Triple Crown ?

Nyra is hoping for 100k that day.  

I don't know why but I always thought Belmont always had over 100k. But googling the numbers its pretty rare.

Yeah, I go every year and unless there is a triple crown chance they get nowhere near 100K. The Smarty Jones triple crown try was the most jammed I can remember it there.

That year was crazy. I remember when they were coming around the last turn, Smarty Jones had a 4 or 5 length lead, and the place was going nuts. Then, as everyone knows, somehow Birdstone came out of nowhere and caught him right at the pole.
The next 4 or 5 seconds were pure silence. It was only a couple of seconds...it felt like minutes. And, then, pandemonium ensued. They haven't allowed outside alcohol in on Stakes day since.

They banned alcohol at Belmont too? I thought it was just the Preakness.

Just on Belmont stakes day you can't bring in your own alcohol-- but they do sell it there.

Nyra is hoping for 100k that day.  

I don't know why but I always thought Belmont always had over 100k. But googling the numbers its pretty rare.

Yeah, I go every year and unless there is a triple crown chance they get nowhere near 100K. The Smarty Jones triple crown try was the most jammed I can remember it there.

That year was crazy. I remember when they were coming around the last turn, Smarty Jones had a 4 or 5 length lead, and the place was going nuts. Then, as everyone knows, somehow Birdstone came out of nowhere and caught him right at the pole.
The next 4 or 5 seconds were pure silence. It was only a couple of seconds...it felt like minutes. And, then, pandemonium ensued. They haven't allowed outside alcohol in on Stakes day since.

They banned alcohol at Belmont too? I thought it was just the Preakness.

Just for the Stakes. And, they also banned outside alcohol when the Breeders Cup was in town 2 years ago. Every other day you can bring whatever you want as long as its in a can.
My buddy and I got a way around the policy every year though. Of course, I can't go this year, I'll be at a bachelor party in Atlantic City that day. The last time a horse was running for a Triple Crown chance (Big Brown) I was standing right at the final pole on the infield. Even though the final result sucked, it was a good day.
Just my luck, they'll probably be a Triple Crown winner finally, and I won't even be there to see it. I go to Belmont quite frequently. I'm off this week, I'm contemplating going to Twilight racing this Friday.

CC...that Smarty Jones year was effing nuts. Most of the people there could have cared less about the race. I saw at least 4 bad fights with my own eyes. When they declared the outside alcohol ban I couldn't really blame them. That one and the Funny Cide year were just straight up ridiculous on the WTF factor. 
As I previously wrote, the "sound" of 125,000 people in pure silence for those 4 or 5 seconds was one of the most peculiar moments of my life. Just utter silence, and then pure craziness afterward. I remember they had to bring in the mounted cops not too soon afterward into the picnic areas. The stupidity level that day was off the charts.

If I remember right the Funny Cide day it rained most of the morning, We got there around 9 to get a spot on the grass at the top of the stretch and I remember sitting in the rain. I go to Belmont a lot also, a few of us are going this Sunday-- if you will be there drop me a PM Saturday.

If I remember right the Funny Cide day it rained most of the morning, We got there around 9 to get a spot on the grass at the top of the stretch and I remember sitting in the rain. I go to Belmont a lot also, a few of us are going this Sunday-- if you will be there drop me a PM Saturday.

ha. I wish. Me and the missus have to go upstate for a wedding up in the Catskills Memorial Day weekend. If I do go this weekend it'll be Friday. My idea of a good day is a 12-pack, a good cigar, something decent to eat and a couple of hit exactas, so I'm a little perturbed that we'll be away.

ha. I wish. Me and the missus have to go upstate for a wedding up in the Catskills Memorial Day weekend. If I do go this weekend it'll be Friday. My idea of a good day is a 12-pack, a good cigar, something decent to eat and a couple of hit exactas, so I'm a little perturbed that we'll be away.

I hear that, everything but the cigar for me. My friends and I rent a house up in Saratoga for the meet every year. You ever been to Toga? Great town, better track- and Siros and the HorseShoe after the track are worth the trip up.

