Repositioning the Strategic Plan (Aug.) 2011-2013

jerseyshorejohnny

http://www.stjohns.edu/about/strategicplan

Thought this was interesting. Check the REPOSITIONING THE STRATEGIC PLAN (2011-2014)

Think the university deserves a lot of credit for their vision and effort to improve. Can't ask for more than that.

The report, at page 11, recognizes (i) retention rates, ( ii) graduation rates, and (iii) academic rankings as critical measures for assessing the value of a St.John's education"

Because each of those 3 indicators have lagged by any standard it is encouraging that this acknowledgement is an indication that our beloved St.John's will work to improve those indexes.

Great point Otis,

The economic realities are not good for private colleges with the exception of the top tier Ivy’s (Gtown, Stanford's of the world) etc. One could legitimately argue that you will get an equal if not better education at a cheaper public university.

The fact that SJU is acknowledging the reality is great news, maybe the next President could curtail tuition increases (tie to CPI) while rewarding top academic students with tuition cuts like Seton Hall is doing.

Two quick points.

From what I hear, and who knows if its true, Fr. Harrington may be around until 2020 when St. John's celebrates its sesquicentennial anniversary. Personally, I think it is very likely. Now that the university has been transformed, he is working on improving the school's academic rep (while still adhering to the Vincentian mission) and that would be a great way to end his career.

It would be great if more than 15% of grads kicked into the alumni fund. The more money the university has, the easier it will be to help students with (non- student loan) financial aid. Realize times are tough, and indeed very tough for many, but one would think we can get the percentage up to 25%. Every dollar helps.

Back