Tenured And Powerless

For a moment, I thought this was a college basketball forum!

It's not.. perhaps you'll notice that you are responding to a thread in the "players lounge" or general discussion category.

I appreciate the articles you post JSJ, especially those about the status of higher education. I may not always comment on them, but the links you suggest are typically very thought provoking, and on several occasions I've forwarded them to friends and family.

Excellent article. Thank you jerseyshorejohnny. 

I've been teaching in college over the same time span as the author and have seen what once was a profession being reduced to the equivalent of being a high school teacher.

How true:

"...schools have gone from being driven by faculty ideas and concerns to being “controlled by administrators and staffers who make the rules and set more and more of the priorities of academic life...”

"...Worse still, these administrators have little to do, leading them to create make-work projects, such as retreats, conferences, and “strategic planning” meetings. “Little would be lost,” Ginsberg writes, “if four out of five staff meetings (they could be selected at random), were canceled tomorrow.”

Any recent graduate of a university will recognize the products of these meetings: Mandatory sensitivity trainings, offices of “campus life,” special staff-led seminars, or dormitory-based programming seeking to “enhance cultural understanding....” 

Back