SJU LAX moving forward

MCNPA

2023 $upporter
Cragg needs to make an honest assessment of head coach Jason Miller after this season. I have barely followed this team. We’ve been atrocious for so long and not gotten an iota better. Worst defense in ncaa lacrosse for better part of a decade. Awful results yearly. Teams are dropping near 20 points on SJU defenses near every game for years now.

I’m hoping Cragg doesn’t roll with the status quo any more. For all intents and purposes I think Miller is a stand-up coach and has all the right things in mind. I like the guy and what I’ve seen from him. It’s just obvious he isn’t going to get the program to progress and has been given tons of time.

The lax program also needs more facilities support from the athletic program much the way soccer got support. It’s time for that as well. Time to start moving this thing forward again. Just my two cents.

Last edited:
Finished this season at 4-10. Miller has been at SJU for almost a decade and a half. Methinks it’s time to move on. Hopefully Cragg expects to take the lax program in a different direction.

SJU should have made a run at Deluca before he joined Delaware. I’m not sure he would have had interest, but he got a very raw deal at Cornell.

[quote="gman" post=348204]SJU should have made a run at Deluca before he joined Delaware. I’m not sure he would have had interest, but he got a very raw deal at Cornell.[/quote]

Agree. Something still needs to be done. SJU amassed an amazing 4 wins this entire season. Miller’s tenure has gone waaay too long for a coach with such a poor record. Not sure how they justify keeping him around any more. The program is going nowhere under Miller. I have to look back but he’s had maybe 1 or 2 winning seasons in 13 years. I’ve lost track because the program has been hopeless. I’m not saying there’s a magic salve here, but other programs have built entire new D1 programs and surpassed us quickly.

Last edited:
My sense is that Cragg won't tolerate coaches whose teams do not perform reasonably well. It wouldn't shock me to see him fire Miller. If Miller is retained for another year, I have to believe that he will be on a short leash.

[quote="MarkRedman" post=350147]My sense is that Cragg won't tolerate coaches whose teams do not perform reasonably well. It wouldn't shock me to see him fire Miller. If Miller is retained for another year, I have to believe that he will be on a short leash.[/quote]
Don't follow lacrosse at all but from his records the short lease should come with a choker collar1 :lol:

I don't follow lacrosse and didn't realize there were only 73 D1 teams. I knew it was low because of the geographic concentration heavy in Mid Atlantic, northeast etc. and more heavily played by private schools.

My co-worker played for SJU lacrosse within the last 10 years. He said the team was lousy this year. Noted that recruiting is always tough because there are a lot of partial scholarships only, and depends on kids financial situation if $ needed or if family can afford paying most/full sticker price at the elite schools.

Last edited:
[quote="RedStormNC" post=350244]I don't follow lacrosse and didn't realize there were only 73 D1 teams. I knew it was low because of the geographic concentration heavy in Mid Atlantic, northeast etc. and more heavily played by private schools.

My co-worker played for SJU lacrosse within the last 10 years. He said the team was lousy this year. Noted that recruiting is tough because there are a lot of partial scholarships only, and depends on kids financial situation if $ needed or if family can afford paying most/full sticker price at the elite schools.[/quote]

Obviously, the scholarship issue is a problem for every school that plays lacrosse
Only the real studs get a full ride and that's pretty uncommon

Last edited:
Back