I hear that, everything but the cigar for me. My friends and I rent a house up in Saratoga for the meet every year. You ever been to Toga? Great town, better track- and Siros and the HorseShoe after the track are worth the trip up.

Yes, 3 times. Love it there...had one of my best betting days there too. Just a beautiful track and a beautiful area. Not surprisingly...haven't been there since I've been married. Shocker, right? Been to Monmouth and Aqueduct, too. Monmouth is nice, kinda Belmont by the ocean and Aqueduct is a dump. Sorry. 

What a preakness race today with I'll have another taking Bodemeister again down the stretch. Going to be real exciting in 3 weeks at the Belmont

Hopefully Bode makes it up here for the race

I'd be surprised if BM ran. There's no way he get s the extra furlong. Bet the house on Fly Lexis Fly.

????????????????

this horse has been racing in Peru

If youre gonna give tips give good ones.

What a preakness race today with I'll have another taking Bodemeister again down the stretch. Going to be real exciting in 3 weeks at the Belmont

I'd be surprised if BM ran. There's no way he get s the extra furlong. Bet the house on Fly Lexis Fly.

????????????????

If you're going to condescend, don't bother.

http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/racing-news/2012/03/06/fly-lexis-fly-skip-derby.aspx

Fly Lexis Fly, last year’s champion three-year-old colt in Peru, probably will pass on a projected campaign geared toward the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (G1) and instead point toward the Belmont Stakes (G1) on June 9.

And my girlfriend is Peruvian. She's definitely going to want to bet that horse 

????????????????

http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/racing-news/2012/03/06/fly-lexis-fly-skip-derby.aspx

Fly Lexis Fly, last year’s champion three-year-old colt in Peru, probably will pass on a projected campaign geared toward the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (G1) and instead point toward the Belmont Stakes (G1) on June 9.

condescending?

My you're sensitive

That link you posted is 2 months old. I may be wrong but I dont think he's running in the Belmont. 

http://www.drf.com/news/2012-belmont-stakes-contenders

????????????????

condescending?

My you're sensitive

Odd that I seem sensitive to you. Most people have the opposite impression. In any event I'm an acknowledged expert in condescension. If they had an olympics I'd be Mark Spritz.

That link you posted is 2 months old. I may be wrong but I dont think he's running in the Belmont. 

http://www.drf.com/news/2012-belmont-stakes-contenders

Yes I posted the first link from Google, which tends to show that FLF is not the "running in Peru" with 27 question marks appended. Last I heard he's in the US in Neil Drysdale's barn. He does not appear on the current list of Belmont entries. More's the pity.

Anyway if I were going to condescend to myself I'd have said something about the 'BM not getting the extra furlong' in the Bemont, as opposed to the extra three. Difference between a professional and an amateur I suppose.

Yes, 3 times. Love it there...had one of my best betting days there too. Just a beautiful track and a beautiful area. Not surprisingly...haven't been there since I've been married. Shocker, right? Been to Monmouth and Aqueduct, too. Monmouth is nice, kinda Belmont by the ocean and Aqueduct is a dump. Sorry. 

Yep, never a bad day at the Spa. Agree the Big A is a dump-- I will never go back.

Rumor has it Ill Have Another will be scratched for tomorrow's Stakes.
Details to follow, I guess. This sucks on many different levels.

True and highly suspicious. O'neill is well known as a dirty trainer. My spidey sense tells me that the horse tested positive for something and rather than giving the sport yet another black eye they gave him the opportunity to retire the horse gracefully.

True and highly suspicious. O'neill is well known as a dirty trainer. My spidey sense tells me that the horse tested positive for something and rather than giving the sport yet another black eye they gave him the opportunity to retire the horse gracefully.

This, actually, wouldn't surprise me in the least. O'Neill is already suspended in 2 states, I believe. Imagine the uproar if IHA would have won the triple crown and then it was found out the horse was getting milkshaked afterward? 

One thing that really sucks now is that my 5-3 exacta will be complete chalk.

Thought the same exact thing.

Back