized power over each franchise. How many leagues would allow one person, Phil Anschutz, to run six franchises, and Lamar Hunt to run three franchises at one time? This is a joke.

If the powers that be are so in love with European soccer, to the point its fandom allowed Klinsman a second world cup, why not go all the way.

Klinsmann was a disaster. And anyone who truly cares about US soccer knew this.

But MLS chief Don Garber, USSF, and SUM do not want to tamper with the status quo.. They have their greedy tentacles wrapped so tightly around the golden goose, it makes helicopter parents blush.

I admit, this world cup will have less excitement for me without the US and Italy. And a bottoming out is a good thing . There is no greater time for reflection and the opportunity for change. But while the next group of soccer players look promising, the soccer structure remains worrisome.

Gut the system. Free US soccer.

[quote="kranmars" post=287989]These kids plus Pulisic would have qualified for the world cup. Frustrating.

My concern with the national team moving forward is the USSF. While moving on from Gulati was long overdue, his replacement, Carlos Cordeiro is from the same staid, unimaginative club of US soccer hierarchy.

Things must change. The USSF, MLS, and Soccer United Marketing (SUM), the powerful marketing arm of MLS and USSF, are incestuous organizations who weild too much -- if not all -- power in this country's scoocer decision making.

It is time for relegation, and easing up on the communist-style MLS centralized power over each franchise. How many leagues would allow one person, Phil Anschutz, to run six franchises, and Lamar Hunt to run three franchises at one time? This is a joke.

If the powers that be are so in love with European soccer, to the point its fandom allowed Klinsman a second world cup, why not go all the way.

Klinsmann was a disaster. And anyone who truly cares about US soccer knew this.

But MLS chief Don Garber, USSF, and SUM do not want to tamper with the status quo.. They have their greedy tentacles wrapped so tightly around the golden goose, it makes helicopter parents blush.

I admit, this world cup will have less excitement for me without the US and Italy. And a bottoming out is a good thing . There is no greater time for reflection and the opportunity for change. But while the next group of soccer players look promising, the soccer structure remains worrisome.

Gut the system. Free US soccer.[/quote]

+1
Dead on..

Hopefully it was one terrible qualification and things can get better for the next cycle. 2002 was sure exciting.

Next qualification will be the last because after that the field is expanded and they will never have a problem

[quote="Class of 72" post=287980]The Americans are young and will only get better which makes me look forward to the next world cup.
Considering the squad was without Christian Pulisic who could not train with squad likely because of his Borussia Dortmund commitment, the future looks bright.[/quote]

Yeah, in 92, when we beat Mexico in the WC, I was thinking maybe in 10-15yrs that we'll be great. Well, in 2018 no wc.
I can't even watch us play after getting knocked out by the worst team in our group, what a joke. I'll start watching the qualification portion in 2021. I just can't get in U.S. soccer right now.

Guess I'm focused on women soccer WC in 2019 lmao.

[quote="Moose" post=288053]Next qualification will be the last because after that the field is expanded and they will never have a problem[/quote]

Yes, starting in 2026, it will expand to an unwieldy 48 teams. And CONCACAF will get one extra for sure (after Europe gets the biggest bump). Countries co-hosting will become the norm, because there will be so many games to navigate.

The US is the only country that can actually handle all games, because stadiums, hotel, and travel is set. It is reachi ng out to Mexiaco and Canada as a good faith. But, the US will have the bulk of the games, followed by Mexico and then Canada.

Not qualifying still stings. And in order to take the next step, the US must change its ways.

Back