Olympics

"Head Fencing Coach Yury Gelman will serve as an assistant coach for the United States and Tunisia."

How does one person coach two teams?

Lebron & KD a combined 13-13 from the field for 33 points at halftime. US up 58-49 over Serbia.

Call me a dinosaur but I miss the days when the Olympics were truly an amateur sporting event. When our college kids were perfectly able to handle other national teams until those teams started using seasoned pros. But I guess as the NIL garbage has so clearly showed us, there is no such thing as collegiate level amateur sports anymore.

Subscribed to Peacock for the month ($7.99) to be able to watch all the tennis matches. Watched Djokovic and Rafa play for likely the last time - Djoker won in straight sets but Rafa really tested him in second set. Love the Olympics.

Call me a dinosaur but I miss the days when the Olympics were truly an amateur sporting event. When our college kids were perfectly able to handle other national teams until those teams started using seasoned pros. But I guess as the NIL garbage has so clearly showed us, there is no such thing as collegiate level amateur sports anymore.
One of the primary motivators of this back in the day was the fact that USSR athletes were government "employees" and as their sports dominance grew other countries saw them as professionals and were trying to level the playing field. Once the cat was out of the bag . . .

Felt good for the men’s gymnastics team. They seem like a bunch of really good guys and were easy to root for. They were having fun and encouraging one another to succeed.

I felt they represented the best in the American spirit and what the Olympics should be all about.

The commentator’s line about it is rare when you see bronze medalists smile as much as the gold medalists was spot on.

Side note: On the opposite end, China looked like the most miserable silver medalists in the history to silver medals. I guess it must not easy to go back home knowing Xi Ping watched you lose to your gymnastics rival, Japan.

Back