The BE and the ACC

lawmanfan

Staff member
My beef with the Selection Committee this year (and that conversation can continue in the Bubble thread) is not so much SJU-based as Big East based. As I posted before the bracket reveal, the two questions were (1) how many BE teams; and (2) which one of SJU, Hall, Providence. I did not see any way the committee could legitimately take fewer than 4 BE teams - ESPECIALLY if it took 4 ACC teams. If it took at least as many BE teams as ACC teams and we weren't one of the BE teams it took because it preferred the Hall or Providence I could have accepted that.

What I cannot accept is 5 ACC schools vs 3 BE schools when the BE is clearly the superior basketball conference. But we have to put it in context: this is just the latest chapter in a 25 year history of the ACC trying to screw the Big East.

The short version is that the last 40 years can be divded into two 20-year periods. The first 20 years is the BE minding its own business, adding football halfway through.

The second 20 years is the ACC deciding to expand in football by taking BE teams, BE replaces them, ACC decides to expand again by taking more BE teams, that (along with a lot of other stuff I left out, that period around 2010-2011 is intricate) propelling the full football collapse of the Big East which then went back to its roots as a basketball and largely Catholic conference.

Then the ACC, not being satisfied that the BE did not actually collapse, decides to move its conference tournament from Greensboro (where it has been forever) to Barclays in 2014 (announced, starting in 2017) in yet another attempt to take BE territory.

As a Big East lifer, I have no love for the ACC. And I am going to enjoy watching it collapse when Clemson and FSU go to the SEC – the SEC, Big 12 and Big 10 are going to do to the ACC exactly what it did to the BE. It’s just a matter of time. Live by football dollars, die by football dollars.

Last edited:
Now for the long version (largely lifted from wikipedia, with subtitles and some editing by me) for those who are interested:

1979: Big East Founded: BC, UConn, Georgetown, Providence, SJU, Seton Hall, Syracuse
The Big East was founded in 1979 by seven universities in the Northeastern United StatesBoston College (BC), Connecticut (UConn), Georgetown, Providence, St. John's, Seton Hall, and Syracuse.[3] The seven founders consisted of five Catholic institutions, one private but secular university (Syracuse) and one public school (UConn). More significantly, only two of these schools—BC and Syracuse—then played football in the top-level Division I-A (now Division I FBS).

1982: Big East Grows: Add Villanova and Pitt (the Original Big East)
Another Catholic school, Villanova, joined the following year,[4] and Pittsburgh (Pitt), a quasi-public institution, joined in 1982.[5] At the time of their respective arrivals in the Big East, both Villanova and Pitt had I-A football programs, but Villanova dropped football after the 1980 season, only reinstating the sport in 1985 at the Division III level and upgrading to Division I-AA (now Division I FCS) in 1987.[6]

1991: Big East Adds Football: Add Miami, Rutgers, Temple, Va Tech, West Va, Notre Dame
About a decade after the conference's founding, the members decided to launch a I-A football conference. To that end, the Big East added five schools with I-A programs—Miami as a full member, and Rutgers (which had turned down an invitation to become a charter member of the conference),[3] Temple, Virginia Tech and West Virginia as football-only members. Big East football began play in 1991.[7] In 1995, West Virginia and Rutgers became full members of the conference,[8] and Notre Dame, with an independent football program, joined as a full but non-football member.

2003-2005: ACC Raids Big East for Football: Exit Miami, BC, Va Tech
In 2003, when the Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) announced plans to expand from 9 to 12 members, which would allow that conference to hold a potentially lucrative football championship game. Miami, BC, and Syracuse were rumored to be the three schools under consideration; however, Syracuse men's basketball coach Jim Boeheim publicly opposed a move.[12] The five other football schools—UConn, Pitt, Rutgers, Virginia Tech, and West Virginia—filed two lawsuits against the proposal, one against the ACC and the other against BC and Miami (Syracuse was not sued because its administration made no public comments on the situation). Due to political pressure applied by Virginia governor Mark Warner on the ACC and the University of Virginia, the ACC decided to invite Virginia Tech instead of Syracuse. Tech immediately accepted, and filed legal papers to remove itself as a plaintiff in the lawsuits. At the last minute, North Carolina State cast a "no" vote on BC, which meant that only Miami and Virginia Tech were invited to join.[13] By mid-October 2003, NC State had reversed its original "no" vote on BC, and the ACC also extended an invitation to that school. Due to timing issues, BC was not able to join the ACC until 2005, a year after their former Big East brethren arrived in the ACC. These moves by the ACC became the trigger for a major wave of conference realignment.

2005: Big East Replaces Miami, BC, Va Tech with Cincy, Louisville, South Florida, DePaul, Marquette (the Big Big East)
Three of the new members were public schools with I-A football programs—Cincinnati, Louisville, and South Florida. The other two, DePaul and Marquette, were Catholic schools without varsity football programs.

