Rumors of Gonzaga and Big East Schools Joining Big12

Curious if anyone has heard any of these rumors of Gonzaga and some Big East schools joining the Big 12 for basketball & Olympic sports, to expand into new markets and make travel easier for those sports. Yormark (the new commissioner) seems pretty aggressive. Rumor also is that would set up for trying to lure PAC schools (AZ/ASU/Utah/CU) to join for all sports as well, and have divisions. Has anyone on here heard of this, or have any thoughts on this?

Which of our schools would be most attracted by a Midwest-centered conference? Creighton, Marquette, Xavier and DePaul come to mind. Everyone chasing the best deal...from conferences to universities to individual 17-18yo recruits...what is the best deal for me?

B12 Commissioner has stated they are open for business, seems PAC12 is really vulnerable right now. Up until now, basketball schools have been mostly ignored. Its football driving the re-alignments. Would love to have Gonzaga in the Big East, maybe the B12 rumors push BE to act sooner rather than later. Bottom line it is a changing landscape, things can change very quickly and Big East needs to be prepared for it.

Given the lesson the Big East “basketball only” schools learned with the 2012 divorce from the football schools I would be surprised if Marquette, Creighton or Xavier would be tempted by the promises from the Big 12.

Last edited:
We have to make a move sooner than later as a conference. If we don't, and the Creighton's and Xaviers look to the B12 thats a wrap. We will be Iona.

Get Gonzaga, at any cost at this point.

We have to make a move sooner than later as a conference. If we don't, and the Creighton's and Xaviers look to the B12 thats a wrap. We will be Iona.

Get Gonzaga, at any cost at this point.
Maybe, but this all going to be a domino effect. If the BE gets raided then we go out and pillage the aac and a10.

Is the B12 really looking for basketball only schools? I thought football dominated any of these discussions

I believe this topic of Big East basketball only teams exiting the Big East for the B12 is mere speculation.

If I am wrong show me any credible source that says any “basketball only” Big East school is even entertaining the thought of jumping to the B12.

Note i said “basketball only“ school. I don’t doubt that Yukon, once already passed over by the B12 would jump to the B12 if opportunity presented itself. However, if Yukon jumps before the conclusion of its 6th year of membership then a $30M Exit Fee becomes immediately due and payable to the Big East.

I believe this topic of Big East basketball only teams exiting the Big East for the B12 is mere speculation.

If I am wrong show me any credible source that says any “basketball only” Big East school is even entertaining the thought of jumping to the B12.

Note i said “basketball only“ school. I don’t doubt that Yukon, once already passed over by the B12 would jump to the B12 if opportunity presented itself. However, if Yukon jumps before the conclusion of its 6th year of membership then a $30M Exit Fee becomes immediately due and payable to the Big East.
I agree that UCONN wants to join a power conference. I would think the ACC makes more sense geographically then the Big 12 but either is possible. It's hard to be successful as an independent

I agree that UCONN wants to join a power conference. I would think the ACC makes more sense geographically then the Big 12 but either is possible.

The ACC is frozen in time with its Grant of Rights Agreement which expires in 2035.

As things stand now you can anticipate a shakeup in the ACC to occur around 2035 when a number of ACC teams exit to join the Big Ten and SEC which could free up a spot for Yukon to move to the watered down ACC.

Back