RIP Mike Bossy

gregbodkin

Mike Bossy, the most prolific scorer in Islanders history passed away. I remember watching him play and the excitement he always brought to the game.
I also had the good fortune of meeting him in person several times and he was a truly humble gentleman.
Thank you for all the entertainment that you brought and the respect and honor you gave to the game. You will be sorely missed.
RIP.

Mike Bossy, the most prolific scorer in Islanders history passed away. I remember watching him play and the excitement he always brought to the game.
I also had the good fortune of meeting him in person several times and he was a truly humble gentleman.
Thank you for all the entertainment that you brought and the respect and honor you gave to the game. You will be sorely missed.
RIP.
It was really sad to see that. Gillies and Bossy in just a few months. Great days for hockey back then with the Islanders.

RIP.
Agreed 100% Greg. I’m a huge Islanders fan as well and I also met Bossy once at the old barn. He was , like you said, a true gentleman. Prayers and condolences to the Bossy family. What sniper he was!!!!

Gillies, Jean Potvin, and now Bossy all gone too early.
It has been a tough few months for us Isles fans who grew up with the dynasty team.
That was the most fun I had rooting for a team. It was unique in that the majority of the team was comprised of the same core and they were out and about in restaurants, and grocery stores, etc. with everyone else.
It was a once in a lifetime and Bossy was an enormous part. Classy and brilliant on the ice, he was equally the same person.

Sad day for Islander nation RIP. Mike was a tremendous goal scorer despite being slight of build and playing in an era where it was basically legal to pound the heck out of such a goal scorer which means he was also tough as heck.

where did you hear this news?
How terrible. We grew up in the same home town of Chomedey, Laval, Quebec and he lived just a few blocks from me and we are similar in age. At a very young age we all knew he was destined for stardom we just did not know how great he would be.
Post career I met him on occasion in Montreal as we had friends in common.
May he Rest In Peace.

If not for the chronic back issue which forced him to retire at 30, there is no telling how many more goals he would have scored.
But of all the brilliant moments, like the 50/50, the goal that stands out the most was the one scored against Vancouver in game four of the Stanley Cup finals

https://www.google.com/search?q=mik...ate=ive&vld=cid:cf36db3a,vid:tUPwJ6hWjIM,st:0
Greatest goal scorer I've ever seen. And the quickest release I've ever seen. If I had to bet my life on a single goal, I'd want Bossy taking the shot.

He always said he wanted to retire early, but if the back didn't give out and he stuck around until 34 or so he would have scored more than 800 goals. I think he'd be sitting second on the all-time list right now.

Back