The Return Of The King

Spocky Ramone

It's the Oscar winner that sells the tickets, rakes in the cash, and excites the fan boys. It's like when the swallows return to Capistrano, it's a newsworthy occurrence. It's a major event, perhaps THE event of the summer. It dominates the local news cycle. It's the thing that gives meaning to a place, to a people who share a common bond and an emotional connection. It's like the reemergence of the big stick in the lineup, the cleanup hitter, the scary bat... Bob's Big Boy with fries... with extra cheese... maybe some bacon.

Of course, for every Isildur's heir, there's a Denethor. Sure, the local car washes are all thrilled, but maybe not all of the local citizenry. There will always be somebody who's a wet blanket, a Debbie Downer, a Nakatomi Roy...

Of course, I know you all realize I'm talking about...

This guy!

BobbyBonillaDay2023.jpg

Happy Bobby Bonilla Day Met fans! He is truly the monarch of financial prowess! We all have 1,193,248.20 reasons to be happy today, but Bobby's happiness is fungible, whereas ours is intangible. Or non-existent. The pain is dulled by the deep pockets of Uncle Stevie, but there was a recent article that the 2023 Mets are the worst team money can buy. Of course, 30 some-odd years ago, our hero was also on the worst team money could buy. And it was also a baseball team that played in Queens. All we are missing are some parking lot fireworks and a bleach-filled super soaker.

I invested in a Prudential annuity about 15 years ago that guaranteed a minimum of a 6% annual return and began lifetime payouts at age 65 based on 20 years. Bonilla's deal started payouts at age 50 based on 8% annual growth, and are finite. Considering the returns that Madoff invested money were generating, seemed like a smart move all around at the time.

Giants flew Bonilla to appear and speak at Barry Bonds day, which i attended. First class event though Bonds rambled on for what seemed to be 30 minutes and can be summarized as "me me me me me".
Bonilla opening comments were in the order of "I'm thrilled to be here, but I don't think Barry has to worry about every speaking at a Bobby Bonilla day by the Mets".

Back