Title IX and Women's lacrosse?

MCNPA

2023 $upporter
Was thinking about this, but seeing the success of our men's lacrosse program, I think it would be very smart for SJU thinking about adding Women's lacrosse and dropping softball. There are a lot of good reasons to do this. The D1 scholarship allotment for Women's Lacrosse is 12 which is the same as softball. It would be an even swap for Title IX requirements.

Right now the softball stadium takes up a proportionately large amount of space on the SJU campus for a single sport. Getting rid of softball would allow SJU a pretty large swathe of land as well as available land where the ROTC facilities are to use for campus betterment ie Dorms, green space or whatever.

In turn, with both men's and women's lax programs, it would allow SJU to sink a little bit of money into better lacrosse facilities, stadium, locker rooms for both teams at the same cost and betterment of both programs. IMO a move like that makes lots of sense in the long term, both for smarter use of campus space and better facilities for two programs instead of separate stadiums for different sports. Just a thought.

That's an excellent idea.
Would bring a lot more local athletes in as well.
Still have to play lax at Belson.
BTW Marcus, what the hell happened to your karma?

That's an excellent idea.
Would bring a lot more local athletes in as well.
Still have to play lax at Belson.
BTW Marcus, what the hell happened to your karma?

Don't know what happened to the karma? I think one time when there were site updates lots of people's karma went to negative. I'm not sure why? I think it was some site glitch or something.

As far as the women's lax thing goes, I think it's a no-brainer. Sink more funds into both men's and women's lacrosse which is natural fit in our geographic location. Upgrade and share same stadium and facilities. Open up big piece of the campus to use for other more pressing needs. Hope it happens at some point. Even adding one more dorm I'm sure would bring in enough money to pay for costs of upgrading lacrosse "stadium" and facilities. Right now the lax team doesn't even have any real facilities.

Back