Rachel Daly

Boo Lioinesses. Go Ferns, Matildas and USWNT (oh and Japan for my ACFC favorite Jun Endo)!

USWNT not so much

That's putting it lightly. If they make it through the weekend I'll be shocked. Need a new coach. No creativity or connection. There's a reason no USWNT u18 or u20 has made any noise in recent history, the world is catching up. And (hyperbole alert) everyone passes better than the US, has better positioning than the US, just looks more connected and motivated than the US, and is more physical than the US. Or at least that's how it seems.

That's putting it lightly. If they make it through the weekend I'll be shocked. Need a new coach. No creativity or connection. There's a reason no USWNT u18 or u20 has made any noise in recent history, the world is catching up. And (hyperbole alert) everyone passes better than the US, has better positioning than the US, just looks more connected and motivated than the US, and is more physical than the US. Or at least that's how it seems.
PS I can't believe I stayed up til 2:15am for that dreck.

I think it is a combination of the team being wrecked by injuries (Mallory Swanson, Catarina Macario,Sam Mewis and Becky Saurbraun), the coaching (both tactically and selections), and teams around the world have improved. It isn’t a four team tournament anymore.

Team needed to move on from Rapinoe. She has too much say in the locker room and nowhere near the talent level anymore.

Carli Lloyd was less than complimentary about her former teammates especially celebrations after getting out of the group and even mentioned a change was needed before the WC.

Doubt the team beats Sweden. But maybe it is the best for the program in the long run because the USSF runs the women’s program as a fraternity just as it does the men’s side.

Agree about Rapinoe on the field, not in the locker room. She, O'Hara, Horan, Dunn and Ertz need to be coaches in the locker room on sideline and on the field.

But yeah all the injuries you mentioned have hurt, Mal is a huge loss, Sauerbrun too. If Sauerbrun is there then Ertz can play mid and help with play plus on field coaching on spacing and strategy more. I know she's not the player she was four years ago, I watch her every week, but she's still an upgrade over Sullivan. And Mal Has been the best player on the team the past two years.

With cousin rose out I would start cook and move Julie to mid with Horan and demelo. Not sure what to do up front they all look ineffective, all direct runs, never more than one pass. Williams looked the best of them last night.

Agree about Rapinoe on the field, not in the locker room. She, O'Hara, Horan, Dunn and Ertz need to be coaches in the locker room on sideline and on the field.

But yeah all the injuries you mentioned have hurt, Mal is a huge loss, Sauerbrun too. If Sauerbrun is there then Ertz can play mid and help with play plus on field coaching on spacing and strategy more. I know she's not the player she was four years ago, I watch her every week, but she's still an upgrade over Sullivan. And Mal Has been the best player on the team the past two years.

With cousin rose out I would start cook and move Julie to mid with Horan and demelo. Not sure what to do up front they all look ineffective, all direct runs, never more than one pass. Williams looked the best of them last night.
I still believe that Rapinoe has too much sway. Not healthy for moving forward. The program will be better off when she is gone.

At least Horan talks less and plays like she cares.

There are plenty of problems with this team that have been discussed, but the lack of a true finisher up top, ala Lloyd, is painfully apparent. They also seem to be getting overrun in the midfield and I shudder to think what a big physical team like Sweden are going to do to them.

Everybody was all rah rah for this team, all the commercials, interviews ad nauseum, but they've been lackluster leading up to the tourny. Their last friendly against Wales, who aren't even in the field, they struggled, didn't look good, and managed just two late goals to salvage the win. This was apparent coming into it but the talking heads, whose job it is to hype the team and the games, with the late exception of Lloyd, were/are painfully oblivious to it.

I hope I'm proven wrong, but it looks like they'll be out after they play Sweden.

I've had some time to reflect and I say blow it all up. As an intro Crystal's been weak this tourney as well. Smith is ill suited to the wing and Alex hasn't looked great. If ZA insists on a 4-3-3 here's my lineup:

G: Naher
D: Fox, Cook, Girma, O'Hara or Sonnet
M: Demelo, Ertz, Horan
W: Rodman, Williams
S: Smith

PS I got to watch a bit of UK/China yesterday when I got home and Daly is a player for sure. Like many of the European teams just such crisp passing, less reliance on 1v1 penetrating runs, 1 touch and move it to the open player, constant movement. Total Football. ;) Pleasure to watch.

Back