2010: The Second ACC Raid: Exit Pitt and Syracuse
On September 18, Pitt and Syracuse submitted formal applications to join the ACC, which were accepted later that day

2011-2012: The Other Dominos Fall
On October 28, 2011, West Virginia University was officially invited to join the Big 12 and accepted the same day. They aimed to become a full member effective July 1, 2012.[24][25] To enforce this move, the university filed a lawsuit against the Big East, and blamed Marinatto for the departures of Pittsburgh, Syracuse, and TCU (which had actually never joined the Big East)

2012: Louisville, ND, Pitt go to the ACC; Rutgers goes to the Big 10

2013: The Modern Big East
The Big East's seven remaining non-FBS schools, all Catholic institutions—DePaul, Georgetown, Marquette, Providence, St. John's, Seton Hall, and Villanova kicked out Cincinnati and UConn, bought the name of the league, and added Creighton, Butler and Xavier

2014: The ACC Announces that it's Moving its Tournament to Barclays in 2017

2020: The Return of UConn (from the AAC)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010–2013_Big_East_Conference_realignment

The reason the BE only got three teams in is because the NCAA and its constituents are agenda driven scum. The rest of these justifications may have merit, but ultimately, it boils down to them being scumbags.

Go Johnnies.

... and Clemson is suing the ACC so it can get out of its buyout and leave for a better football conference, probably the SEC. I have no doubt that FSU will follow in short order.

Like I said, live by football, die by football. The world is round, and the ACC is about to find that out.

Big East can just sit back and laugh.

(Thought it wouldn't surprise me if those UConn d-bags try (again) to get themselves into the ACC once the ACC loses teams to the SEC and maybe the Big 12.)

Early prediction:
Clemson, FSU and Miami to the SEC
Pitt, Va Tech and Louisville to the Big 12
ND could stay or could return to the BE for all sports but football
UConn tries to make its way to the ACC

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHA. Gonna love watching the ACC burn baby burn

Early prediction:
Clemson, FSU and Miami to the SEC
Pitt, Va Tech and Louisville to the Big 12
ND could stay or could return to the BE for all sports but football
UConn tries to make its way to the ACC

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHA. Gonna love watching the ACC burn baby burn
It sounds like it's going to be:
UNC, Clemson to SEC
Miami, FSU, ND* to Big 10. *unclear to me if they're shredding their football independence for full conference affiliation with B10, but sounds like they're going B10 for football

Funny thing is -- do you think ACC even chooses UCONN over Tulane, South Florida, Oregon State, Washington State, East Carolina, or Memphis? By the time their name is called, the ACC will be the AAC. 😂

... and Clemson is suing the ACC so it can get out of its buyout and leave for a better football conference, probably the SEC. I have no doubt that FSU will follow in short order.

Like I said, live by football, die by football. The world is round, and the ACC is about to find that out.

(Thought it wouldn't surprise me if those UConn d-bags try (again) to get themselves into the ACC once the ACC loses teams to the SEC and maybe the Big 12.)
We see all of this very much the same. My only difference is when it comes to UConn is it would only surprise me if they didn't try to bolt again.

Florida state is already suing them

Geographically and culturally, ND fits better with the Big East than the ACC, and they are basically an independent in football anyway. I didn't get them leaving except they probably thought the BE would not survive.

The original member BE teams that left (one many years after the other) SYR and BC clearly did it for the almighty dollar.

In the case of BC they cried academics, such bullshit.

In the case of SYR they left with Boeheim kicking and screaming about having to go to a conference tournament in Greensboro instead of NYC, that is probably why they attempted MSG but settled on Barclay's. How did that work out? Not great, it's never been back and the B1G hasn't been back to the Garden either not liking to move the tournament early for ours.

ACC stands for Assholes Athletic Conference.

Chase your FB dollars and suck on an ear of corn.

Geographically and culturally, ND fits better with the Big East than the ACC, and they are basically an independent in football anyway. I didn't get them leaving except they probably thought the BE would not survive.

The original member BE teams that left (one many years after the other) SYR and BC clearly did it for the almighty dollar.

In the case of BC they cried academics, such bullshit.

In the case of SYR they left with Boeheim kicking and screaming about having to go to a conference tournament in Greensboro instead of NYC, that is probably why they attempted MSG but settled on Barclay's. How did that work out? Not great, it's never been back and the B1G hasn't been back to the Garden either not liking to move the tournament early for ours.

ACC stands for Assholes Athletic Conference.

Chase your FB dollars and suck on an ear of corn.
and we have a contestant in the "hates the ACC as much as LMF does" competition (y)

Back