RIP Gayle Sayers

Arguably the best running back of all time. Knee injury cut his career short but his side ways gliding cuts were spectacular.

[quote="bamafan" post=398747]Arguably the best running back of all time. Knee injury cut his career short but his side ways gliding cuts were spectacular.[/quote]

He was an all time great RB, and from what I've heard, an even better person.

Its an interesting debate about who is the all time best. I tend to discount players from the 40's, 50's and 60's since the game has changed so much from a size/speed perspective, and they were before my time.
Sure Jim Brown would be a very good back in today's NFL, but he wouldn't be the biggest and fastest guy on the field anymore so I doubt he'd have been the unstoppable machine he was in his era.

For my money, the two best backs I've seen were Barry Sanders and Earl Campbell. I'd put Walter Peyton 3rd.

[quote="bamafan" post=398747]Arguably the best running back of all time. Knee injury cut his career short but his side ways gliding cuts were spectacular.[/quote]

Another guy who's career was derailed by injuries was Billy Sims. He could have been an all time great as well, but only played something like 50 games.

Would loved to have seen Bo Jackson play football full time for a decade. Might have been the most physically gifted player at that position that I ever saw.

Notwithstanding his homicidal proclivities, OJ right up there with the all time greats

[quote="SJUFAN2" post=398751][quote="bamafan" post=398747]Arguably the best running back of all time. Knee injury cut his career short but his side ways gliding cuts were spectacular.[/quote]

Its an interesting debate about who is the all time best. I tend to discount players from the 40's, 50's and 60's since the game has changed so much from a size/speed perspective, and they were before my time.
Sure Jim Brown would be a very good back in today's NFL, but he wouldn't be the biggest and fastest guy on the field anymore so I doubt he'd have been the unstoppable machine he was in his era.

For my money, the two best backs I've seen were Barry Sanders and Earl Campbell. I'd put Walter Peyton 3rd.[/quote]

Imagine Jim Brown with modern training techniques, or WIllie MAys for that matter?

Of course, Jim Brown is also thought of as the greatest lacrosse player ever.

A few weeks ago Lou Brock died, As a player he hit perhaps the longest home run ever at the time at Wrigley Field, 460 feet. Today, 460 home runs are more common, and McGwuire was hitting 550 foot blasts.. Doesn't diminish the feat at the time because of, you know.

Last edited:
[quote="SJUFAN2" post=398751][quote="bamafan" post=398747]Arguably the best running back of all time. Knee injury cut his career short but his side ways gliding cuts were spectacular.[/quote]

For my money, the two best backs I've seen were Barry Sanders and Earl Campbell. I'd put Walter Peyton 3rd.[/quote] I would def go with Barry and there was no stopping him in Tecmo Bowl either.

[quote="Monte" post=398756]Notwithstanding his homicidal proclivities, OJ right up there with the all time greats[/quote]
Yes, he made great cuts too unfortunately. :(

Last edited:
Back