Through four Big East Games....

Marillac

D'Angleo Harrison is the #2 scorer in the Big East at 21 ppg as well as #13 in assists at 4 per game. He's also close to getting on the rebound list.

These are for conference games only. Sensational effort from Harrison thus far. 

When we read about him getting recruited , you always heard of how great of a Shot he got and a pure scorer ........ But he's one tuff player. It's like he was born to play in the Big East . Diving for loose balls , taking charges , pride in playing Defense and got an attitude like a Newyorker ! Whoever on the coaching staff that got this kid to sign , kudos to him!  

D'Angleo Harison is the #2 scorer in the Big East at 21 ppg. He's also #13 in assists at 4 per game. He's also close to getting on the rebound list.

These are for conference games only. Sensational effort from Harrison thus far.

Is Harkless on the rebound list? He's had 2 double-figure board games in conference play.

Thanks for that link TIS....something I noticed though is GG has to start stepping up. At least in rebounding. His scoring has been way off, and I don't know if it's just me, but his hands aren't as soft as they were in the first few games this year, he never seems ready for the dish to him, and he is not finishing except on breakaways. Another thing I saw that I liked as a team was the blocked shots average. not too bad for a team without a true big

Thanks for that link TIS....something I noticed though is GG has to start stepping up. At least in rebounding. His scoring has been way off, and I don't know if it's just me, but his hands aren't as soft as they were in the first few games this year, he never seems ready for the dish to him, and he is not finishing except on breakaways. Another thing I saw that I liked as a team was the blocked shots average. not too bad for a team without a true big

He's indirectly taking up some space and attention down low. Freeing up Moe and his length to board. But I see Gift getting frustrated. But he is alone down low really so staff needs to temper that.

Good stats:

- 21 ppg from Harrison and 18.5 ppg from Harkless.
- Harkless percentages: .518 and 12-13 free throws.
- Harrison 26-32 free throws.
- Harrison 16 assists and only 5 turnovers.
- Team free trow shooting .770.

Bad stats:

- Greene 7-32 field goals.
- Pointer 1-9 three pointers.
- Three point shooting .243 (18-74). 

Good stats:

- 21 ppg from Harrison and 18.5 ppg from Harkless.
- Harkless percentages: .518 and 12-13 free throws.
- Harrison 26-32 free throws.
- Harrison 16 assists and only 5 turnovers.
- Team free trow shooting .770.

Bad stats:

- Greene 7-32 field goals.
- Pointer 1-9 three pointers.
- Three point shooting .243 (18-74). 

Pointer and Gift should not be allowed to take any more 3's

I know this will shock you ... but I disagree. I don't want them bombing away, but Gift, Harkless, and Pointer all look like they might eventually hit enough from range to pull defenses out of the zone. I don't think any of them are going to threaten the all-time leaderboards, but if they can hit someplace north of 30% when open I think it would be a big plus for the offense.

The only way to find out is to let them shoot some more in game situations, and this year is definitely the year to do that.

Some more analysis of the stats through 4 Big East games..

On the plus side we're 2nd in the league in foul shooting. Never would have seen that coming after our first couple of exhibitions when we shot so terribly. In that category at least it seems to be addition by subtraction of Lindsey.  

On the negative side, we're last in the league in assists, at just over 11 a game. We're going to need to pick that up to continue to be successful in conference play. But like a lot of posters have said, learning to move without the ball,. and how to pass effectively is a skill most freshmen have to learn. So I expect to see steady improvement from the offense, and the assist totals should improve.

I know this will shock you ... but I disagree. I don't want them bombing away, but Gift, Harkless, and Pointer all look like they might eventually hit enough from range to pull defenses out of the zone. I don't think any of them are going to threaten the all-time leaderboards, but if they can hit someplace north of 30% when open I think it would be a big plus for the offense.

The only way to find out is to let them shoot some more in game situations, and this year is definitely the year to do that.

Don't disagree. They might. But not now. Moe can shoot them but Dom should be driving and Gift needs to stay down low.

He's indirectly taking up some space and attention down low. Freeing up Moe and his length to board. But I see Gift getting frustrated. But he is alone down low really so staff needs to temper that.

Yeah, that is a good point in terms of for Moe, however I still think he has butter fingers lately on some nice inside passing.

Yeah, that is a good point in terms of for Moe, however I still think he has butter fingers lately on some nice inside passing.

Agreed. I think Gift has looked tired of late too. Have to wonder at what point does playing 38 mins a game catch up to these kids.

Agreed. I think Gift has looked tired of late too. Have to wonder at what point does playing 38 mins a game catch up to these kids.

Forgive me for my ignorance cuz I've only played pick up games and some intramural, but is there that big of a difference if they play 30-32 minutes like most teams, then 36-38 on this team?? Perhaps there is a big difference, I was just wondering for people that have maybe played more than just in the school yard or gym in some pick up games if there is a big effect or not. I give these kids credit for busting their butts every game, and every practice, I was just wondering. 

