St. John's Hires Former All- American Duke Lax Player As New Coach

Starting well. Sju got a commit from Maryland transfer and Postgrad at IMG, Jack Shirtzer. Shirtzer, a Li native, was ranked a 5-star recruit and in the top 10 players in the country, #2 defenseman in the country in the 20’ class. He reclassified to the 21’ class and now transferring to SJU. Top notch recruit who will imo probably step in to the LSM position. Monstrous pickup as one of the tops at his position coming out of Hs. He’s a former attackman and leftie so also a danger to score from LSM spot. I believe he might be coming off injury last year but extremely talented nonetheless.

Last edited:
Starting well. Sju got a commit from Maryland transfer and Postgrad at IMG, Jack Shirtzer. Shirtzer, a Li native, was ranked a 5-star recruit and in the top 10 players in the country, #2 defenseman in the country in the 20’ class. He reclassified to the 21’ class and now transferring to SJU. Top notch recruit who will imo probably step in to the LSM position. Monstrous pickup as one of the tops at his position coming out of Hs. He’s a former attackman and leftie so also a danger to score from LSM spot. I believe he might be coming off injury last year but extremely talented nonetheless.

Just curious, why would he go from being a top defenseman to playing Middie?

LSM is a long-stick midfielder. It is mainly a defensive position that is used to guard the offense’s best midfielder. It is still a defensive position, just requires a lot of speed and stick skills because they have to transition into the offense on takeaways and run the full field. It’s often a team’s more skilled and fast defender. Fwiw it looks like he played LSM in high school from his highlights.

LSM is a long-stick midfielder. It is mainly a defensive position that is used to guard the offense’s best midfielder. It is still a defensive position, just requires a lot of speed and stick skills because they have to transition into the offense on takeaways and run the full field. It’s often a team’s more skilled and fast defender. Fwiw it looks like he played LSM in high school from his highlights.
Thanks, I’m learning about Lax on the go as all three of my grandkids play. My oldest, a sophomore in HS is 6’1” and plays starting left side Attack for his HS varsity for a ranked Va. HS. His AAU team is pretty good too and just beat a very good Long Island squad in a recent tournament. His dad played Lax for Cold Spring Harbor in HS so they are all info it while I’m still trying to figure it out. 😂👍

1663511232637.jpeg

No one in my neighborhood grew up with a Lacrosse stick. I had friends that played D1 tennis and soccer but that was exotic as it gets. Over the years I have watched the Lacrosse playoffs on occasion and it's an interesting game. Now my kids go to Delaware and Maryland. Maryland won the National Championship and Delaware upset 2nd ranked Georgetown before they lost a close game against runner up Cornell. I could use a course on the game because I still don't get everything. It would be great to see St. John's rebuild their program and maybe I will figure it out soon.

No one in my neighborhood grew up with a Lacrosse stick. I had friends that played D1 tennis and soccer but that was exotic as it gets. Over the years I have watched the Lacrosse playoffs on occasion and it's an interesting game. Now my kids go to Delaware and Maryland. Maryland won the National Championship and Delaware upset 2nd ranked Georgetown before they lost a close game against runner up Cornell. I could use a course on the game because I still don't get everything. It would be great to see St. John's rebuild their program and maybe I will figure it out soon.
It’s not as exotic as you think. I grew up in Long Island and it’s basically a native sport. Oldest matchup in the country is the Woodstick classic between Garden City and Manhasset from the 1800’s pretty much bordering on NYC.

It’s not as exotic as you think. I grew up in Long Island and it’s basically a native sport. Oldest matchup in the country is the Woodstick classic between Garden City and Manhasset from the 1800’s pretty much bordering on NYC.
It wasn't meant to be a slight. I now know how huge it is in Long Island and much of the East Coast. In the 70's through the mid 80's no one I new in Queens played it. The first time I watched it was when my brothers friend went to Cornell and he talked about it all the time. I have followed it periodically since.

Back