New York did win a championship last night...

A title, is a title, is a title. And they did beat a certain MLS team you are familiar with in the US Open Cup. ;) :p

All jokes aside, it would not be an outrageous statement that to claim that once the Cosmos join MLS, they would instantly become the most popular franchise.

Never gonna happen ;)
I got a jersey for you :)

Never is too much of an absolute. I will remain hopefull of something being worked out.

If by jersey, you mean the Cosmos just buying the MLS team that plays in Harrison, New Jersey, I will pass. :)

There only chance to join MLS is to come up with the 100 million franchise fee that NYC FC paid otherwise it doesn't matter what they say or do they aren't getting in.

Pele is still my all time favorite player. Loved the old time Cosmos. Still remember them beating the European champions Barcelona with Maradona on the team.

Cosmos have the money. They mostly don't want to play by MLS rules. Now they have cost themselves a shot with NYCFC involved. Their only chance now is to buy out Red Bulls. MLS can't handle 3 teams in one city.

Moose, everything is tied to a stadium deal. If the Cosmos ever get the ok to build a soccer specific stadium by Belmont or the old Roosevelt race track, then all bets are off. That will force both the MLS and the Cosmos to come to the table.

If the Cosmos get a stadium of their own, in addition to the already large resources from ownership, they will toy around with the NASL.

All together now: Clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap...Cosmos!

It still is and always will be the best logo in sports.

I know you love your Cosmos and 3-4 years ago it would have been a great story. They should have sucked it up and played by MLS rules to start and then try to break the mold after entry. Hmmmm that sounds familiar :)

Any politician who gives them any money to build a new stadium with that capacity when their attendance shows no signs of coming anywhere close to that needs their head checked. Their only hope is that years years years down the line Promotion and Relegation happens. I tend to think in MLS it could happen down the road.

they aren't asking for public money fyi.

You are correct. They will build it themselves. Just need Nassau County approval (that will not be an easy negotiation).

Didnt realize that but why commit land to a stadium that will sit half empty or even more? The retail and other add ons aren't enough.

NYCFC is strugglig to find land for a stadium and they averaged 29k people.
Man City will continue to struggle to find space until they look outside of the 5 boroughs, Tbh I'd prefer something around 12k next to MCU park than 25k in Belmont but I'd take either, from what I gather pols aren't really concerned about attendance but rather the rfp as a whole, partly because the Cosmos would be just 15 events out of a much larger schedule, and partly because the hotel,mall,parkland, and restaurants in the cosmos plan eclipse the stadium itself. Also the footprint of a 25,000 seat stadium isn't much more than that of a 12,000 seat stadium. That said if this was a sure thing the state wouldn't be waiting 2 years to not answer a rfp.

Back