Triple Crown ?

mjmaherjr

2023 $upporter 2022 $upporter
 What a preakness race today with I'll have another taking Bodemeister again down the stretch. Going to be real exciting in 3 weeks at the Belmont

Hopefully Bode makes it up here for the race

What a preakness race today with I'll have another taking Bodemeister again down the stretch. Going to be real exciting in 3 weeks at the Belmont

I'd be surprised if BM ran. There's no way he get s the extra furlong. Bet the house on Fly Lexis Fly.

Everyone will be pulling for I'll Have Another. Everyone is talking about that it's been 34 years since there has been a Triple Crown winner. I'd bet my house  on the best 3 year old around. Let's have another win! :ngrin:

I'd be surprised if BM ran. There's no way he get s the extra furlong. Bet the house on Fly Lexis Fly.
 BM isn't running.

The sport definitely needs a Triple Crown winner. It won't bring horse racing back to national relevance, but it would definitely breathe some life into it.

I'm hoping the crowd at the Belmont swells to 100,000 and that I'll Have Another takes it in a landslide.

The sport definitely needs a Triple Crown winner. It won't bring horse racing back to national relevance, but it would definitely breathe some life into it.

This is nonsense. A TC winner would put horseracing page one below the fold for a day and on the sports pages for two or three. After that, bupkis. Non racing fans will go back to Dancing With the Stars and the slots and horseplayers will be handicapping Wednesday's Belmont card. Only the bread and circuses crowd will care and then only briefly.

I'm hoping the crowd at the Belmont swells to 100,000 and that I'll Have Another takes it in a landslide.

Horse don't win in landslides. It's a race, not an election.

Nyra is hoping for 100k that day.  

I don't know why but I always thought Belmont always had over 100k. But googling the numbers its pretty rare.

Yeah, I go every year and unless there is a triple crown chance they get nowhere near 100K. The Smarty Jones triple crown try was the most jammed I can remember it there.

I don't know why but I always thought Belmont always had over 100k. But googling the numbers its pretty rare.

Yeah, I go every year and unless there is a triple crown chance they get nowhere near 100K. The Smarty Jones triple crown try was the most jammed I can remember it there.

CC how do you get your tickets each year ? Through the online subscription thing ? My girlfriend and I went last year for the 1st time and I got them off stub hub and had an awesome time. Needless to say last year the prices weren't bad and we got really good seats. This year I really don't feel like shelling out $400 + for a pair of seats. My only hope it looks like is if one of my clients who owns a bunch of horses comes up for the race and can get me in with him

Marillac's one of your clients?

HAAAAAA. Nah my client sells and races horses in Kentucky part of the time but actually has his farm in Delaware. I think Sheik Allah Abdul De Marillac just travels between his farm in kentucky his palace in Saudi Arabia and his dorm in florida.

HAAAAAA. Nah my client sells and races horses in Kentucky part of the time but actually has his farm in Delaware. I think Sheik Allah Abdul De Marillac just travels between his farm in kentucky his palace in Saudi Arabia and his dorm in florida.

Call up Repole

Call up Repole
  If I had his number I'd call for tickets. LOL I'm sure he's going to be there with a chance to witness history.

That place will be rocking. 

CC how do you get your tickets each year ? Through the online subscription thing ? My girlfriend and I went last year for the 1st time and I got them off stub hub and had an awesome time. Needless to say last year the prices weren't bad and we got really good seats. This year I really don't feel like shelling out $400 + for a pair of seats. My only hope it looks like is if one of my clients who owns a bunch of horses comes up for the race and can get me in with him

I never pay more than 3 bucks to get in. Then again, I don't care where I am/sit at the track.

That year was crazy. I remember when they were coming around the last turn, Smarty Jones had a 4 or 5 length lead, and the place was going nuts. Then, as everyone knows, somehow Birdstone came out of nowhere and caught him right at the pole.
The next 4 or 5 seconds were pure silence. It was only a couple of seconds...it felt like minutes. And, then, pandemonium ensued. They haven't allowed outside alcohol in on Stakes day since.

Hey Mj

My friends and I don't get tickets, we pack a cooler ( have to hide beers on the bottom on Belmont Day) and sit at the top of the stretch . We bring chairs and get there early and get some space. Last year was rough b/c it was raining but we were under a over-hang.

That year was crazy. I remember when they were coming around the last turn, Smarty Jones had a 4 or 5 length lead, and the place was going nuts. Then, as everyone knows, somehow Birdstone came out of nowhere and caught him right at the pole.
The next 4 or 5 seconds were pure silence. It was only a couple of seconds...it felt like minutes. And, then, pandemonium ensued. They haven't allowed outside alcohol in on Stakes day since.

Yep, that was the day that ruined it for everyone-- now we have to sneak beers in like we are in high school. There were fans from Philly there that day - Smarty was a Philly horse, and supposely there were a lot of fights. I do remember the place going bonkos when the horses turned for home.

They banned alcohol at Belmont too? I thought it was just the Preakness.

They banned alcohol at Belmont too? I thought it was just the Preakness.

Just for the Stakes. And, they also banned outside alcohol when the Breeders Cup was in town 2 years ago. Every other day you can bring whatever you want as long as its in a can.
My buddy and I got a way around the policy every year though. Of course, I can't go this year, I'll be at a bachelor party in Atlantic City that day. The last time a horse was running for a Triple Crown chance (Big Brown) I was standing right at the final pole on the infield. Even though the final result sucked, it was a good day.
Just my luck, they'll probably be a Triple Crown winner finally, and I won't even be there to see it. I go to Belmont quite frequently. I'm off this week, I'm contemplating going to Twilight racing this Friday.

CC...that Smarty Jones year was effing nuts. Most of the people there could have cared less about the race. I saw at least 4 bad fights with my own eyes. When they declared the outside alcohol ban I couldn't really blame them. That one and the Funny Cide year were just straight up ridiculous on the WTF factor. 
As I previously wrote, the "sound" of 125,000 people in pure silence for those 4 or 5 seconds was one of the most peculiar moments of my life. Just utter silence, and then pure craziness afterward. I remember they had to bring in the mounted cops not too soon afterward into the picnic areas. The stupidity level that day was off the charts.

Back