St. Johns should bring back football

Its sickens me that the largest catholic uinversity in america can't field a div1 football team

If llittle old ND in southbend of no where did why cant stj's in nycity??

Fordham was a div1 powerhouse many moons ago soo it can be done.

Hofstra dropping FB leaves the door open for the Johnnys to make a comeback what do you say?

they built enough dorms

they could play at citfield 

You come up with the $50 mil, minimum, that it takes just to start a football program and then start asking these questions.

The university has no history or tradition for a football program, and I don't know what purpose it would serve, and would draw substantial resources away from academics and the already-existing sports program, which with BB, baseball, soccer etc. is pretty darn good. 

St. John's doesn't need football at all. When they did have football, who was on the schedule? Stony Brook? Sacred Heart? Holy Cross? Basketball, baseball, and soccer (which I hate) is more than enough. 

Think we touched on this before too... To field a D 1-A football program, you need a stadium that houses at least 15-20 thousand fans somewhere in there. Weight lifting and practice facilities etc... where the heck on the queens campus can you stuff any of this stuff? Where would we get the money? If the basketball program puts in a good streak of ncaa tourney bids, maybe we can start to talk seriously about Footbal for SJU.

Deac

First and foremost, you need to be able to pay about $2.5 mil a year for scholarships. Then whatever it costs to add about three women's programs for Title IX purposes. To say nothing of what has already been mentioned.

The last thing we need is football at st. john's. even football programs that people consider successful (syracuse, etc.) lose money. Most of n.y.c. has little or no interest in college football. 

There is just no way SJ will ever bring back football. We have so clearly made our brand about basketball that it won't ever change. We barely even get people at our basketball games as a nationally known brand...where are the 20k people coming from for football? Don't get me wrong I'd love to see a SJ football team 1-A but it would take so much money, so much support, so much time, etc. If we had like 40k students then it might work. But we are a relatively small university. It's a cool pipe dream but nothing more. By the way, while there wouldn't be room for fields in Queens, the Oakdale (Long Island) campus sits on a former estate and has PLENTY of room for fields and facilities if anything were to happen and they could get an SJU bus back and forth from Queens and Oakdale. Crazy I know lol but fun to think about.

Back