Rick Pitino on Pardon My Take

Jack Williams

2023 $upporter

coach Rick goes on one of the biggest sports podcasts in the world. About to listen and wanted to share the think here!

This is a Spotify link but the podcast should be available wherever you listen to podcasts!

Love Rick continuing to put himself out there, only can help with program visibility and recruiting

Note: Rick joins at about the 1 hour mark of the podcast

Starts at 1 hour mark.

Thought it was pretty good. The PMT guys were clearly a little nervous early in the interview. They're usually busting balls, asking more random/funny questions, etc. It was great that he was on.

His last answer about not enjoying the year concerns me. I don't think the landscape is changing in the next 3-5 years.

Starts at 1 hour mark.

Thought it was pretty good. The PMT guys were clearly a little nervous early in the interview. They're usually busting balls, asking more random/funny questions, etc. It was great that he was on.

His last answer about not enjoying the year concerns me. I don't think the landscape is changing in the next 3-5 years.

That was concerning. Pitino has always been one to adjust well to change — I’m counting on that. But he needs to know what to adjust to. If the next two years are as crazy as the last two, I don’t know if he’ll want to deal with it anymore. Particularly if he can’t hold on to players he wants to coach up.

should we put any stock into the comment “looking to bring back maybe three guys”

Wilcher
Brady
Luis
Taylor
Zuby

Who’s gone ?

should we put any stock into the comment “looking to bring back maybe three guys”

Wilcher
Brady
Luis
Taylor
Zuby

Who’s gone ?
He said that???

Wilcher back, Brady & Luis probably not. So that makes it look like Taylor and Zuby back.
Brady only because he's from California and wants more P.T. (slow laterally too).
Luis I don't think likes RP's coaching style.

All just IMO.

Wilcher
Brady
Luis
Taylor
Zuby

Who’s gone ?
Don’t worry. Pitino could just as easily say in his next interview “looking to bring back three to six guys” and all is well.

Pitino needs to go on a rant, and soon, to change the discussion.

Once season is over... Rick is gonna take Sim/Luis/Brady/Glenn/Zuby in the Locker room....throw down a broken Pool cue stick ala Joker... and tell them he's only taking 3 of them for next season... and then he'll close the door....

Never forget some kids choose to go portal right after season for multiple reasons including better NIL $ or new guys they land jeopardizing their playing time. The idea we retain everyone seems contrary to norm now days.
I'm more nervous about Pitino being unhappy with this state of basketball, than any players we may potentially lose to the portal. My gut tells me that losing a Zuby, Wilcher, Dunlap would make him really second guess if college basketball is for him in 2024.

I'm more nervous about Pitino being unhappy with this state of basketball, than any players we may potentially lose to the portal. My gut tells me that losing a Zuby, Wilcher, Dunlap would make him really second guess if college basketball is for him in 2024.
I think Rick says a lot off the cuff, but can’t see him folding his tent due to state of game. Imagine him sitting home without hoops lol. His wife would put out a hit on him or go portal herself. His ego is such that he wants another crack at a Final 4. Also, where else would he have a gig close to home in media capital of the world? NBA would sooner hire Red Holtzman than Rick. 😇

I think Rick says a lot off the cuff, but can’t see him folding his tent due to state of game. Imagine him sitting home without hoops lol. His wife would put out a hit on him or go portal herself. His ego is such that he wants another crack at a Final 4. Also, where else would he have a gig close to home in media capital of the world? NBA would sooner hire Red Holtzman than Rick. 😇
I think no matter what, Rick gives us 3, probably 4 years. But I think he would really enjoy being on TV

Starts at 1 hour mark.

The multiple transfers is what bums him out. He found a few ways to exploit the one free transfer rule and now that’s up in the air. He’s got a point too. Unlimited transfers are too much.

Not sure how they could muck this up so bad...

I like the 1 free (no-sit) transfer... 18yr old kids make mistakes... allow them to correct it if they think a Transfer can fix it...
Let's be real... kids commit to a Coach... not so much the school. If the coach leaves/gets fired- that allows a free transfer.
All others- they have to sit a year.

Per Rumble

Rick Pitino says Seton Hall is very physical.

"They slap at the ball a lot, they make steals, they get offensive rebounds other teams don't get, they're very good with their hands."

Rick Pitino jokes "my players are lovers, they're not tough people, they're just lovers" after being asked whether St. John's needs to be tougher against Seton Hall

Back