RIP Willie Mays

No superstar ever played with more flair. The famed basket catch, wore his cap 1/2 size too small so it would fly off his head as he chased fly balls at top speed or while to unleash a powerful throw. Looked great even striking out with monstrous cuts. Could slide into throws deliberately and kick the ball into the outfield. Even past his prime once scored from first on a single (by Frank Johnson I believe) in extra innings to win the game. 6% body fat without roids.

To me when a player is THAT good, arguments as to who is the best pale. There is a purity to that level of greatness whereby comparisons to players similarly great don't matter.

All time great. I was one of a few that heard Willie speak in person at Shea at Willie Mays night in Sept 1973 and again in Sf at Barry Bonds Day in 2018.

Sad day for all fans of the game.

No superstar ever played with more flair. The famed basket catch, wore his cap 1/2 size too small so it would fly off his head as he chased fly balls at top speed or while to unleash a powerful throw. Looked great even striking out with monstrous cuts. Could slide into throws deliberately and kick the ball into the outfield. Even past his prime once scored from first on a single (by Frank Johnson I believe) in extra innings to win the game. 6% body fat without roids.

To me when a player is THAT good, arguments as to who is the best pale. There is a purity to that level of greatness whereby comparisons to players similarly great don't matter.

All time great. I was one of a few that heard Willie speak in person at Shea at Willie Mays night in Sept 1973 and again in Sf at Barry Bonds Day in 2018.

Sad day for all fans of the game.
Not sure you saw my post on the previous page, Beast. He was my idol. The first major league game I ever saw was the last game Mays played in the Polo Grounds as a NY Giant...Sep 29, 1957.

Willie was my idol...and probably the best all-around ballplayer to ever play the game...and the most exciting! I had the privilege of playing in a game with him at Giants Fantasy Camp. I have a ball signed by both Mays and Leo Durocher, his first manager. Those who never saw him play in his prime missed a unique combination of grace and talent.
Great picture, but why does Mays have a left handed glove on?

I met Mays a long time ago at a baseball show at Hofstra. I told him that as a kid I idolized him as he signed a baseball for me. He didn't say a word but gave me a look as if to say "What's wrong with you?" It could have been a bad day.

In that time frame, a Mays autograph at a show on a ball went for about $30 or $40. Flats (like photos or magazine covers) were generally less, and bats were more.

Mantle and DiMaggio were the rock stars of the autograph circuit. Mantle was so popular he would sell out within minutes of them going on sale. His autograph on a ball went for about $100. He was always sold out before I arrived. DiMaggio was nearly as popular. I think I i paid about $40 for him signing a lithograph of him. This was all circa 1990-93.

Mays went in the next tier, which included Aaron, Seaver, Reggie. In comparison Rizzuto and Ford went about $8 for baseballs at a show in Floral Park. Rizzuto warmly chatted everyone who approached him. Seaver was a jerk.

Since the players were the draw, they kept all or nearly all of the signing proceeds. Mays supposedly was very angry that Mantle could command much more when Mays felt he was at least as good, if not better than Mantle. It was all about supply and demand, and in New York at least Mantle demand was thru the roof.

I collected all of the above, including Berra (who chatted a few minutes and signed a ball for about $25 at the NY Penta hotel.)

Lots of counterfeits in this market so buyer beware.

Back