Sports discussion (from BE thread)

Moose

• St. John's-Butler on Tuesday night had the benefit of NASCAR's Clash at Daytona (1.6 million viewers) as a lead-in on FS1, but the game averaged only 132,000 viewers from around 9:00-11:30pm, per SBJ's Austin Karp. That's down 10% from the Big East men's basketball average in February 2020 on FS1 (146,000).

Funny, I tuned in 5-10 min too early and saw the end of that NASCAR show and couldn't wait for it to finish. Now living in a town in NC with the nickname "Race City USA" and big name race teams, supporting businesses etc.. I can't stand NASCAR. 

As for the 132k for a 9pm game vs. boring Butler,  seems pretty good to me if overall league avg is 146k if that includes weekends.

Funny... maybe 5-10k Johnnies fans, some # of Butler but majority of rest are probably general bball fans without dog in fight, channel flippers, or NASCAR fans who fell asleep with TV on....lol

Last edited:
Moose" post=419227 said:
  • St. John's-Butler on Tuesday night had the benefit of NASCAR's Clash at Daytona (1.6 million viewers) as a lead-in on FS1, but the game averaged only 132,000 viewers from around 9:00-11:30pm, per SBJ's Austin Karp. That's down 10% from the Big East men's basketball average in February 2020 on FS1 (146,000).

I don't understand car racing.  How many left turns can you watch?  It seems like it's all about hoping there's a fiery wreck, which isn't cool.

But then, I don't understand soccer either.  It would be good as background noise to take a nap to, but they manage to interrupt it about once or twice a game by some guy yelling GOOOAAAALLLLL.  So overall, useless "sport."

NASCAR fans are different but , falls into the category of Horse Racing to a extent . You can split hairs to both . Are they Sports or Entertainment ? Kind of like Figure Skating . Is it a Sport or not ? Figure Skating reminds me of Ballet and we don't call Ballet a Sport .   Soccer is  a little bewildering to American fans .  Youth Soccer in the USA is probably as big as Little League Baseball , maybe bigger .  We all like to see our Children , Grandchildren play it but, our interests wane as the Players get older . College Soccer is sparsely watched in comparison to other sports . At the Pro Level the game doesn't generate enough scoring to rival Football , Baseball, Basketball in America . And , it's not a US Original sport .  There is a lot more strategy to Pro Soccer that escapes most of us . It's kind of a Chess match , waiting for a opponent to make a mistake or , a superlative Individual effort . But , at the World Class level , scoring is difficult . 

SLYFOXX1968 wrote:
NASCAR fans are different but , falls into the category of Horse Racing to a extent . You can split hairs to both . Are they Sports or Entertainment ? Kind of like Figure Skating . Is it a Sport or not ? Figure Skating reminds me of Ballet and we don't call Ballet a Sport .   Soccer is  a little bewildering to American fans .  Youth Soccer in the USA is probably as big as Little League Baseball , maybe bigger .  We all like to see our Children , Grandchildren play it but, our interests wane as the Players get older . College Soccer is sparsely watched in comparison to other sports . At the Pro Level the game doesn't generate enough scoring to rival Football , Baseball, Basketball in America . And , it's not a US Original sport .  There is a lot more strategy to Pro Soccer that escapes most of us . It's kind of a Chess match , waiting for a opponent to make a mistake or , a superlative Individual effort . But , at the World Class level , scoring is difficult . 

Sly agree with much of your post but not the part about horseracing. A sport all the way (known as the sport of kings), the horses are incredible athletes, and watching it has given me excitement over the years rivaling anything I've experienced watching most other sports; plus it is so much fun trying (emphasis on trying) to handicap the race and pick a winner lol!  It's number 4 on my list of favorite sports, after basketball, tennis, baseball (and it's pretty close to baseball).    

Last edited:
lawmanfan" post=419275 said:
Moose" post=419227 said:

I don't understand car racing.  How many left turns can you watch?  It seems like it's all about hoping there's a fiery wreck, which isn't cool.

But then, I don't understand soccer either.  It would be good as background noise to take a nap to, but they manage to interrupt it about once or twice a game by some guy yelling GOOOAAAALLLLL.  So overall, useless "sport."

I wasn't a soccer fan until about 8 yrs ago.  Like you I thought it was boring, and many games can be, but once you get the hang of it the game becomes really interesting.  There is a lot of strategy, moments of individual  technical skill and often intricate team play.  Being raised on baseball and football, soccer seems like hockey without the skates, checking and fights.  It's not called the beautiful game for nothing.

Now auto racing, NASCAR can usually be boiled down to the last two or three laps.  It's amazing how often a "mystery" yellow flag gets tossed and then everyone bunches up for the restart and all hell potentially breaks loose.  Formula One is over much trickier courses but inevitably it comes down to whoever starts the race first.  They then lead a parade around a tight course with very limited opportunities to pass and a bunch of English commentators tell you how the cars are technologicl masterpieces and the drivers have super human reflexes.  If you really want to see auto racing check out world rally.  Those guys drive like barely restrained lunatics over a course that is varied and dangerous, there's some real skill and cojones involved.

NCJohnny , I love Horse Racing as Entertainment but , would you watch it if your couldn't bet on the outcome ?  On the other hand , as a feeble attempt to stay on a basketball  topic , I love to watch College Basketball and St John's in particular and don't need to bet on the outcomes to enjoy it .  As a aside , would you consider Gray Hound Racing a Sport ? I am not trying to devalue your views as I think them  worthy . Just a interesting discussion  question . 

SLYFOXX1968 wrote:
NCJohnny , I love Horse Racing as Entertainment but , would you watch it if your couldn't bet on the outcome ?  On the other hand , as a feeble attempt to stay on a basketball  topic , I love to watch College Basketball and St John's in particular and don't need to bet on the outcomes to enjoy it .  As a aside , would you consider Gray Hound Racing a Sport ? I am not trying to devalue your views as I think them  worthy . Just a interesting discussion  question . 

Sly, want to get back to the topic as requested by LFM, so let's end our discussion here. To answer your question I would and do oftern watch horseracing (all the triple crown prep races, Breeders cup races) even when I am not betting albeit I usually make a mental bet lol. 

It would be a good idea to change the title of this thread.
 I'm glad you moved it.

I get why people don't like soccer.  I use to be the same way until about 20 years ago.  My kids starting playing at 4 and as they go older, some how I became involved with the soccer club and the rest is history.  Coaching, Club Officer, League Official you name it.  Started to watch pro games and learned to love the game which is a lot easier when one kid stays with it and was pretty good at it.  As someone said, in ways its like chess.

The there is Lacross.  Growing up in Queens I had no idea what that game was until I got to St. John's and still knew nothing about.  Then my boys get involved and now I am a Lacross fan.  Go figure.

Back