RIP Willie Mays

A buddy just texted me the news. I really didn’t see him in his prime but remember him playing Canter with Barry Bonds in Right and McCovey at first.

I have vivid memory of the buzz generated when he was traded to the Mets.

RIP.

The first player I ever rooted for. I go back to the days when the Giants, Dodgers and Yankees were here. The argument always went, "who's better, Mays, Snider or Mantle. I'm still a Giants fan. Heck, I even saw Mays play shortstop once against the Mets. This is probably the saddest sports loss I ever experienced.

I saw Willie when I was young at the Polo Grounds and he was one of the truly great players who loved the game and its fans as seen in the video of him playing stickball with some local kids. While most remember Willie, the batter, he was one of the greatest fielders. his catch off a Vic Wertz fly in game 1 of 1954 World series is a thing of beauty. Using the basket catch over the shoulder in deep Center field was great in itself but the throw that he made was unreal. Larry Doby tagged up from second and really thought he would be able to score on a Sac Fly but Mays got it in to second base, holding Doby at third and the guy on first tagged but went back to first as Willie had made a great throw to second. Look for the play--you can find it on mlb.com

Best player of all time according to my uncle. Glad he wore a Mets uniform for a bit.
That he finished as a Met was due to Joan Payson who owned the Mets and earlier was a part owner of the NY Giants who was against the move. Joan thought the world of Willie and was rumored to have vowed to bring him back as soon as she could

Willie was my idol...and probably the best all-around ballplayer to ever play the game...and the most exciting! I had the privilege of playing in a game with him at Giants Fantasy Camp. I have a ball signed by both Mays and Leo Durocher, his first manager. Those who never saw him play in his prime missed a unique combination of grace and talent.

Attachments

• IMG_2099 2.jpg
    IMG_2099 2.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 14
Back