R.I.P. Tony Sirico, AKA Paulie of Sopranos

the day we learned of Tony Sirico's passing, my wife, my daughter and I went back and watched the Sopranos Pine Barrens episode, one of the best hours EVER to be on television. Superb writing, acting, directing, editing, absolutely outstanding. Funny poignant and of course a bit violent.

Best scene in the episode is when Tony Soprano is meeting Bobby Bacala at Uncle Junior's to drive down to the Pine Barrens to find Paulie and Christopher, and Bobby comes out all dressed up for a hunting expedition, camaflouge and all, Tony starts laughing his ass off---apparently James Gandolfini had no idea what Steve Schiripa was going to look like when he came through the doorway. Jimmy G.'s response was actual, and the producers liked it so much they left it in the script and show.

I believe a St. John's Graduate was a major contributor to the writing on the Sopranos. A more minor character who appears later in the run, is also a SJU grad, he played a wise guy who ended up leaving NJ for a pancake joint up in Maine or VT or something like that.

the day we learned of Tony Sirico's passing, my wife, my daughter and I went back and watched the Sopranos Pine Barrens episode, one of the best hours EVER to be on television. Superb writing, acting, directing, editing, absolutely outstanding. Funny poignant and of course a bit violent.

Best scene in the episode is when Tony Soprano is meeting Bobby Bacala at Uncle Junior's to drive down to the Pine Barrens to find Paulie and Christopher, and Bobby comes out all dressed up for a hunting expedition, camaflouge and all, Tony starts laughing his ass off---apparently James Gandolfini had no idea what Steve Schiripa was going to look like when he came through the doorway. Jimmy G.'s response was actual, and the producers liked it so much they left it in the script and show.

I believe a St. John's Graduate was a major contributor to the writing on the Sopranos. A more minor character who appears later in the run, is also a SJU grad, he played a wise guy who ended up leaving NJ for a pancake joint up in Maine or VT or something like that.
Paulie after getting garbled info from Tony about their target being a trained Russian assassin for the Interior Department who killed 60 Chehnyans:

"You're not gonna believe this. He killed sixteen Czechoslovakians. The guy was an interior decorator!"

Christopher: "Really? His apartment looked like shit."

Still one of the funniest moments on TV.

Met Steve Shiripa at a St Jude's benefit at O'Niells in Maspeth about 5 years ago. Hell of a nice guy. That's the same event I had the chance to met and chat with the late, great Rod Gilbert. Heres a little useless Sopranos trivia: 2 prominent cast members, Vincent Curatola and Drea DeMatteo, attended the same high school as my daughter, Loyola.

Vito Spatafore

Joseph Gannascoli was born and raised in Brooklyn In the 1980s, he attended St John’s university for two years, majoring in communications ppl

Paulie after getting garbled info from Tony about their target being a trained Russian assassin for the Interior Department who killed 60 Chehnyans:

"You're not gonna believe this. He killed sixteen Czechoslovakians. The guy was an interior decorator!"

Christopher: "Really? His apartment looked like shit."

Still one of the funniest moments on TV.
Went and rewatched that scene the day he passed. Great scene. Christopher’s answer was perfect. And, of course, fighting over the ketchup packets.

Urban Pro League name

Paulie Walnut's Flying Circus. Unfortunately there wasn't much flying on our team...

Easily the best character on the show.

"Bag up those rolls for ma"

RedStormNC, thanks for that clip, now I understand Tony's laughing so much better, very, very funny stuff.

I found the guy who wrote and produced for The Sopranos from St. John's he is Terence Winter from Season 2- to the end. NYU undergrad and SJU Law. Also involved in Boardwalk Empire. And wrote the screenplay for The Wolf of Wall Street, directed by Martin Scorsese.

Back