RIP Brooks Robinson

Still remember that great O's team from the late 60s - Brooks & Frank Robinson, Paul Blair, Boog Powell, Davey Johnson, Mark Bellinger and that great staff of Palmer, McNally & Cuellar. What a team. R.I.P. Brooks. Those were the days when starters pitched like starters.
Don't forget Dobson. Not a great pitcher but a member of a staff that achieved something never done before, and will undoubtably never be done again.

Don't forget Dobson. Not a great pitcher but a member of a staff that achieved something never done before, and will undoubtably never be done again.
I was going from memory (not what it used to be) and knew there was a fourth starter but couldn't think of his name off the top of my head or the other outfielder.

I still have nightmares about Earl Weaver delaying a game arguing a call and then the rains came, and the Yanks lost a win.

Arguably the one player above all whose name was synonymous with incredible defensive play. Regardless of position, any player at any level who made an impossible stop and subsequent perfect throw of a batted ball would evoke cries of "Brooks!" from teammates, onlookers, even opponents. So good at third that it was easy to overlook his formidable offense in the middle of the Orioles order. DiMaggio may be the quintessential #5 but to me then its Brooks Robinson. With Mark Belanger at short was at least as good as any left side of the infield ever defensively.

Each time one of these all time greats passes another piece of my childhood dies.

Strangely I was in Cooperstown just 2 weeks ago and stopped at his plaque. Also ran into a guy with an sju cap who happened to know me by my screen name here. Cool stuff.

McNally (21), Cuellar, Dobson and Palmer (20 each) were the first and so far only pitchers to win 20 games on a team during the same season. They started 30, 38, 38 and 37 games throwing 224, 292, 282 and 282 innings respectively (McNally missed some games due to an arm injury during the season).

In contrast, Gerrit Cole started 33 games this year (matching his career high for the fourth time), threw 209 innings (3 short of his and career high) and didnā€™t miss a start. Difference between a 4 man rotation going every fourth day with a spot starter thrown in here and there and a five man rotation going every fifth day with an opener/ bullpen game thrown in here and there not to mention pitch counts.

McNally (21), Cuellar, Dobson and Palmer (20 each) were the first and so far only pitchers to win 20 games on a team during the same season. They started 30, 38, 38 and 37 games throwing 224, 292, 282 and 282 innings respectively (McNally missed some games due to an arm injury during the season).

In contrast, Gerrit Cole started 33 games this year (matching his career high for the fourth time), threw 209 innings (3 short of his and career high) and didnā€™t miss a start. Difference between a 4 man rotation going every fourth day with a spot starter thrown in here and there and a five man rotation going every fifth day with an opener/ bullpen game thrown in here and there not to mention pitch counts.
In 1989, at age 42, Nolan Ryan averaged 127 pitches a game with a high of 164, which came five days after he threw 150.

Pitching 13 innings against the Boston Red Sox on June 14, 1974, Ryan threw 235 pitches, striking out 19, walking 10 and getting a no-decision.

Better conditioned? More in shape? Today's pitchers throw 105 and get yanked and half of them have had Tommy John surgery. Instead of learning how to pitch they sign guys who approach 100 mph on every fastball.

Back