St. John's Hub (or lack thereof) Outside Campus

FriendofJohnnie

Something I have thought about recently. I am a double alum within the last decade and I know some posters here are older and younger. Was wondering thoughts. When I arrived on campus freshman year, Dante's was still there as was Sly Fox. It appeared that what used to be a diner across the street had just closed. There was a book store across the street. Then within a span of 5 years and through today, all that is gone and it just seems to be a dying community hub around campus except the classics like Regina's, Acquista's and Vincenzo's still remain.

What happened? And what could be done to change that? It seems to be an area that is oozing with potential. The johnnies are cool again with Rick Pitino, there are many students etc. Would be nice to have a cooller hub around again for students and alumni to enjoy the St. John's culture. It will never be a "college town" but at least have some energy.

Thoughts?

Something I have thought about recently. I am a double alum within the last decade and I know some posters here are older and younger. Was wondering thoughts. When I arrived on campus freshman year, Dante's was still there as was Sly Fox. It appeared that what used to be a diner across the street had just closed. There was a book store across the street. Then within a span of 5 years and through today, all that is gone and it just seems to be a dying community hub around campus except the classics like Regina's, Acquista's and Vincenzo's still remain.

What happened? And what could be done to change that? It seems to be an area that is oozing with potential. The johnnies are cool again with Rick Pitino, there are many students etc. Would be nice to have a cooller hub around again for students and alumni to enjoy the St. John's culture. It will never be a "college town" but at least have some energy.

Thoughts?
Overall I think it is things change. It’s not boarded up buildings. Sly Fox is now a Japanese steakhouse that does well. Dante’s had been there forever and I would think at best the principals retired. And diners all over in Queens and Nassau County have closed in the last ten years as they are becoming an outdated model.

I do think the area right by the school is ripe for a sports bar/pub, especially with dorms on campus now.

Overall I think it is things change. It’s not boarded up buildings. Sly Fox is now a Japanese steakhouse that does well. Dante’s had been there forever and I would think at best the principals retired. And diners all over in Queens and Nassau County have closed in the last ten years as they are becoming an outdated model.

I do think the area right by the school is ripe for a sports bar/pub, especially with dorms on campus now.
Sounds like a business opportunity...Savior Rick's Saloon.

Back