I have no clue nor does probably any poster on here. But I do think its the reason we have a too many scoreless lulls each game.

Forgive me for my ignorance cuz I've only played pick up games and some intramural, but is there that big of a difference if they play 30-32 minutes like most teams, then 36-38 on this team?? Perhaps there is a big difference, I was just wondering for people that have maybe played more than just in the school yard or gym in some pick up games if there is a big effect or not. I give these kids credit for busting their butts every game, and every practice, I was just wondering. 

I have no clue nor does probably any poster on here. But I do think its the reason we have a too many scoreless lulls each game.

There's a significant difference. It's not so much about the minutes you play (in terms of game time) as it is the minutes you rest (in terms of real time). Games take roughly 2 hours. With halftime removed, it's about 50 minutes to play each half. Every 2 minutes of game time is about 5 minutes of real time. So the difference between playing 32 and 38 game minutes is 15 minutes of actual time. When you consider how hard these kids play and how physical the game is, 15 extra minutes on the bench vs. on the court goes a long way towards keeping the body fresh or draining it.

Obviously there are a number of factors that go into how taxing game minutes are (pace of that particular game, style a team plays, the conditioning of a player, etc.), and we are seeing right before our eyes how possible it is for kids to play extremely hard for 38+ minutes and win. I think the concern though - and Moose referenced this earlier in this thread I believe - is more about what impact this has over the long haul of a season as opposed to within a single game. These kids have incredible motors, as good as I've ever seen; despite the ugly offensive play and bad loss, I wasn't even slightly annoyed after the Louisville game because of how hard they continued to play defensively right until the last minute. But at some point it might catch up to them a bit (also, hopefully, might not).

Since they essentially have no choice but to continue to play them these huge minutes in games, I was very glad to hear Dunlap mention after the Cincy game how aware they are trying to be of keeping their legs fresh. I'm sure the coaching staff can't practice them as hard as they might a team with 13 scholarship players. A strict 7 man rotation is likely unchartered territory for everyone, coaches included, so everyone is learning on the fly what the best coarse of action is and reacting. Which is exactly what is happening.

I've definitely played in more than one hourlong nonstop-running game in 100 degree weather at Lido Beach, and I still don't think that even remotely compares to what these guys endure. I was definitely outsized by the guy I usually covered, but I didn't have him leaning on me every trip down court, either. GGA is going to have a rough time being effective at the end of the season.

I think the banging is more tiring than the running, since all these guys are pretty dazzling athletes. But that's definitely an uninformed opinion, since I wasn't good enough to play for my high school or D-III college.

There's a significant difference. It's not so much about the minutes you play (in terms of game time) as it is the minutes you rest (in terms of real time). Games take roughly 2 hours. With halftime removed, it's about 50 minutes to play each half. Every 2 minutes of game time is about 5 minutes of real time. So the difference between playing 32 and 38 game minutes is 15 minutes of actual time. When you consider how hard these kids play and how physical the game is, 15 extra minutes on the bench vs. on the court goes a long way towards keeping the body fresh or draining it.

Obviously there are a number of factors that go into how taxing game minutes are (pace of that particular game, style a team plays, the conditioning of a player, etc.), and we are seeing right before our eyes how possible it is for kids to play extremely hard for 38+ minutes and win. I think the concern though - and Moose referenced this earlier in this thread I believe - is more about what impact this has over the long haul of a season as opposed to within a single game. These kids have incredible motors, as good as I've ever seen; despite the ugly offensive play and bad loss, I wasn't even slightly annoyed after the Louisville game because of how hard they continued to play defensively right until the last minute. But at some point it might catch up to them a bit (also, hopefully, might not).

Since they essentially have no choice but to continue to play them these huge minutes in games, I was very glad to hear Dunlap mention after the Cincy game how aware they are trying to be of keeping their legs fresh. I'm sure the coaching staff can't practice them as hard as they might a team with 13 scholarship players. A strict 7 man rotation is likely unchartered territory for everyone, coaches included, so everyone is learning on the fly what the best coarse of action is and reacting. Which is exactly what is happening.

So this begs the question; are the walkons all that bad that they can't be on the floor for 5 min a half? The obvious answer is yes otherwise they would be. Does anyone think any one of them will develope to the point where they could be put out there for a few quality min?

Thank you for that detailed explanation. It makes a lot of sense.

So this begs the question; are the walkons all that bad that they can't be on the floor for 5 min a half? The obvious answer is yes otherwise they would be. Does anyone think any one of them will develope to the point where they could be put out there for a few quality min?

My understanding is the staff will not play the walkons unless they absolutely have to. AKA players fouling out.

There are 330 something D1 schools with 13 ships given. (Minus the Ivy's). In addition there are D2 schools. And to some extent D3. These kids could have played ball there if they wanted but did not for whatever reason. Not trying to knock them because I appreciate them giving their time to be practice partners for the team but they are walkons for a reason.

Back