US nocked out of Olympics qualifying.......again

Section9

After dropping a 2-1 loss to Honduras.  Second goal was a howler of a mistake by the goalie.  

What I don't understand is why several 24 and under guys like Pulisic, Reyna and Dest were playing for the national team in a friendly against N. Ireland earlier in the day and not for the team trying to qualify for the Olympics.  I get there are a lot of variables, like them not being released by their club teams to play in Tokyo, lack of practice time, the 90+ degree temp, altitude etc. in Mexico, but they could have had a week together.  After watching our lack of effectiveness in the final 1/3rd I can't help but think that they wouldn't have made a big difference..

If we won that game were in and then sort out player availability etc.  Now we sit back and wait another 3 years.  Let's hope US soccer comes up with a better plan,

My barber's Honduran and I'm going to be getting a rasher of sh-t over this./media/kunena/emoticons/tongue.png

Last edited:
Section9 post=428479 said:
After dropping a 2-1 loss to Honduras.  Second goal was a howler of a mistake by the goalie.  

What I don't understand is why several 24 and under guys like Pulisic, Reyna and Dest were playing for the national team in a friendly against N. Ireland earlier in the day and not for the team trying to qualify for the Olympics.  I get there are a lot of variables, like them not being released by their club teams to play in Tokyo, lack of practice time, the 90+ degree temp, altitude etc. in Mexico, but they could have had a week together.  After watching our lack of effectiveness in the final 1/3rd I can't help but think that they wouldn't have made a big difference..

If we won that game were in and then sort out player availability etc.  Now we sit back and wait another 3 years.  Let's hope US soccer comes up with a better plan,

My barber's Honduran and I'm going to be getting a rasher of sh-t over this./media/kunena/emoticons/tongue.png

Agreed on pretty much everything you said.  Would have rather our best players qualify us and then if they can't play in the summer we send out the B squad.

Not sure but I think the one 'reason' you missed might be Covid.  I think because they stayed in certain EUR countries as opposed to traveling across the Atlantic.

That all being said its embarrassing even with the 'B' squad we couldn't qualify.  Kreis showed just how poor a coach he is. The shine from his RSL days is long gone.

15 of the guys in Northern Ireland were Olympic eligible by age. How many of them don't play in Europe?  Honestly don't know.  The Olympics isn't a FIFA sanctioned competition so no teams are obligated to release their players to play in qualifying games and I'm sure the trans-Atlantic travel and Covid issues were major factors that either the contract holders or players considered.

austour post=428511 said:
15 of the guys in Northern Ireland were Olympic eligible by age. How many of them don't play in Europe?  Honestly don't know.  The Olympics isn't a FIFA sanctioned competition so no teams are obligated to release their players to play in qualifying games and I'm sure the trans-Atlantic travel and Covid issues were major factors that either the contract holders or players considered.

Only 3 of 23 were MLS players not based in EUR

Moose post=428517 said:
austour post=428511 said:

Only 3 of 23 were MLS players not based in EUR

Yeah, I was just going through the grades for the NI game and all of the contributing youngsters are playing in Europe.

Moose post=428494 said:
Section9 post=428479 said:

Agreed on pretty much everything you said.  Would have rather our best players qualify us and then if they can't play in the summer we send out the B squad.

Not sure but I think the one 'reason' you missed might be Covid.  I think because they stayed in certain EUR countries as opposed to traveling across the Atlantic.

That all being said its embarrassing even with the 'B' squad we couldn't qualify.  Kreis showed just how poor a coach he is. The shine from his RSL days is long gone.

Ah, overlooked covid.  But, most European countries require a 10 day to 2 week quarantine, so some of those guys who don't start for their club teams would miss a week or so, maybe two games. 

Austour pointed out there were 15 guys age eligible in N. Ire.  Can't help but think that the "worst" three or four of them might have made a difference.  I know the logistics situation is horrible  but I am still pissed about what happened yesterday.

Might have to let my hair grow for another couple of weeks or so./media/kunena/emoticons/cool.png

Last edited:
It's also important to point out that in the old world the Olympics just don't matter.  They've got World Cup, UCL, European Cup, national leagues, etc...  I think the FA cup has a brighter shine than the Olympics.  It just doesn't matter to them over there.  That might rub off on some of the US kids playing over there.  Not sure if it does, but it could.

austour post=428578 said:
It's also important to point out that in the old world the Olympics just don't matter.  They've got World Cup, UCL, European Cup, national leagues, etc...  I think the FA cup has a brighter shine than the Olympics.  It just doesn't matter to them over there.  That might rub off on some of the US kids playing over there.  Not sure if it does, but it could.
could have been smoke but a few US players in past few weeks expressed interest in playing this summer in the Olympics. Of course the clubs releasing them is a factor but Pulisic and Richards were two off the top of my head 

Back